Golds gym xr45

I'm starting to look at strength training and varying my routines. Currently I'm doing like 98% cardio. I have some light weights I use but I've never "lifted" or worried about strength.

I'm looking at the gold gym xr 45 to add to my workout room.

http://www.getgoldsgym.com/fitness/en/GetGoldsGym/Strength/golds-gym-xr-45

Is anyone familiar with it? I'm not trying to be a body builder, but I do want to get more "toned". Can I achieve that with this machine?

I don't really have a routine in mind, but that's my next step after making the buy. Anyone have thoughts on what kind of routine would be best?

Guess I'm just looking for strength training newbie stuff.

Replies

• mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Bump for views
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    starting strength or new rules of lifting are great programs to start.

rule #1 about lifting
    you will not bulk unless you are eating a calorie surplus

rule #2
    there is no such thing as toning.

Check out those programs- I can't access the gold's gym one at work- but really want you want to see are compound lifts split 2-3 times a week.

What are compound lifts and how do I know which ones they ares Jo?

What excellent questions!!!

Compound lifts are lifts that use your whole body- rather than isolating specific muscles- they do more to raise your heart rate and get essentially the most 'bang for your buck' they are exceptionally helpful for developing 'muscle tone' and general over all strength and mobility (very important as well)

The following are examples of compound lifts
    > Squats (any type- back- front, zercher, jefferson, overhead)
    > Dead Lift (any type- straight leg, traditional, romanian and single)
    > Bench- (full arch- not flat back- incline/decline qualify but as you change the angle - you change the target and becomes less whole body)
    > Over head Press- strict over head press- not a push press- which includes a 'bounce'

walking lunges, hammy raises, pull ups, push ups, rows are also excellent additions to these lifts.

you can start getting into power lifting- clean's jerks' and snatches- SUPER fun-but stick with the above lifts for now-

Examples of NOT compound lifts (I.e. isolations)

bicep curls
    tricep press downs
    leg extensions/curls
    ab/aductors
    flys (although fly is wicked fun- it's still not compound)
    90% of the shoulder stuff you people do is all isolation stuff too

something to know. If you chose to curl. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. this is lifting rule NUMERO UNO for gym etiqutte- it's rude- and ignorant- and all sorts of things. just don't do it.

Second rule.

PUT YOUR WEIGHTS AWAY. RACK THEM.

if you can lift them- you can re-rack them. seriously- also- super rude to not re-rack them. and for the love of all things holy- put them back not where you found them- but where they GO- i.e 10's in the 10 slot- not the 70's in the 10 slot- so rude- so annoying.

hopefully that was helpful- let me know if you have more questions- good look on starting to lift- lifting iz ze awesome.

seriously- it's awesome.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    My honest opinion on the machine …

If you have a Gold's Gym near you, I think you'd get better results by getting a membership than by buying their machine. You can't do a lot of compound lifts on that machine (see JoRocka's excellent post on compounds :wink:). Lifting free weights also works more of your stabilizing muscles than a machine.

I have a "basic" membership to my Gold's Gym. I can only go to the one I signed up with, I can't do the classes, and I don't get the free tanning or the "cardio theater." But I do have complete access to everything I want - a place to change and locker to store my stuff, plus all the weight equipment there (and the cardio machines, which are my warmups). It's $10 a month. So, if you can get that same price (I think it's available everywhere, we found it online, but you have to be very clear with the membership guy that you only want the $10 plan and don't care about the tanning, etc), it would take you over two years to pay as much as you do for the machine, and that's before taxes or shipping or anything.

Or, if you really want to have the stuff available at home, look on crag's list or at play it again sports, or something like that, for a weight bench, bar, and plates. You can start with just a few things, and add as your lifting repertoire expands. Weights don't lose value because they're used (and chances are, most of them will be barely used :laugh:).

Either way, good luck and happy lifting!
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    bump- :)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Honestly if you're building a home gym I really don't see any problems with that machine.
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    Hi. I have the Golds Gym XR45 too. Are you seeing results with the machine? I would like to start using it on a regular basis and I find myself looking at it and wondering if I'm going to see results with it or should I be working on a floor, trx or ball routine using my own weight to get results?
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    I am planning to get one but dont know how to start, basic routines, etc.