SUGAR Macros

So I just put my breakfast into the diary and I've already gone over my suggested sugar intake.

Apparently just having a banana is enough to put it over.

I can't eat weetabix without some fruit in it and I don't want to eat any other high sugar cereals.

Should I worry about the sugar macro or ignore it because it is natural sugar from fruit?

Replies

• CriStyl3z
    CriStyl3z Posts: 5
    I think if you're going to go over for sugars, fruit should be the only reason why. Fruit is good for you despite its high sugar content. Remember your sugars provide your body instant energy to burn. This is a single or double chain molecule. Fructose and Glucose are the only two that meet his criteria. So natural sugar is always better than processed. Glucose is absolutely vital to life and is an integral part of our metabolism. Our bodies produce it and we have a constant reservoir of it in the bloodstream. Your body has a choice of fuels depending on the situation. If it’s an emergency or if the body needs energy fast, it chooses SUGAR as its fuel. In any physical activity the body is trained to always burn sugar for approximately the first 12 minutes. At that 12 minute mark the body then decides whether to keep burning sugar or to switch fuels and to start burning fat. So as long as your maintaining you other goals along with exercise, I wouldn't worry about it too much, if it is still worrying you maybe try to eliminate other sugar sources or switch to fruits that are lower than the types you are eating (like berries). Please keep in mind that the macros goals provided are just guidelines and will fluctuate. It's normal to sometimes be below or above your mark. I wish you much success and hope I was of any help. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    So I just put my breakfast into the diary and I've already gone over my suggested sugar intake.

Apparently just having a banana is enough to put it over.

I can't eat weetabix without some fruit in it and I don't want to eat any other high sugar cereals.

Should I worry about the sugar macro or ignore it because it is natural sugar from fruit?

Unless you are particularly looking to cut back on sugar and if it fits into your calorie target then - no.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Any medical reason to watch your sugar?
    No? Don't worry about it. You can't go far enough over it to be a problem while staying under calories so don't give any thought to it
    Carbs, fat, and protein are the 3 you should put effort in to hitting.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    I've found that MFP's goal for sugar is quite low, especially if you eat lots of fruit. Unless you have some kind of heart / blood sugar condition that could be made worse with sugar, don't worry about it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    should be 15% of your calories www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181259-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-revised-faq-jan-2014

Settings changed a few months back, you might need to recalc.

15% of 1200 calories is 45g of sugar per day.
  • idontlikegarlic
    idontlikegarlic Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for all your help guys. I don't have a problem eating sugar and I didn't think it would be a problem but that little red number annoys me.

I will continue to eat more fruit and veg and ignore sugars from them in the long run as long as cals are under :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Thanks for all your help guys. I don't have a problem eating sugar and I didn't think it would be a problem but that little red number annoys me.

I will continue to eat more fruit and veg and ignore sugars from them in the long run as long as cals are under :)

If you don't want to see the red, switch it up and track something like fibre instead (out of sight, out of mind).:smile:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I hear too much sugar makes you grow extra extremities from random places on your body .........o.0?
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    You could always replace the sugar w/ fiber or something else. There is a setting in MFP where you can change what macros you are watching.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    I just posted this topic yesterday and someone suggested switching my macros to track fiber instead of sugar.

Problem solved and I instantly felt better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Within my first few weeks of logging, I learned how to customize my goals. Intuitively, I knew that a piece of fruit was good for me, so the settings must be wrong. After a few more weeks, I changed my view to show my fiber intake instead of sugar. IMO, if you are going to track any subset of carbs, fiber is a better choice than sugar. Sugar intake is only relevant in terms of overall carbohydrate intake. Whereas, fiber intake affects other things as well.

And ETA: Sugar is not a macro. Carbohydrates are the macro, of which starches, fiber, and sugars are subsets.