Goal reached. Family horrified.

Replies

• They just seem either jealous or scared/bummed out about their own progress or lack there of. You look amazing! Not too skinny at all. Strong and healthy lady! Keep it up
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    And for comparison, here is my face before:

07073cbba0bd4c2399bee5909545798f.jpg

And after:

3d184d4e12ca4df99777c4351448526f.jpg

You're pretty. Sodd them
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    You look fantastic. Some families hate it when you succeed at something they cannot. I know it doesn't take the hurt away but congratulations on your success. You have done an amazing job.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    I think you look amazing...........
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    YOu look fantastic.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    So about a month ago I reached my goal. I am no longer "overweight" but now am right in the middle of the "normal" bmi weight range. I weigh exactly what I did when I was 17, only I am in much better shape because I am eating healthy, and exercise 3 - 5 times a week, mainly weights but also some regular cardio.

I was skyping my family the other night, and my Dad (an ex-OIympic and professional wrestler, and a former college and professional football player, who almost completed a Ph. D in Physical Education, so he knows a lot about fitness and diet), said to me, "We have all been talking about your weight. You look awful. You are too thin. Your sister in law Kim agrees, you look bad. We think you need to gain 15 lbs." And I said, "I have only lost 30 total - that would mean putting on half my weight back." And my sister, nurse with a Ph. D in nursing and long time Professor of nursing and medicine at various universities chimed in and said, "yah, you look awful - especially YOUR FACE! EW!"

That being said, when I was this weight the last time, back in the 1990's, I was doing 4 hours of ballet a week plus cheerleading and marching band, was in great shape, and at that time these same people said, "you need to quit ballet - you are too fat. They don't take short fat girls in ballets. You need to join the football team or find a Sumo Wrestling club." AT THE SAME WEIGHT I AM NOW, where they are saying "your face - EW!"

Frankly I think I am the healthiest and in the best shape I have ever been in. What should I make of what they said? I was sad, then mad, and now I realize that I obviously have some image issues, or what they say wouldn't hurt. Or would it? Would these things hurt other people's feelings too? What do y'all think - is my face so "EW"? Do I look worse than when I started? Here is a pic, me before on the left, last August, and me now on the right. And again, I am right in the middle of the "normal" bmi range, not on the low end at all.

weightloss.png

I can't see your before and after (it's my computer, not your posting), but I did look at your profile picture. You look fine, not too thin at all. Honestly, they don't seem to like supporting you. Telling you that you're too fat and at the same weight too thin in general. And saying "ew" really doesn't even begin to be a legitimate criticism, that doesn't help a problem if they honestly saw one. That being said, they need to look at themselves and figure out why they're not encouraging you and why they feel the need to so rudely insult you.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    You look BEAUTIFUL! Ignore them. Seriously.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    You look great. Own it.

Congrats!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Your family members are @ssholes, stupid, and probably just jealous that you are dedicated to something and could follow through, which reminds them of their own failures and shortcomings, so they put you down to make themselves feel better.
  • katharine1980
    katharine1980 Posts: 45 Member
    I'm sorry your family isn't being supportive. You look great. Stay strong
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    I can not believe that your family would say such a thing... how rude! It doesn't sound like they're ever happy so I'd prob not take them very seriously... but it still hurts. No matter what, cuz they are your family. I'm sorry for that, that they are so mean. I hope you realize how good you do look! You're doing the right thing! Don't look back... you did this for you anyway, not them.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    You look great now that you are back to what you weighed when you were younger. Not sure what's up with your family's reaction, but they will adapt. It's nice they were concerned, but we all as adults quickly have to learn that family - love 'em as much as we do - are not all experts and all knowing as we thought they were growing up.

Your lifestyle change with the exercise and keeping trim are worth the effort and again, judging from the pictures you now look normal. And you have become an excellent role model for your son, which is the most important "family" member for you to worry about right now.

Just keep on, keeping on with what you are doing.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    You are absolutely beautiful!!! At first I was thinking "well maybe the weightloss made her look older" (it did for my dad but he lost a TON of weight VERY quickly with surgery) but then I saw your pics and I'm baffled by what your family said! You look younger and SO healthy!!! I have no clue why your family would say that - maybe they just aren't used to seeing you so thin? But even then I would NEVER tell my sister "ew, your face!". Sounds like a hint of jealousy maybe?
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    You look Healthy and Amazing!!! I've seen some "horrifying" pictures on here and your NOT one of them.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    The only thing "Ew" about this are your family's comments!!!

You look normal and healthy to me. Very pretty, in your before AND after! Keep going on with your bad self :drinker:
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Thanks for all the kind words everybody. I know I feel good, and I like that I can wear my old pretty clothes I used to wear, and now instead of being exhausted when I carry my son, I can walk for miles with him in my arms. It's so nice to hear supportive comments instead of insane family ones lol!

Thanks again all. :)
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    I think you look wonderful, and your weight loss makes you look young, vibrant, and healthy. I'm sorry that your family is being mean to you. Ultimately, it's your body and you get to make decisions about it.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Taking notes for when my family come out with the same c*$p, although I never listened to them when I was overweight, so I don't know why I should when I'm not.

You look great, clearly, they have issues. Nuff said.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I think you look absolutely great. Your family has no business to say that you are not healthy looking. I think they are jealous.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    That last word that comes to mind when I see your photos is "awful." You look lovely and healthy, and I love your curls! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!