Ok wierd, blood sugar issue

kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
I was afraid to take my nite time bs, in fact I wasn't going to. We had a work potluck today, all mexican food. I even had a little bit of sweets. But I did get pretty full, but not uncomfortable. I went and worked out at the gym, and came home and took it. It was136!! Low for me! My question is how?

Replies

• well reason it was probibly low is because of what you did after you ate the meal, you went and worked out .
    Its a proven fact that working our or exersizing after the meal will help lower it some!

Good luck! and keep up with the lower numbers!

also helps if you drink lots of water? that could ahve also been it too
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Exercise is a miracle for my numbers. I started taking my blood sugar right before going for a walk and right after I get back and it isn't unusual for me to see a good 50-point drop. It is good to know, as if I have something higher in carbs there is something I can do right away to help my body process that glucose better!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Right now, I try not to overthink things because my head will explode. My highest number used to always be in the morning so I was convinced my body had dawn syndrome, but then my AM fasting numbers started to drop. I also had higher numbers right after exercising from a glucose dump, then it stopped after a few weeks of regular workouts, although my before dinner numbers on workout days are usually higher than non workout days (I get home from aquasize class about 30 minutes before dinner).

I just don't get all of the nuances of this thing so I am trying to concentrate on what I do get: no more than 180 carbs per day, spread out over my 5 meals.
  • kamaperry
    Had NO idea exercise would affect it this much!! I too have higher morning numbers than afternoon numbers. Weird. I guess it will straighten itself out as I keep working on it. Right now I am trying to stay under 200 carbs a day, then I will lower it.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    I also have a really difficult time with the morning in comparison to the afternoon. If I go over 15 g of carbs with breakfast I know that my 2-hour reading will be higher than I want it to be. I think that breakfast can be a challenge anyhow. I never noticed how many breakfast foods were so loaded with carbs until I *had* to start taking note.

Right now I like to stay under 100 carbs (trying to stick closer to 50-75) daily and I aim for readings that are below 120 2 hours after eating. I know that might sound really restrictive, but I think we all function optimally at different levels!
  • kamaperry
    I also have a really difficult time with the morning in comparison to the afternoon. If I go over 15 g of carbs with breakfast I know that my 2-hour reading will be higher than I want it to be. I think that breakfast can be a challenge anyhow. I never noticed how many breakfast foods were so loaded with carbs until I *had* to start taking note.

Right now I like to stay under 100 carbs (trying to stick closer to 50-75) daily and I aim for readings that are below 120 2 hours after eating. I know that might sound really restrictive, but I think we all function optimally at different levels!
    tell me about it, mornings are the worst!
    I'm all new to this carb thing, I was always about the fat and calories, so I am having to start from square one.I know when I start Atkins, I will be really low on the carbs.
  • MissReena73
    MissReena73 Posts: 25
    Is your morning number high before or after breakfast? Some people will experience a higher number before a meal if they have gone a really long time between supper or their snack the night before, and the reading in the morning. There is a name for it, but I forget what it is called.

I try to have a snack with protein before I go to bed. Just a small one, like maybe some wheat thins and peanut butter. And make sure to have protein with your breakfast as well. It helps your levels from spiking so much.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Why Is Blood Sugar Highest in the Morning? A likely culprit may be the often dreaded dawn phenomenon.

http://bloodsugar101.com/
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Why Is Blood Sugar Highest in the Morning? A likely culprit may be the often dreaded dawn phenomenon.

This with respect to the morning high carb count. Before I started on a ketogenic diet my first morning readings were 120-135 or so, even if I had fairly low carb counts the day before. Now that I am keto my morning blood sugar has been averaging 111 and today it was 96. It took some time to get here, though. Everyone's body is different and you will have to learn through trial and error what your body wants and what level of daily carb intake it can tolerate. I try to keep my carb intake below 50g a day. There's a lot of conflicting "research" and information out there about Type 2 Diabetes and how to eat for it, but the best way is to listen to people's personal experiences with T2 and their dietary changes. There will be a lot of people out there who will try to help you by telling you that low carb is a fad and bad for you, but just take it all with a grain of salt and keep tweaking your eating habits until you find what works for your body. No one can argue that you are eating wrong if it is working to keep your blood sugar low. Not preaching at you, lol, just throwing out some info that will hopefully help you as you navigate along this new path.

Keep up with the exercise, keep reaching out to this group for support, keep listening to your body and you will get this under control. You can do this!
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    The best thing kamaperry is that you tested your blood sugar even though you didn't want to. That's excellent! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Is your morning number high before or after breakfast? Some people will experience a higher number before a meal if they have gone a really long time between supper or their snack the night before, and the reading in the morning. There is a name for it, but I forget what it is called.

I try to have a snack with protein before I go to bed. Just a small one, like maybe some wheat thins and peanut butter. And make sure to have protein with your breakfast as well. It helps your levels from spiking so much.
    Before. I will try that, thanks
  • kamaperry

This with respect to the morning high carb count. Before I started on a ketogenic diet my first morning readings were 120-135 or so, even if I had fairly low carb counts the day before. Now that I am keto my morning blood sugar has been averaging 111 and today it was 96. It took some time to get here, though. Everyone's body is different and you will have to learn through trial and error what your body wants and what level of daily carb intake it can tolerate. I try to keep my carb intake below 50g a day. There's a lot of conflicting "research" and information out there about Type 2 Diabetes and how to eat for it, but the best way is to listen to people's personal experiences with T2 and their dietary changes. There will be a lot of people out there who will try to help you by telling you that low carb is a fad and bad for you, but just take it all with a grain of salt and keep tweaking your eating habits until you find what works for your body. No one can argue that you are eating wrong if it is working to keep your blood sugar low. Not preaching at you, lol, just throwing out some info that will hopefully help you as you navigate along this new path.

Keep up with the exercise, keep reaching out to this group for support, keep listening to your body and you will get this under control. You can do this!
    Thanks, reallly working on my carb level. Very hard,as I really don't know much about carbs yet.
  • kamaperry
    The best thing kamaperry is that you tested your blood sugar even though you didn't want to. That's excellent! ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Thank you!!!
  • kamaperry

Looking this up, thanks
  • kamaperry
    Read the articles, I'm gonna try taking my evening dose of metformin at bedtime with my protein snack and see if that helps. The good thing is my bs comes way down during the day, especially with exercise!