What would make the best gym ever?

california_haley
california_haley Posts: 220 Member
In your opinion what would be some things that would make the best gym ever?
There are a lot of things that i see in the different gyms around my area that have their own "flare" type deal thats really cool, but none have it all, whats important to you? price? equipment? space? ect

Some things i find important:
Large clean locker rooms, with steam rooms and saunas.

The ability to rent a permanent locker, one gym here you can get a locker key each time you come in, and their partner you bring your own lock but you cant leave stuff over night. it would be nice to be able to rent your own locker for like $5+ extra a month so you can leave your stuff there.

Key card for 24/7 access. two gyms here have key cards one its included when you sign up no extra fee, another you have to pay for the cards and each person on your account has to pay for their own card, it can get pretty pricey. i like the one that its already included in your membership.

a full service spa/salon one gym has this however its hardly ever actually open, im not sure what the deal is with it but ive seen it open maybe 3 times so i dont see the point.

Tanning beds, one gym has this, they actually offer different memberships that include everything or you can just get a tanning membership.

classes, such as yoga, spinning ect. for no extra cost, or the ability to pay for just classes if you dont want to have a membership.

towel service. one gym here has this, never having to worry about bring a towel is nice. another gym offers towels at $5 a piece and its not like you get to keep it

a good verity of machines. and a good amount of space to have all the machines some gyms here are just way too crowded.

So anyways whats on the top of your list to have? OR what are some of your biggest complaints about your gym (not including people, because lets face it a gym owner cant really fix someone elses bad attitude)

Replies

• MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    I love my gym! But I wouldn't mind the following:

1. Having enough clips for the bars.
    2. Pool
    3. Bigger locker rooms along with more showers

That's all I can think of.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    I'd be happy if mine would just move the hard-sell membership/personal training vultures away from the reception area. I feel like they are waiting to pounce on me every time I walk in.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    My gym kinda sucks for one reason: No squat rack or cages, it is a 24 hour gym so the liability is too great. Aside from that I love it there is no one there when I go so I never have to wait for a bench, close to home and cheap as chips. I'll buy a squat rack for the garage at least that is the aim. I have a cross fit type gym that I go to as well and I love it, even closer to home and the french lady that runs it pounds me into the dirt.

The best gym ever would be cheap, empty of other patrons (at least of the ego lifting variety), and lots and lots of weights of all kinds.
  • california_haley
    I love my gym! But I wouldn't mind the following:

1. Having enough clips for the bars.
    2. Pool
    3. Bigger locker rooms along with more showers

That's all I can think of.

for the pool would you want one thats open year round and heated?
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    I have two memberships and here are things they have that i like:
    Key card for 24/7 access
    Classes, such as yoga, spinning ect.
    Towel service
    Sauna
    indoor heated pool
    Hot tub
    An indoor track
    Racquetball court
    Basketball court

Things i wish it had:
    a full service spa, that would be nice but I COULD live without it.
    More power racks, seems to be the main problem at every gym i have been to.
    a rock wall would be pretty cool too.

think im going to just save up and get my own power rack & punching bag. save me a lot in the long run
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Customized home gym.
    I'm having one someday. SCREW BOWFLEX.
  • california_haley
    My gym kinda sucks for one reason: No squat rack or cages, it is a 24 hour gym so the liability is too great. Aside from that I love it there is no one there when I go so I never have to wait for a bench, close to home and cheap as chips. I'll buy a squat rack for the garage at least that is the aim. I have a cross fit type gym that I go to as well and I love it, even closer to home and the french lady that runs it pounds me into the dirt.

The best gym ever would be cheap, empty of other patrons (at least of the ego lifting variety), and lots and lots of weights of all kinds.

man i would die with no squat rack, but i understand with the liability still sucks.
    i hate how expensive all the gyms here are its $80+ for one person and thats the cheapest, and they are all such a pain in the *kitten* drive away.
  • shmerek
    For a comparison of price most gym where I live are at least 30 dollars a week, my gym was 368 for 13 months, no brainer. I grin and bear it on the smith machine (yuck I know). I get to do proper deadlift and squats with a bar at my crossfit gym and come tax return time I will have my very own cage!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    An indoor track, gymnastic rings everywhere, and stripper poles.

And strippers.

strippers? every day would be arm day...
  • gspwillow
    gspwillow Posts: 8
    Walls and ropes to climb up/over!!! OCR style!!!!
  • shmerek

And strippers.

strippers? every day would be arm day...

hahahah
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member

yes ^ to this! i didn'teven think of that.
  • california_haley
    For a comparison of price most gym where I live are at least 30 dollars a week, my gym was 368 for 13 months, no brainer. I grin and bear it on the smith machine (yuck I know). I get to do proper deadlift and squats with a bar at my crossfit gym and come tax return time I will have my very own cage!

man $30 a week i couldnt do that! lol but thats mostly because everything is so far so the additional cost of fuel would just kill me. my dads gym is the biggest in the area and he has been a member since it opened so he has what they call a grandfather membership and pays only $75 for 5 people per month and has full access to both gyms, classes, courts, pools, classes, spa ect. if someone new were to get the package he has that isnt grandfathered in it costs over $200 per month and they take out classes and courts. and its not even a very good gym anymore they make so much money on memberships and yet if something breaks it takes 2+ months to get it fixed.
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member

stripper poles ok no strippers lol also a fire pole
  • california_haley
    i would love this.
    one gym here has a rock climbing wall which is pretty cool
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    i'm still holding out for showers at mine. :grumble:
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    I love kickboxing and i would want a intense boot camp class were you do it for 12 weeks.maybe even stay there. i want people screaming in our faces that how i love to work out i need intense classes....or make it a coed camp and we stay there. we can go rock climbing etc.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    More squat racks. 2 or 3 is almost never enough... after all, people need more curl racks.
  • california_haley
    More squat racks. 2 or 3 is almost never enough... after all, people need more curl racks.

i agree.
    my gym only has 1! and its always being used. you gotta be super man fast to swoop it up
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    Getting a massage after a workout would be nice