What's your go-to low cal snack?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for suggestions on low cal snacks. I am busting my budget with all the fresh veggies (yum!) but I'm looking for new ideas that might be wallet friendly...

suggestions?

Recipes would be helpful (if it requires preperation) Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    whole natural almonds- 24 for 160 cals
    string cheese 70 cals
    dark mocha almond kashi bar 130 cals
    protein shake with pb2 and almond milk 185 cals
    4oz of danon light & fit yogurt with 13g granola cereal 110 cals
    100g of veggies with half a slice of chedder melted on top 80 cals
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com)
    about 10 g protein, about 10 g fiber, about 100 calories - sugar free, gluten free

You can usually get coupon codes from www.retailmenot.com, and enter "Carbolite".
  • kmajaVCU
    kmajaVCU Posts: 33 Member
    Things I love:
    Kind Bards
    Quest Bars
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Walnuts
    One slice of wheat bread (cut into two triangle slices so it's like I get 2 slices lol) w/ jam or butter
    Half a banana + coffee
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Edamame
    Greek yogurt

The list goes on... lol!
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    20 bananas
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    okay, this will sound really strange, but it works for me. In the baby food aisle, I found flavored puffs... the finger food that is generally one of baby's first intros to solids... looks like cereal puffs. There are 25 calories per 1/2 c serving.... and about 5 servings per container... that means if I really wanted to, I could eat the whole container for only 125 calories. The puffs come in both fruit and vegie flavors... haven't ventured into the vegie flavor yet, but really like the banana flavored. Plus this "snack" has vitamin packed....

on a side note... also saw toddler servings of mac/cheese in small portions for like around 125 cal or so a serving... am tempted to try it to quench my random pasta craving...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Carrots
    Plain nonfat Greek yogurt (with or without fruit)

It's the only low cal snacks that really sorta fill me up.
  • ccorleto
    ccorleto Posts: 5 Member
    Really??????? That is awesome! Never thought about this.....Do you remember the name of them?
  • ccorleto
    So in the produce section I found these "Dipperz Crunpaks" Apples with Carmel dip or chocolate dip....the chocolate one is 70 calories and fill sme up when I need that afternoon snack til dinner....
  • ccorleto
    Really??????? That is awesome! Never thought about this.....Do you remember the name of them?
    okay, this will sound really strange, but it works for me. In the baby food aisle, I found flavored puffs... the finger food that is generally one of baby's first intros to solids... looks like cereal puffs. There are 25 calories per 1/2 c serving.... and about 5 servings per container... that means if I really wanted to, I could eat the whole container for only 125 calories. The puffs come in both fruit and vegie flavors... haven't ventured into the vegie flavor yet, but really like the banana flavored. Plus this "snack" has vitamin packed....

on a side note... also saw toddler servings of mac/cheese in small portions for like around 125 cal or so a serving... am tempted to try it to quench my random pasta craving...
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Carrots & hummus
    Cucumber slices & salsa
    Greek yogurt
    Piece of fruit
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    String Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Sliced turkey with cheese rolled up in it
    Rice Crackers and hummus
    Laughing cow cheese on toast.......

They change a lot cuz I tend to get bored! But usually cheese in incorporated cuz it's extra fat and protein to keep me satiated!!!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Fruit if I need sugar. Boiled eggs if I need protein.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694

They're made by Gerber and come in a plastic cylinder type container - I think other brands make them too, but my kids (long ago) and my neices (now) eat the Gerber ones...
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    fiber one 90 cal brownies are good (but not too filling), almonds, also i like carb smart tortillas (80 cal 9g carbs) with meatless meatballs and a 1/8 cup of pasta sauce (very filling for 240 calories). There are low calorie cape cod potato puffed chips (bbq and ranch at 110 calories/ serving)...i get those at job lot for 2 bucks a bag and each bag has four servings
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    String cheese - 70 to 80 calories
    Edamame - 130 calories for a quarter cup
    Kosher dill pickle spears - 5 calories per
    Baby carrot "snack packs" - 25 calories
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Banana
    Apple
    Nuts
    Hard boiled egg
    Tuna salad cup made with very little light mayo
    Quest bar
    Kind bar
    1 tbsp PB on wheat toast

All of those are at or around 200 calories. The quest and kind bars are a little pricey, but the rest can be very affordable if buying in bulk or from trader joe's :)
  • 1) Quaker oats chewy bars are fairly priced and all range from 60-160 calories.

2) Rice cakes are like 100 calories each and come in delicious flavors!

3) Crackers!! Definitely crackers, 12 for 120? Come around $1.00 at most stores.

4) Fiber One brownies are 100 calories each :)

5) V8 drinks, mostly any fruit drink is around 60

6) WYLERS LIGHT DRINK PACKETS! :) They're $1.00 and there are two servings in every pack! (10 packs = 20 servings) :)
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member

Neato!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Frigo light cheese sticks. 50 calories.
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    awesome suggestions everyone! (funny how we're pretty much all eating the same things. hahaha!)