C25K treadmill speed when running

I want to try to this a C25K program that I found online but here are no speeds on the chart though. When I walk on the treadmill I normally do 3.7mph and will use that for the walking portion of the workout. Anyone have any suggestions for a running speed? I really don't run on a regular basis, so I am at a complete loss! I would apperciate the help!

Replies

• Sinda
    Sinda Posts: 13
    I'm also doing C25K, i walk at 3 mph and run at 6 mph, but honestly, i think you should just do w/e is comfortable for you. i'm on my third week, going strong, but i know i might have some weeks that i'll have to repeat because i'm really not that great at running. lol
    i guess just think of the program as an outline. my goal is to be able to complete a 5k at any speed. and then when i'm comfortable with it, i'll increase my pace. i hope this helps. lol :)
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    I usually walk 3-4mph too and all I can manage is 5.9-6.5mph when running (well more like jogging). I can't run/sprint.

The Couch to 5K does really work though! It built my stamina!

Have fun! :smile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I agree with Sinda - do what you are comfortable with. I can tell you that I've completed C25K and I don't think I could sustain 6 mph for a whole session! I can comfortably run at about 5 to 5.5 mph, and am working on increasing my endurance. You'll have to experiment and see what speed you can maintain for the C25K intervals.

Good luck! It's so worth doing - I've done 2 5ks since completing C25K and have signed up for a 10K. Goal is to do a half marathon in October! (And I'm someone who used to say I hated running...)
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    I agree with Sinda. Run at the speed where you're comfortable. It's good to run on an incline if you're going to be starting on the treadmill. A 1-2% incline is recommended to help make the transition to running outdoors easier. When I started the C25K program I ran on the treadmill at 4 mph at a 5% incline and walked at 2 mph. When I started running outside it translated to a 12 minute mile at my first 5K. It's always better to start out slow and build your speed. If you try going too fast you run the risk of an injury. Also if you start off too fast and can't finish it can be very discouraging. Start out slow and then once you have built your endurance you can work on speed.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    The great thing about C25K is that you can do it at whatever speed works for you. I did it at a slow/moderate jog, but I know people who did faster running or walking only. I started with C25K and loved it so much that a year later I ran a 1/2 marathon! I would recommend starting out at the treadmill speed that you are used to, and try to bump it up each workout until you get something that is difficult but not impossible. The whole thing about C25K is to make sure that you can finish each workout, even if you have to slow down to walking - the most important thing is to just keep going! :)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    its totally different for everyone.

I actually just ran my first 5K on New Years Day thanks to C25K :noway:

I usually walk at 5-5.5 and run somewhere between 6.7-7.5 depending how I'm feeling.

My suggestion is to get a heart rate monitor (if you don't already have one) and use your heart rate to determine your speed. Thats how I started and it works really well for me. In fact I still use my HRM to help me keep my pace when I'm running.

Good luck with C25K! Remember that your recovery days between runs are just as important as your running days. Stretch Stretch Stretch!
  • Hi there,
    I would suggest walking on an incline of 1.5-2.0 at 3.8-4.2 first.

Unless you are used to running, I suggest this alternative because it's better for your joints and increases your heart rate.
    Let me know your thoughts! Gen
  • Thanks everyone! I will see what I am comfortable with when I am at the gym. I like the incline idea. I enjoy walking at an incline so I will for sure try that! Thanks Ananotbanana and genholly for the tips on incline! I will probably start this next Monday (I have a bad kidney infection now and not up to much!) Happy New Year!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I walk at 3.5 and run at 5-5.0, on a .5% incline. One time I bumped the incline up to 1.5% and my hips seized up and I had to stop working out completely! So...like others have said, just see what feels good for you...good like pushing it but not hurting.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    i would like to start this also and have the same question. if i am going to walk for about 30mins i can only go about 2.5mph. if i am just trying to get a mile in i can go 2.7mph. i do have a little incline on as well. i have never tried to run on it though, or even jogged. scared to death,. any suggestions?? :huh:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    i would like to start this also and have the same question. if i am going to walk for about 30mins i can only go about 2.5mph. if i am just trying to get a mile in i can go 2.7mph. i do have a little incline on as well. i have never tried to run on it though, or even jogged. scared to death,. any suggestions?? :huh:

Anything over like a 4.2 or so is jogging speed for me. I'm short :) Just increase the speed until you are jogging..you will be FINE!! If you freak out you can always put your hands on the side rails and push up to get your feet off the mill and onto the sides. It's only a big deal until you do it once, I promise!:bigsmile:
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    bump!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    bump
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Yeah, I focus on endurance more than speed.

I do my c25k with an incline of 4.

I walk at 3 mph, jog at 4.5.

I plan to do the c25k program a few times over. Increasing speed each time.

Endurance first, speed second. For me, anyway.
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Bump
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    I tried this on a treadmill while listening to a c25k podcast. I had to start slow, as I am just getting in shape again. I did 3mph for the walk portion, and then moved to 4.2 for the jogging/running portion. It might be slow, but it works for me as I get better at it.
  • Bump
  • thewestwifey
    thewestwifey Posts: 50 Member
    Great info! Saving for later :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I walk at 3.5 MPH and run at 4.5 MPH. But if I feel especially tired I slow down.
  • missquela
    missquela Posts: 60 Member
    I walk at 3.5 and run at 5-5.0, on a .5% incline. One time I bumped the incline up to 1.5% and my hips seized up and I had to stop working out completely! So...like others have said, just see what feels good for you...good like pushing it but not hurting.

me, too. I try to run my first and last minute at a 6, and try to keep my walking pace at 3.5-4.0 but this is my general speed!