Would you ever buy a bikini...

Would you ever buy a bikini, even though you know you'd never wear it in public???

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was thinking of purchasing a bikini to buy and use as a progress shot outfit, something that is revealing enough to show my true progress because most of my clothes are baggy. I know I will never wear one in public because I have a TON of stretch marks on my belly and so far with 25+ lbs lost, I've started to see that my belly button area is sagging and the wrinkly looking from my stretch marks. I know over time this is supposed to improve some. I see so many people in bikinis that they've lsot weight and now it looks amazing on them, and I just wonder what they thought when they first bought it, if that's why they bought one. I haven't worn a bikini since I was in my very early 20s, and now I'm 40, had a kid, and had carried extra weight on me since my mid to late 20s, so 15-20 yrs of being overweight and carrying a lot in my belly area, so lots of stretch marks.

Does this sound like a stupid idea? :/

Replies

• Yes. My goal is to be comfortable to wear a bikini, though chances of me wearing it to the beach is probably never gonna happen. Silly idea, No. Sorry, should have specified.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    I think it's a great idea. Do what will help you reach your goals. If you're uncomfortable wearing it for swimming, you csn always throw a tank top over it, so you're covered but still wearing your bikini. I'll probably never wear just a bikini in public, but I want to get to the point of knowing I could, and the stretch marks I have can suck it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    It's not a stupid idea. I think it is a fine idea. I buy lingerie to wear at home and not in public. That's the same idea. It's ok to buy an article of clothing for photos, or for an at home purpose, or for any reason that makes you happy. Progress photos are a great reason to buy a bikini. The only thing is that when you lose, you may need a smaller one. You can buy it at sale time at a thrifty store.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    I weight 220 lbs and I wore a bikini to the beach today....it was hard to find a size18 but I did - a Gottex, blue and red.
    I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear it in a crowd tho :) I might be stoned to death. I was remembering the story
    of the Ugly Duckling and how after the winter alone she decided to throw herself in front of the swans expecting to
    be pecked to death....
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Would you ever buy a bikini, even though you know you'd never wear it in public???

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was thinking of purchasing a bikini to buy and use as a progress shot outfit, something that is revealing enough to show my true progress because most of my clothes is baggy. I know I will never wear one in public because I have a TON of stretch marks on my belly and so far with 25+ lbs lost, I've started to see that my belly button area is sagging and the wrinkly looking from my stretch marks. I know over time this is supposed to improve some. I see so many people in bikinis that they've lsot weight and now it looks amazing on them, and I just wonder what they thought when they first bought it, if that's why they bought one. I haven't worn a bikini since I was in my very early 20s, and now I'm 40, had a kid, and had carried extra weight on me since my mid to late 20s, so 15-20 yrs of being overweight and carrying a lot in my belly area, so lots of stretch marks.

Does this sound like a stupid idea? :/

Go for it! I'd buy it in the size you want to be so you can see how much closer you get to looking the way you want in it. Then when you hit your goal you'll feel amazing looking back at all those progress shots!
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    I think it's a great idea. Do what will help you reach your goals. If you're uncomfortable wearing it for swimming, you csn always throw a tank top over it, so you're covered but still wearing your bikini. I'll probably never wear just a bikini in public, but I want to get to the point of knowing I could, and the stretch marks I have can suck it.

That's where I am about knowing I'd probably never wear one in public, at least not confidently because of my terrible stretch marks, but the idea of having it as a gauge interests me for sure! Thanks for your input! :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Go for it,by all means.whenever you 'll feel down,those pics will tell you how far you have come.
    May be some day you 'll feel like wearing one in beach!
    Happy shopping.... a gal needs her dose of pampering...
  • mimiteh35
    Go for it! I'd buy it in the size you want to be so you can see how much closer you get to looking the way you want in it. Then when you hit your goal you'll feel amazing looking back at all those progress shots!

That's what I'm hoping is the feeling of seeing the progress shots, though not sure I'd post myself in a bikini online to anyone either, lol.

I honestly wouldn't even know what a goal size would be, I've been a smallest an 18 since I was in my mid 20s, my biggest was a size 24... the idea makes me excited to see progress though, most of my progress shots (like in my profile pic) you can't see much after that weight because its all hidden under baggy clothes, most of my clothes were baggy to begin with before weight loss, lol.

This comment of yours makes me like "YEAH! I WILL!" lol
  • mimiteh35
    It's not a stupid idea. I think it is a fine idea. I buy lingerie to wear at home and not in public. That's the same idea. It's ok to buy an article of clothing for photos, or for an at home purpose, or for any reason that makes you happy. Progress photos are a great reason to buy a bikini. The only thing is that when you lose, you may need a smaller one. You can buy it at sale time at a thrifty store.

True! Thanks! :)
  • Everyone should feel comfortable in a bikini at the beach tans are slimming, Me me I go beyond a bikini at the beach I just wear a bikini thong when I was bigger my bikini was actually even smaller no one ever looked at me in a bad way the only comments I ever got were good and friendly.
    I'm not like weird I live in Spain and I hate tan lines haha.

I think its a good idea youll see your improvement so much more and maybe one day you will want to wear it in public.
  • mimiteh35
    Go for it,by all means.whenever you 'll feel down,those pics will tell you how far you have come.
    May be some day you 'll feel like wearing one in beach!
    Happy shopping.... a gal needs her dose of pampering...

Isn't that the truth about the pampering! Since starting my weight loss, I never realized how frumpy I let myself go, I bought my first pair of leggings and was comfortable wearing them in public this past winter/fall, I always wore baggy pants before that, and I've found myself wanting to wear makeup and doing my nails... I never realized that as I put on the pounds, I kinda let everything I used to enjoy doing to pamper myself go. I used to say I couldn't justify it because I worked from home on midnights, so I slept during the day and didn't get out much, and now I'm like eyeballing that Urban Decay Naked palette! I WANT to do stuff for myself now... of course it helps that I have a 13-year-old soon-to-be-stepdaughter who is starting to get into clothes/makeup so it gets me excited to do stuff like that.

So far with the positive responses from everyone, I'm not feeling like its such a bad/stupid idea afterall and getting excited about the idea! :) Thanks for your input!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    LOL, I just did. To wear to see my progress fully with no clothes in the way. I already lost 25 lbs doing this and had no pics to show the results. I want pics now so I felt the more body I can see the better.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    <===that's not me in my profile pic. I just read your profile, we should be friends. Send me a request and I will accept you.
  • mimiteh35
    Everyone should feel comfortable in a bikini at the beach tans are slimming, Me me I go beyond a bikini at the beach I just wear a bikini thong when I was bigger my bikini was actually even smaller no one ever looked at me in a bad way the only comments I ever got were good and friendly.
    I'm not like weird I live in Spain and I hate tan lines haha.

I think its a good idea youll see your improvement so much more and maybe one day you will want to wear it in public.

I don't think I'd ever be that comfortable, lol... and I haven't had a tan line worth hating because I rarely go to the beach anymore as I moved to a small town not near a coastal area....but I do have a trip summer 2015 planned to go visit my family in California to plan ahead for......

but, I have to admit, my fiance is loving what squats are doing for my backside, so I did purchase for the first time in my life some thong panties (which I was surprised that I found COMFORTABLE to wear) and while I have an overhanging belly at the moment in the front, well, between the squats and the thong, lets just say he appreciated it. ;) He took a pic of me so I could see what I look like, it was from the side so unfortunately it looks like I'm wearing nothing on the bottom, and I had a tank-top on top so it covered the belly, but I will just say I was excited to see that the squats and lunges are working wonders for my back side. Also, seeing that pic is part of why I was thinking of getting the bikini pic because I was excited to see that difference since I've never been able to see pics of my own backside/legs because all my pants have always been baggy, even my shorts are baggy. :D
  • mimiteh35
    LOL, I just did. To wear to see my progress fully with no clothes in the way. I already lost 25 lbs doing this and had no pics to show the results. I want pics now so I felt the more body I can see the better.

Yay, I'm not the only one who has wanted to do this! :) I am the same way, I lost originally 32, but hit a plateau and then got derailed (won't go into the excuses) and am trying to get re-motivated and while my profile pic I added to help me see what I've done so far, I want to see better progress so I can help keep me motivated and remember how far I've come. :)
  • mimiteh35
    yes, I have several bikinis that I do not wear in public, only at home

lol, maybe you should wear in public, ya never know... Jim Carrey did something similar, and it looked so awesome people took pics and put it online! ;)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Yes. My goal is to be comfortable to wear a bikini, though chances of me wearing it to the beach is probably never gonna happen. Silly idea, No. Sorry, should have specified.

Sorry for highjacking the original thread to reply to this, but your photo got me curious on why you would not wear a bikini and then I show your profile and diary. The reason you will never wear a bikini in public is because soon you will be dead. Not just ill, but dead. No one survives on 300 calories per day. Get off this site and talk to a dr. You are young, and you are killing yourself.
  • mimiteh35
    I weight 220 lbs and I wore a bikini to the beach today....it was hard to find a size18 but I did - a Gottex, blue and red.
    I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear it in a crowd tho :) I might be stoned to death. I was remembering the story
    of the Ugly Duckling and how after the winter alone she decided to throw herself in front of the swans expecting to
    be pecked to death....

Pshhh, I couldn't even wear one outside in front of my own kids lol. I get self-conscious about my belly area, been asked way too many times how far along am I.... I haven't been pregnant since 2001. lol

and I wish I was on a beach right now, even at my heaviest I still loved the beach and didn't let my weight keep me from going, just not in a bikini lol.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Buy the bikini, I am going to as well :smile: I actually do have a goal to wear one again! I may even where teh top with surf shorts this summer but by next summer I want to actually be on the beach in a bikini! It will be just about the bravest thing I have ever done! You could always buy a bikini that you can mix and match and buy a tankini too so you can wear it with the bottoms on the beach/at the pool :wink: