Fear of getting rid of "fat clothes".

I'm kind of jumping the gun here, since I've just barely begun my journey to a new healthier me, but I feel like this stupid, silly fear could get in the way.

When I start to think about being many sizes smaller and getting to buy new clothes, the idea of this excites me. However, then I begin to think about all the clothes I have now that I will have to get rid of. For the most part, this isn't an issue.. but there's certain things like a few nice, expensive coats and dresses I have that I fear having to get rid of! Especially since I just barely got one of these coats for Christmas. (It's a Barbour jacket that I got on sale for $150, but they usually run $360... it's something I don't want to have to let go of :( ).

Is there a way to combat this train of thought? Or has anyone else experienced similar thoughts to mine? I know my family would be super proud of me for losing weight, moreso than still being able to fit into a jacket, but in the back of my mind I just get this nagging feeling that I'll be "letting my father down" for no longer being able to fit into the fancy, expensive jacket he got me. Argh!

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    have it altered! :) win win
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    ALTERED!! did that to my favorite leather skirt!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    For some of those (especially coats) you can probably just have them tailored to fit the new you when you get to that point. But otherwise, donate them and never look back! Feeling comfortable in your smaller clothes will alleviate any guilt over the old ones. :wink:
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    ok, yep! I'm right there with ya... hmmmm.. what should we do? I need a plan, a rationale, to either keep or get rid of them. What if, and I'm just thinking out loud, we donate them to a battered woman's shelter. What do you think?
  • Ditto what others have said, get it altered if that is possible.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I agree with the rest ..have it altered...or find a nice place to donate it
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    ok, yep! I'm right there with ya... hmmmm.. what should we do? I need a plan, a rationale, to either keep or get rid of them. What if, and I'm just thinking out loud, we donate them to a battered woman's shelter. What do you think?
    good idea they also have some places for women just entering the workforce and need a little clothing help..in many states
  • tbtravels
    tbtravels Posts: 43 Member
    Enjoy your beautiful coat this winter and have fun watching it "grow" while you lose weight. In the late summer or early fall, try it on and enjoy that it is too big to wear next winter season. Take it to a good tailor and have it altered. It will look amazing with a more custom fit to your body. Good luck!
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Hopefully I'll be able to get it altered once I'm down to my goal weight. It's ~supposedly~ a size 22, but fits me perfect and I wear a size 16/18 usually (potentially why it got marked down so much?), and I'm hoping to fit into a size 4/6 by the end of it all.

Thanks for all the quick replies, though!
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    lol i totally know how you feel in the past i have given my "fat" cloths to people i know or worked with so i can still see them. plus it helps them out cuz lets face it no one enjoys buying "fat" cloths. or you could ebay them for to get cash for your new wardrobe.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    I know exactly how you feel! I have lost about 70lbs so far and I have complained (to my husband mostly) about not being able to wear my clothes anymore. It does kind of suck in a way. I had a nice coat and a few nice dresses that I actually liked. I had several shirts that I liked. But, none of them fit anymore. I stil have about 30lbs more to my goal, so I don't want to buy new clothes right now either. Feels like it would be a waist of money.

I wear a uniform to work and I recently had to buy a new one of those because I was out of standards and I was told that I needed to because baggy clothes aren't appropriate. It was $120 for one complete uniform. I really hope that I don't have to buy another one for a while.

I have tried to talk to others and it sounds like bragging. I haven't been able to explain it with out sounding a little pompous. What ever I say always seems to be interpreted as "oh poor me, I have lost so much weight I need to buy a new wardrobe." I do understand what you are feeling and I will say this aspect of clothes is hard, especially is funds aren't exactly overflowing. I will be getting rid of my "fat" clothes though. Maybe donate, maybe yardsale, but they will be gone out of my home. I will never be 250lbs again and I don't want the reminders hanging around. Even if I have to buy one article of clothing a month to replace them, they will be gone.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    I have 4 drawers and a closet full of clothes that do not remotely fit me anymore... a lot are maternity and a lot are 3 and 4 sizes too big. I have had a tubal so there will be no more babies for us- not sure why I still have the maternity clothes on hand. The larger clothes? I think it is purely laziness on my part. I need to just do a clean sweep. Honestly- I don't think I'll have but 4 or 5 pieces that I can wear (recently purchased) that will be left! I have been living in my exercise gear. Geez- this thread made me realize I need to get it together! :laugh:

Everyone here had great suggestions. I know I'll NEVER fit in these clothes again... never. They will not be here for "what if" because it isn't happening sista! If you adore the coat- get it altered... if not- drop it like it's hot and never look back! There are so many cute clothes out there! Everyone needs an excuse to shop! lol
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    I am now going through exactly this - I feel your pain. I am an EXPERT shopper and have clothes that were regular priced $500-$1000 (that I got for a bargain) that I HATE to rid myself of. I am down several sizes now and 27 lbs ago took some pants to the tailor in order to have something to wear on a cruise - now those are way to big too. I have a stack of things to take to the tailor again and let him tell me what he can do and can't do. It is FAR cheaper than buying all new plus I don't have to give up ALL of my favorite things.

There are lots of things that I have "loaned" to a friend who is also losing weight. Once she is too small for them they will go to my sister and she is going to be about that size in that about that timeframe. They are not my BEST items - but putting them to use with people I know helps. I have not yet gotten rid or even sorted through everything - I have a MASSIVE closet and more clothes than anyone I know. I just go through as I have time and energy to make the decisions that need to be made. You will take it day by day. Good luck to you.
  • Have it altered!!!

Also, remember that you may lose weight quickly, but it's going to take a bit before you don't fit into the outfits anymore so you still have time to enjoy them! <--That's what I always tell myself!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    I agree, have it altered.

I like my fat clothes right where they are, in a trash bag in my closet waiting to be donated....I plan to add a bit more to the pile
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    I so can't wait to donate my fat clothes! I don't want them anymore and don't want to be reminded either! I am looking forward to buying new thinner clothes, infact, it's my main highlight of losing a lot of weight! Don't feel bad, feel proud when it happens, these are only material items, they can be replaced! when you lose weight you gain the gift of a healthier longer life! What's not to love?!
    Good luck.
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    I'm kind of jumping the gun here, since I've just barely begun my journey to a new healthier me, but I feel like this stupid, silly fear could get in the way.

When I start to think about being many sizes smaller and getting to buy new clothes, the idea of this excites me. However, then I begin to think about all the clothes I have now that I will have to get rid of. For the most part, this isn't an issue.. but there's certain things like a few nice, expensive coats and dresses I have that I fear having to get rid of! Especially since I just barely got one of these coats for Christmas. (It's a Barbour jacket that I got on sale for $150, but they usually run $360... it's something I don't want to have to let go of :( ).

Is there a way to combat this train of thought? Or has anyone else experienced similar thoughts to mine? I know my family would be super proud of me for losing weight, more so than still being able to fit into a jacket, but in the back of my mind I just get this nagging feeling that I'll be "letting my father down" for no longer being able to fit into the fancy, expensive jacket he got me. Argh!

Since you just got the jacket, there's still time to exchange it for a smaller size! I got rid of each size I lost as I went along and donated the clothing to charity...made me feel better knowing someone who needed the clothing was getting it. A lot of the stuff I got rid of were very expensive! Now, I only keep the size I'm wearing in my closet because I'm determined not to gain the weight back! Think positively about the outcome and you'll feel less stressed about getting rid of the clothes.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    I have already bagged up half my closet for charity. Most of my clothes are a few years old, and not on the top of the fashion parade anyway. I am keeping my nice coats and suits to be altered when I get to goal weight. I have broad shoulders so the jackets and coats won't take much to alter, but the pants and skirts may be a problem, but I am not worrying about them now, I still have a long way to go.
  • viggie
    viggie Posts: 155 Member
    Now you can go and buy gently used clothes until you can buy new ones at your new weight.
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    My 3 actions to the exact same dilemma...

Alter- it will look even better when you are smaller
    Sell- use the money for new smaller clothes
    Donate- Battered women shelters, also workrelease programs for women entering/reentering the work force.

I believe getting rid of the "fat" clothes helps me stay on track. I think it would be too easy to slip into old bad habits if I had a "fat" wardrobe on reserve... who needs that kind of baggage!!