Arches

jniece55
jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
I get pain in my arches when I do anything from like balancing on a bosu ball/doing squats on a bosu ball to jumping jacks. I also get it when I run. I have been fitted for proper running shoes so I know it isn't that. I've been to a podiatrist and they don't see any issues. I've talked to a few people that also get this. I was wondering if it's normal and I just need to strengthen my arches?

Any advice or help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• jniece55
    Bump*
  • My arches used to hurt me when I would run, I was told to invest in a tennis ball and roll it under my foot before the runs for a few minutes. I'm no expert but I know that my issue was a tendon or ligament in the bottom of my foot that I wasn't stretching properly. I don't use the tennis ball anymore though, I actually prefer a metal water bottle that I keep in the freezer. Hope this helps :-)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Is there pain when you step on your heel? Does it hurt first thing in the morning? it could be Plantar Fasciitis. I realize you went to a podiatrist but you might want to find one who specializes in sport injuries.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    My arches used to hurt me when I would run, I was told to invest in a tennis ball and roll it under my foot before the runs for a few minutes. I'm no expert but I know that my issue was a tendon or ligament in the bottom of my foot that I wasn't stretching properly. I don't use the tennis ball anymore though, I actually prefer a metal water bottle that I keep in the freezer. Hope this helps :-)

Can't wait to try that. Thanks!
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    sounds like plantar fasciatus. it the tendon doesn't stretch enough, the heel will develop A bone spur to prevent the tendon from tearing off of the heel. You may need a second opinion. It's not the end of the world though but do find out.
    Best of luck!
  • jniece55
    The doctor said I didn't have that and it only hurts when i'm working out. Not first thing in the morning.
  • jniece55
    Anyone get this that doesn't have plantar fasciatus?
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Maybe try kt tape for some extra support while working out? I can feel a difference when I tape and when I don't.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Do the tennis ball massage
    Be sure to stretch your calves (especially!), hamstrings, hips, and glutes well - every day, whether working out or not
    Post workout, run your feet over a frozen water bottle
    I use green Superfeet insoles in my athletic shoes, black insoles in dress shoes - I need arch support all the time, and I avoid going barefoot.

I did not have morning heel pain but terrible arch pain while working out. I went to a sports medicine doctor and I have plantar fascitiis. Despite doing physical therapy, it's progressed to morning heel pain as well. It sucks.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Try building more flexibility in your arches by walking around barefoot or in "minimalist shoes" (thin, flexible sole). Also do this stretch often, ideally hourly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Anyone get this that doesn't have plantar fasciatus?

I have a very similar problem. I have not gone to the doc but I have a WebMD degree and I'm certain I don't have plantar fasciatus. I have yet to find a solution.