MFP CHOPPED!

officiallymrswhite
officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
Your best recipe (s) using spring produce!

Apricot
Artichoke
Arugula
Asparagus
Avocado
Beet
Carrot
Fennel
Leek
Peas
Radish
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Turnips
Vidalia Onions
Watercress

........GOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Chocolate Balsamic Roasted Beets:

1 Pound red Beets
    3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    ½ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    ¼ Cup Sugar
    ¼ Cup cocoa powder
    ½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
    ¼ Teaspoon Salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Trim and peel the 1 pound of red beets, reserving the beet greens. Then cut the beets into wedges.
    3. Rinse the greens, remove the large stems and set aside to dry.
    3. Place the beets in a small baking dish, cover with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, mixing them so that all slices are coated.
    4. Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake the beets for about 45 minutes, or until a knife can easily pierce the largest piece.
    5. In a small sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup of both sugar and cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Warm it over a medium heat until the mixture combines and thickens.
    6. In a small saute pan, add the chopped beet greens along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook it over a medium-low heat just so that the greens wilt.
    7. The beets should be done by the time you have finished the chocolate-balsamic glaze and cooked the greens. Remove them from the oven, letting cool slightly. Then toss them with the glaze.
    8. Serve the chocolate & balsamic roasted beets over the beet greens.

Stolen from: http://cookingstoned.tv/recipe/chocolate-balsamic-roasted-beets/
  • officiallymrswhite
    Chocolate Balsamic Roasted Beets:

1 Pound red Beets
    3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    ½ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    ¼ Cup Sugar
    ¼ Cup cocoa powder
    ½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
    ¼ Teaspoon Salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Trim and peel the 1 pound of red beets, reserving the beet greens. Then cut the beets into wedges.
    3. Rinse the greens, remove the large stems and set aside to dry.
    3. Place the beets in a small baking dish, cover with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, mixing them so that all slices are coated.
    4. Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake the beets for about 45 minutes, or until a knife can easily pierce the largest piece.
    5. In a small sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup of both sugar and cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Warm it over a medium heat until the mixture combines and thickens.
    6. In a small saute pan, add the chopped beet greens along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook it over a medium-low heat just so that the greens wilt.
    7. The beets should be done by the time you have finished the chocolate-balsamic glaze and cooked the greens. Remove them from the oven, letting cool slightly. Then toss them with the glaze.
    8. Serve the chocolate & balsamic roasted beets over the beet greens.

Stolen from: http://cookingstoned.tv/recipe/chocolate-balsamic-roasted-beets/

Awesome! I have yet to cook with beets! Will have to try!
  • officiallymrswhite
    I also have never cooked with leeks but may try this recipe (Chilled Potato Leek Soup). I had cold leek soup at a farmer's market and it was so good!

http://www.food.com/recipe/chilled-potato-and-leek-soup-vichyssoise-164989
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    You didn't say it had to be healthy sooooo.......Peel and half a vidalia onion, crosswise. Cut the ends off just enough so that they sit level when set on the cut ends. Scoop out about an inch and a half from the middle, about a half inch or so deep. Place a tablespoon of butter and a beef boullion cube in the hole. Wrap in foil and bake or grill until the onion is tender, about 30 minutes. Tastes like french onion soup!
  • officiallymrswhite
    You didn't say it had to be healthy sooooo.......Peel and half a vidalia onion, crosswise. Cut the ends off just enough so that they sit level when set on the cut ends. Scoop out about an inch and a half from the middle, about a half inch or so deep. Place a tablespoon of butter and a beef boullion cube in the hole. Wrap in foil and bake or grill until the onion is tender, about 30 minutes. Tastes like french onion soup!

That sounds amazing!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

Apricot
    Artichoke
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Beet
    Carrot
    Fennel
    Leek
    Peas
    Radish
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Turnips
    Vidalia Onions
    Watercress

........GOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Your post made me chuckle, because at least ten of the sixteen things listed are not spring produce....at least in this hemisphere.....might be different in Australia.
    I find it amazing how speedy transport and shipping as well as green house cultures have us believe that summer and fall produce are actually spring vegetables.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

Why would you not consider this onion to be healthy ? I eat a diet based on natural whole foods and consider both onions as well as butter to be natural and healthy. I would probably leave out the beef cube, because of the salt and add some summer savory or fresh marjoram.
    Great and simple recipe btw.....!
  • officiallymrswhite

Apricot
    Artichoke
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Beet
    Carrot
    Fennel
    Leek
    Peas
    Radish
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Turnips
    Vidalia Onions
    Watercress

........GOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Your post made me chuckle, because at least ten of the sixteen things listed are not spring produce....at least in this hemisphere.....might be different in Australia.
    I find it amazing how speedy transport and shipping as well as green house cultures have us believe that summer and fall produce are actually spring vegetables.

that is funny!
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    It's a french toast smoothie using avocados... It doesn't taste like them at all, I promise! I don't even like avocados.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1277510-french-toast-smoothie
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Watercress w/ bacon vinaigrette:

(For a salad of about 5-6 cups of watercress)

Dice 1-2 strips of bacon, saute till almost crisp, then add 2 T sugar and 2 T vinegar to the pan (it will combine with the fat from the bacon to make a dressing). Add a sliced green onion (cook it as long as you like, I just get it warm, I love onion!). Pour over the watercress, which will wilt a bit, but it is fantastic!

I don't like bacon. But I love this!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
    Throw away.
    Order pizza.
    Bask in your victory.
    :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    MCD's Pasta Primavera EZ

13x9 pan (preferably glass)

Throw in in this order
    1-2 T olive oil
    1 bag baby carrots
    1 box penne (whole wheat tasted good in mine)
    1 bag frozen zucchini
    1 box cherry tomatoes

Pour on top
    1 jar alfredo sauce

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for like around an hour or so.

If you use a glass casserole it will be easy to see inside when the veggies have given off their liquids and cooked the pasta. The pasta will look bigger and whiter and the water will be bubbling. A quick stir after letting it cool a bit will yield veggie pasta with creamy tomato sauce. So Easy! I invented this recipe myself for a birthday party where I wasn't sure I'd ordered enough food when extra guests showed up. It was eaten up first.
  • cpdiminish
    cpdiminish Posts: 84
    Probably not what you were thinking of, but I keep buying strawberries to see if I can make my own gelatin from strawberry juice, but I keep eating the strawberries before I can try it.

I know it will work, just a matter of deciding whether or not it is worth it depending on how much juice my juicer makes from the strawberries, and how much sugar I'd have to add to make it sweet enough. But the recipe to make your own gelatin desserts from juice is right on the package of Knox unflavored gelatin.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    If you do want east low cal French onion soup, make up a big batch of caramelized onions and season them with fresh thyme and a little sherry. Freeze 1/2 cup servings in baggies. For instant French onion soup, put a frozen block in a cup and then cover with canned beef broth and microwave. I used to bring a few baggies to work and keep them in the freezer, and if keep a can of broth in my desk.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Diced onion, diced 6 med yellow squash dust all liberally with chili powder. Heat 1/4 c olive oil til almost smoking. Toss in veg, cover pot and shake like crazy, open pot stir, cover and shake. Kind of like making popcorn. Do until squash cooked thru. Even people who aren't crazy for yellow squash like it
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Probably not what you were thinking of, but I keep buying strawberries to see if I can make my own gelatin from strawberry juice, but I keep eating the strawberries before I can try it.

I know it will work, just a matter of deciding whether or not it is worth it depending on how much juice my juicer makes from the strawberries, and how much sugar I'd have to add to make it sweet enough. But the recipe to make your own gelatin desserts from juice is right on the package of Knox unflavored gelatin.

Ball makes no sugar needed pectin. It is really easy to use. I made blueberry jelly (refrigerator jelly) by boiling some frozen blueberries with a little water, adding a spoon of the pectin, boiling it for a minute, and then pouring it into a jar. It was really good.
  • Debradotbzy
    Debradotbzy Posts: 9 Member
    Tonight I ate this: risotto made with shallots and leeks.(using 1 cup arborio rice and a basic risotto recipe) (don't forget to add 4 tablespoons finely fluffy grated real parmigiano reggiano). Separately cook 1 cup fresh shelled English peas, then 1 pound thin asparagus cleaned, ends snapped and cut into 1/2" inch pieces. Stir peas into risotto top with asparagus. A sprinkling of more cheese. Yes, my only meal with refined carbs of the day. Served with poached chicken. Serves two tonight for dinner and two for lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow night: a carrot fennel soup is simmering on the stove.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Arugula wilted with balsamic- this is stupid easy
    Take about 3/4 pound fresh arugula
    Put in hot pan with a mist of olive oil on the pan
    Stir until wilted and lightly chard in spots
    Toss with a small amount balsamic ( I use 1/2 capful)
    Serve with a poached soft egg on top if desired
    Sometimes I add a touch of sriacha, too
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member

Ball makes no sugar needed pectin. It is really easy to use. I made blueberry jelly (refrigerator jelly) by boiling some frozen blueberries with a little water, adding a spoon of the pectin, boiling it for a minute, and then pouring it into a jar. It was really good.
    Agar agar would work for a vegan version.