swelling hands while exercising

I have noticed for the past week every time I exercise my hands swell up to the point I can't make a fist any more and it takes about 30 minutes after I finish for them to go down is there any reason for this please help

Replies

• sezziejm
    sezziejm Posts: 147 Member
    This happens to me too ..... so, I googled it
    > Electrolyte imbalance: Electrolytes are the salts in your bloodstream, which must be kept in balance to prevent swelling in the tissues (edema). When you sweat, you lose salt. When you eat too much salt, you body has to work to balance it with more fluid. Either way, you may have swelling. Appropriate use of a sports drink that replaces electrolytes, as well as taking in the right volume of fluid (not too much, not too little) are key to maintaining electrolyte balance. This happens alot when I go out walking with my friend ... we look a right pair walking about waving our hand's in the air lol.... we're also buggers for not taking a drink with us......... fear of having to bop behind a tree!!! ;)
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    At least its not just me x
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    This happens to me too ..... so, I googled it
    > Electrolyte imbalance: Electrolytes are the salts in your bloodstream, which must be kept in balance to prevent swelling in the tissues (edema). When you sweat, you lose salt. When you eat too much salt, you body has to work to balance it with more fluid. Either way, you may have swelling. Appropriate use of a sports drink that replaces electrolytes, as well as taking in the right volume of fluid (not too much, not too little) are key to maintaining electrolyte balance. This happens alot when I go out walking with my friend ... we look a right pair walking about waving our hand's in the air lol.... we're also buggers for not taking a drink with us......... fear of having to bop behind a tree!!! ;)

Thank you. I have the same problem when I walk. Both hands will swell to the point that I can't close them. At least now I know where to start so I can find help for the problem!
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    This happens to me all the time!!!!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Happens to me too - especially when it's hot.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    I just found this on the net, hope it helps:

Theories on Causes
    Weather:

Many walkers say long walks in warm weather lead to hand swelling.

Some walkers reported the problem more often in cool weather.

Some walkers thought that higher altitude contributed to more swelling.

Electrolyte imbalance: Electrolytes are the salts in your bloodstream, which must be kept in balance to prevent swelling in the tissues (edema). When you sweat, you lose salt. When you eat too much salt, you body has to work to balance it with more fluid. Either way, you may have swelling. Appropriate use of a sports drink that replaces electrolytes, as well as taking in the right volume of fluid (not too much, not too little) are key to maintaining electrolyte balance.
    Drinking Guidelines for Distance Walkers

Arm Motion (or lack of it): There is some debate on whether certain types of arm motion force more fluid into the hands by "centrifugal force." Walking with your hands constantly below your heart makes it more difficult for the circulatory system to return your blood flow back from your hands.

Racewalking coach Bonnie Stein of Acewalker.com describes "blood pooling." Our leg muscles are working hard during a walk and help return blood from the lower body. Despite this, your feet still swell as much as a full shoe size during a long walk. The arm muscles are smaller and in less use when walking, so they don't help as much in returning blood from the hands. This may lead to the swelling.