What is your biggest obstacle? What's getting in your way?

texstorm
texstorm Posts: 158 Member
I've talked to a bunch of people recently and I keep hearing apologies/complaints about not being able to get workouts in or falling off the wagon with their nutrition.

It got me thinking because in every case these weren't trivial matters. This wasn't laziness or a lack of will to get it done. This was work, family, kids, school, friends - life intervening and throwing curve balls that were just too hard to hit.

For me when I get derailed it's almost always about work. I have an erratic schedule. Some weeks I will have so little to do that it's almost as if my continued employment isn't justified. Then *KABLAM* suddenly I am so busy I cannot see straight with projects, crises of all sorts and demands on my time that make it nearly impossible for me to schedule anything. I'll put my workout on my calendar, carefully planning it for a time of day when I think I'm safe from distractions and that will get flipped over on me.

If I had a magic wand I would wave that wand at my calendar to make it so nothing could disrupt my plans.

What would you wave that wand at if you could, and why?

-Tex

KPP

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    I've talked to a bunch of people recently and I keep hearing apologies/complaints about not being able to get workouts in or falling off the wagon with their nutrition.

It got me thinking because in every case these weren't trivial matters. This wasn't laziness or a lack of will to get it done. This was work, family, kids, school, friends - life intervening and throwing curve balls that were just too hard to hit.

For me when I get derailed it's almost always about work. I have an erratic schedule. Some weeks I will have so little to do that it's almost as if my continued employment isn't justified. Then *KABLAM* suddenly I am so busy I cannot see straight with projects, crises of all sorts and demands on my time that make it nearly impossible for me to schedule anything. I'll put my workout on my calendar, carefully planning it for a time of day when I think I'm safe from distractions and that will get flipped over on me.

If I had a magic wand I would wave that wand at my calendar to make it so nothing could disrupt my plans.

What would you wave that wand at if you could, and why?

-Tex

KPP

Well, two very good questions. First, there isn't an obstacle for me. If I need to run, I get up early(like 515) and do my 4-6 miles. If I lift I'll set aside time at the gym; if I want to workout at night, I do push ups or planks during the commercials or Yoga. What is getting in my way? Nothing. You make the time it doesn't make you. And I do not want a magic wand, I want to remember every moment I doubted I couldn't take that next step and remember why I'm taking it. I want to remember the feeling of maxing out the last rep and sit there drenched in my sweat, and last I want to do it so I can look back and say, "What's next?"
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    3 very young kids. Life is manic, fitting in meal prep and excercise is hard.
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    3 very young kids. Life is manic, fitting in meal prep and excercise is hard.

So, if you had a magic wand - what would you wave it at? What would you change, if you could?

-Tex

KPP
  • A baby that's attached to my breasts 24/7 is my problem. Sometimes I'm able to lay her down without her waking while I get a workout in. If I had a magic wand I'd turn her into a kid that can play on her own without wanting mommy to hold her. I'm not complaining though, she'll only be this size for just a short while. Truth be told, I love holding and kissing on her all day. I just need to find a way to get regular workouts in as well. My husband is very tired when he gets home so I don't want to ask him to get her. Although that's what I'm probably going to have to start doing.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I would say social and family occasions. If I'm home on my own I control my diet, but if I am in a social environment or eating out, then it becomes difficult. It's not that I pig out, but there are usually foods available that I normally wouldn't have, and so much of social life seems to be around meals. I just did alumni days at one of my alma maters, and there was a food about every 3 hours, hot doeuvers, desserts, etc. Then, it was Mother's Day week-end. Also, because I have family out of town, if there's a holiday, I usually miss at least one workout when there's a holiday. So, I just don't expect to see a loss or may even be up a lb. when I have a week or week-end like that and I try to be good about tracking the next week.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    cheat meals that unfortunately sometimes turn into cheat days.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    This is why I have weights at home... it's hard to make excuses when your rack is a hundred feet away from your recliner chair. Have to do the laundry? Yeah... walk out the door between sets to move your stuff to the dryer. Making dinner? Put it in the oven, set the timer, and get the squats in while it cooks.

Ironically, what's getting in my way worst right now is my trainer's inflexible appointment schedule. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and there is plenty of value in those sessions, but I've found it very hard to schedule my normal weight training, KM classes, and rest days around her. But I prepaid, so I'm making the most of it.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Travelling every month derails me. If I had a magic wand, I would stay put in my home until I reach my goal.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Having insulin resistance and hypoglycemia.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Myself.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    I think the most important thing is to not beat yourself up about these things. If you CAN'T fit it in, you can't fit it in. IF you're really being honest with yourself and there's just no way to make it work, try again tomorrow. Don't let it get you down, but don't lie to yourself either. Do what you can and keep pushing through! :)
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    I'm not afraid to admit laziness. These TV shows ain't gonna watch themselves.

I've just not got into the exercise part of my fitness yet. I work by small steps.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    my biggest obstacle is that I do not really like exercise that much. I love walking and hiking, and bike riding is fun...but I lack the interest, discipline, and motivation to lift, run, or kill it in the gym and I'm way too reserved for Zumba or yoga etc...

Diet/nutrition is the easy part for me. I have to push myself to stay active in ways beyond what is "normal" for me...just being hyperactive, running errands & cleaning all of the time.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    The door to my house ..... once I'm outside, I'm committed to run ... before that .. not so much.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Nothing! I also have a busy schedule which includes getting up for work and 3:45am. I don't let anything get in the way of my lifestyle change. It's just as important as my family, because I am doing what I do for them. I just happen to benefit from it lol.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I work part-time but recently a manager quit so I'm working full-time until we can hire and train another. It's been very, very tough on my family. I've only ever worked part-time and my husband works evenings so its all me pretty much all the time when it comes to kids and their activities. Plus I have a side job. The past week I've only been home to sleep. I leave the house at 7:30am and don't get home until almost 10pm with work and kids activities. Luckily I work a job that has me on my feet and walking a lot. That's been my only salvation. Also luckily this won't last long and I'll be back to my normal hours soon (On a good note I think this has opened my husband's eyes about him wanting me to work full-time. He's hating that he never sees me)
  • jellie2u
    jellie2u Posts: 4 Member
    6 years ago I was very active, walked every evening, had a personal trainer it was great. Then 6 yrs ago I feel snow skiing and tore my acl. I had surgery and spent 6 months rehabbing. One year to the date of that surgery I re-tore my ACL again and had to have surgery one year to the date of the last surgery. After another 6 months of rehabbing I thought wow I'm in the clear. One year and 3 months of the 2nd surgery I found out I and fractured my back from that skiing accident. I had not clue until I had gotten back in the gym and then started feeling pain in my back. I had to have spinal surgery!!! Every time I started to get back into working out... wham!! It took a year to recover from spinal surgery and on my 1st day free and clear to work out again. I fell walking and re tore my ACL. I laid in someone's yard sobbing... I knew what I had done. My doctor said it would be cruel to do another surgery so soon and said to wait & I agreed. Walking in the gym with a brace I was extra careful... Then I fell 2 weeks after school started on the playground and tore my rotators cuff I'm one month out from surgery and its not going well. MY obstacle STOP FALLING AND NO MORE SURGERIES !!!!! I am so depressed.
  • Geoj0
    Geoj0 Posts: 145 Member
    My biggest obstacle is my body is acting like its an oap, things keep malfunctioning grr
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    biggest problem i face is work. Often i have to work late and miss the gym. I also work with unsupportive people.Just today one of them brought me a chocolate shake from Hardees. Yea it was a nice gesture but would kill any diet. I don't mind splurging but when sticking to 1200 cal/day just cant put 700 into a drink.
  • Aydreeinn
    Aydreeinn Posts: 3 Member
    I'm doing INSANITY & my biggest obstacle is trying to eat enough. I've calculated that I should be eating 2,037 calories a day to lose weight. I know it doesn't really sound like a lot but it is for me. I'm hardly ever hungry but I know I need the calories and such for my body to function properly.