Whole30, Reset for May

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    I hear we are not supposed to log or weigh ourselves during this month too. Not sure why we are not supposed to but I am going to try the whole package and not log which is smacking at my OCD a bit but I will weigh tomorrow in the morning and be done. Otherwise I will be active in the forums and such and will be generally in the neighborhood.

This is the other reason I can't go "Whole" 30, but, like, 95% 30. Haha. I am doing a 6 month DietBet (on month 2 now), and I have to weigh myself for the game. I've actually told myself I'm going to do Whole 30 (100%) when the DietBet is over in September. Hopefully by that point I will have figured out where to buy sugar-free bacon locally, learned how to clarify butter, and found an adequate replacement to the cream in my coffee. :-)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    I am in to avoid sugar, legumes, grain and alcohol. I find i feel better when I eat dairy so I will keep that in and unsweetened chocolate and cocoa. I don't know if the chocolate is part of the real 30 but the sugar is my big concern. April is a bad month for sugar with birthdays and Easter so a reset is definitely a good idea! Thanks!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    The thinking behind not weighing or logging is that a Whole30 isn't really supposed to be a diet, per se. So you're just supposed to focus on eating healthfully and intuitively and not on losing weight/counting calories. I followed the program 100% the first time I did it (last summer). I didn't log, didn't weigh, wasn't actively trying to limit portions--I just ate what I wanted within the rules, when I was hungry. I lost 9 lbs in the month, which for me (I don't have a lot to lose) was huge.

This time, I am logging (intermittently) and weighing. And, my plan is to stick with the program after the 30 days (with a day off for my bday--a girl's gotta have her chocolate cake, right?). So far so good. I'm down 4.5 lbs in the first week. Mostly water, I know, but I'm hoping for a few more. We'll see!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    I'm in. I tried my first Whole 30 back in March. It did not go well. The first week or two were fine, and then craziness ensued. Our house sale fell apart at closing, we moved out and then back in, I got some unexpected and distressing results from my yearly blood work, etc. I spent the end of March drinking lots of red wine and pretty much made sugar my best friend for the month of April.

In general, I would say that I am about 95% Paleo all the time. I do not eat dairy with the exception of ghee and other than the odd birthday party or special event I only eat natural sugars. The 5% that doesn't fit is that I eat commercial bbq sauce (lots), for special events (birthdays/anniversaries/etc) I bake gluten free cake usually though sometimes grain free, I have alcohol about once a week (usually wine or gin, not so bad except for the tonic) and here is the big one-- I seem to have a problem with sharing my gluten-free but not Paleo husband's evening popcorn. It has become an almost nightly occurrence.

I was thinking about re-trying Whole 30 for May when I saw this post, so the extra support will be helpful. The hardest thing for me last time was breakfast (I cannot eat eggs everyday or I will find myself divorced--tmi?) and added sugars. I live on bbq sauce and without sugar it is just spicy tomato sauce. Hmm. maybe I should try that.

I am coming armed with a Pinterest-load of Whole 30 breakfast recipes and I am paying my co-workers to smack me if I whine about sugar. Sweetie has been warned not to share the popcorn. I will not swear that I won't have wine at my monthly dinner party with the girls, but I'll try to leave some in the bottle. I also don't worry about the "Paleofying" of foods because at some point you can't stress so much on the small stuff that you miss the big picture. If my Paleo pizza ingredients fit the Whole 30 then I don't see the difference in eating them individually or in pizza form. Maybe this isn't good for everyone, but it works for me because I really can't go back to my old pizza eating ways (gluten and dairy intolerant).

Be weary of pinterest whole 30 recipes as lots of them are not actually whole 30 approved..I am sure I saw a post about this topic recently on their whole 30 Facebook page

Yes, I realize that like many things on the internet in general there are people that post without a knowledge base, but as long as I know what is allowed it isn't too hard to weed out the junk. Also, I tend to be pretty familiar with the recipe blogs that I use and know that they actually know what they are doing. The main thing you find as far as Whole 30 on Pinterest that is a problem is that there are a lot of things like smoothies, breakfast muffins/sandwiches, etc that fall into the SWYPO/Paleofying category. For obvious reasons those are easy to spot and for the most part I don't really care about the SWYPO rule. I don't do much of that with the exception of desserts and I won't be having any of those this month anyway, which is sad for my mother-in-law because she wanted a Paleo "cheesecake" for Mother's Day. I may be nice to her and make it anyway, but I'm not sure I trust myself.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    ...I didn't see this.

Doing strict paleo for 30 days (not exactly a whole 30 cos i still want butter and i have a few potatoes left to eat) but minus paleo junk/sweets, chocolate and honey. Gotta get my sugar binging and cravings under control.

I tried starting yesterday but ended up falling face first into 85% chocolate block...oh well it's gone now so back to it.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    I was thinking all week the 1st was Friday so I finished up my chocolate and kefir when I got home. I will be at this in the morning like I planned just a day latter than some of us, sorry as well.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Re-starting my keto primal after having a stumble yesterday.
    I am going to limit my dairy this month as it's always been an issue for me as it mimics my sugar response.
    I seem to be able to do butter without any issue but too much cheese and I fail.
    So,I am recommitting to the next 30 days of my plan.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Re-starting my keto primal after having a stumble yesterday.
    I am going to limit my dairy this month as it's always been an issue for me as it mimics my sugar response.
    I seem to be able to do butter without any issue but too much cheese and I fail.
    So,I am recommitting to the next 30 days of my plan.

Sounds just like me. When I cut the carbs I turn to the dairy. Butter is no issue but the cheese! It helps me a bit that there's no quality cheese where I live, but only a bit. Besides carbs (starch even more than sugar!) in general, dairy is my biggest vice. And I'm not alone. I see LOTS of us Primal/Paleo folk continually justifying dairy. I used to say "I can't give up cream/cheese" and I see many others say the same. It speaks loudly to me that if something is healthful and/or harmless one should not have such an unhealthy relationship with it. For instance, I love asparagus. I'll happily eat it once or twice per week if I can get it. But not more than that. And when it's not at the store I don't give it a second thought. I love asparagus but I'm not ADDICTED to asparagus.
  • SteamClutch
    I dropped cheese a week or so back along with my Half&Half but I still had Kefir to kill off. I do not know how hard this will be for me but I had to pass on it last night which seemed easy at the time. Butter should be easy with Ghee in the house and other than that it will be my chocolate squares that I will be craving come evening.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    I was going full steam ahead and had an INSANE stress filled day on Friday and I fell into a sugar hole.
    Hoping to be back to one piece tomorrow and restarting the no sugar path again :(
  • dandelion39
    Good luck, Justaspoonful! It is hard at times. I made banana bread for the family the other day (not a paleo-friendly version in the least) and it practically killed me not to have any. Sugar is really, really tough to give up!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Good luck, Justaspoonful! It is hard at times. I made banana bread for the family the other day (not a paleo-friendly version in the least) and it practically killed me not to have any. Sugar is really, really tough to give up!
    Thanks,appreciate it :)
  • pixlamarque
    5 days in and so far so good. I have not eaten one single solitary bite of anything that isn't allowed so far. This is huge for me as I have always had that tendency to think that as long as it is just a bite it won't matter in the big scheme of things. Maybe that is true calorie and sugar intake wise, but it is certainly not true that it won't matter to the commitment I made to myself. Last time I tried Whole 30 I had my sweet mother in law poking gluten free brownies at me, saying "just one bite" and of course I didn't want to hurt her feelings...........Then my Whole 30 went crash and burn. I realize 5 days is not that long but I really think that if I made it through this past hugely crazy busy weekend without reaching for the sugar or the alcohol, I can make it through the rest.
  • dandelion39
    Good for you, pixlamarque! I think the first few days are the hardest in some ways--it's also hard once the novelty wears off and you're sick of all paleo foods!

I've been trying some new recipes to mix things up. These were both delicious:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/255438610089667578/
    (I added a jalapeno for the last 20 minutes of simmering; next time, I think I'd replace the curry with cumin)

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/255438610089667575/
    (Don't be scared by the picture--that just shows the chicken in the marinade. The final dish isn't saucy like that.)
  • SteamClutch
    Things are working well for me too but not logging is just weird for me. I hope everyone else is doing okay.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Mine is going well on day 5 also. I have got a healing crisis going on with my skin...happens when I've been bad and go back to strict paleo. But I feel better and my sugar cravings have gone ...so far :)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    So far so good. I've noticed a lot of my strong cravings have lessened. The strongest craving has been for a margarita, lol. As we ease away from Cinco de Mayo, I'm sure that will pass.
  • pixlamarque
    Thanks Dandelion. I really don't get tired of the Paleo food because I eat that way all the time, I only miss the sugar and the alcohol. It seems like ALL of my chicken recipes have honey or maple syrup in them, so I was scrambling for recipes this week. I made this chicken-- http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-whole-chicken-33671 -- in the crock pot over night. Next time I will leave out the onions and do carrots and celery instead. I put it on at bed time and got up to chicken that literally shredded itself getting it from the crock pot to the bowl. Using it with various roasted veg that I made big batches of this week (cauliflower and a carrot/mushroom mix--next up is beets and sweet potatoes). Even though I do Paleo regularly, I usually make a fresh meal just about every night, usually something time consuming from a recipe. Doing the make ahead in batches thing has been awesome.
  • SteamClutch
    Sounds yummy
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    I'm logging, just to keep things honest with myself. Otherwise, I could pretend that I didn't have the cheese I had today... :p ugh. ugh. On the other hand, did great with the carbs. So there's that.

Trying to balance a Whole 30 push with low carb and calorie counting.... bit of a juggle.