Kettlebell Users!

frando
frando Posts: 584 Member
I'm looking to do some kettlebell work at home but I'm unsure what to go for.

People have suggested the York vinyl ones to me, but looking over reviews on both Amazon and Argos they don't seem to be that popular! The reviews seem to point to the shaping being award in the negative ones but in the positive ones people are saying how wonderful and compact they are.

So, my question to those who actually own and use kettlebells, what brand(s) do you use? How do you feel about them? I trust fellow MFPers over random Amazon people.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Bought mine through Walmart.com. it's make of steel or cast iron, I believe.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    The vinyl ones aren't too bad in the lower weight ranges, once you start going up towards and beyond 20 kg's they become too big and unwieldy. Restricting range of motion for some exercises.
    I believe one of the main criticisms of the vinyl ones is the seam across the handle that can cut into your hands, using gloves will obviously alleviate this problem.
    As I've only just started using them the largest I currently have is a 16kg bell, vinyl and have experienced no problems using what so ever, but can definitely see go any bigger might do.
    The ones I got are also the cheapest possible from Amazon.co.uk with a set of one of each from 2kg, 4kg, 6kg and an 8kg all for under 20 quid. they work fine and at that price I'm more than happy.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    What's your budget and what weight are you going for?

ETA; I don't recommend from Amazon, Argos, Asda (or Tesco it's not just the starting with 'A') and definitely don't recommend vinyl covered.
  • frando
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking for a 4kg to kind of get my technique right before moving on to either an 8kg or a 12kg, I'm looking at spending at roughly £35 for the pair.

I hadn't thought about the seam mmmh : /
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    I got my at Target. Luv them!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    my basic ones I bought from perform better.com wait will have a free shipping offer !

I will be getting competition ones soon - these are all standard size regardless of weight - but most people do not need those !!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking for a 4kg to kind of get my technique right before moving on to either an 8kg or a 12kg, I'm looking at spending at roughly £35 for the pair.

I hadn't thought about the seam mmmh : /

Depending on what you plan on doing with then I would suggest the 4KG is a waste of money - you would be MUCH better off using the $70 to get some good kettle bell training and they you will know if you want a 8 or 12 kg - i never used a 4kg - not once - I used an 8kg for a few weeks to get the right form for a turkish get up and to build up my jerk - everything else I used the 12kg from the out set.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    personally I would always buy competition bells they are the same size whatever weight but not cheap

If you are in the UK (which I assume you are shopping at Argos) try these: http://www.wolverson-fitness.co.uk/

And also I would not invest in a 4kg - waste of time, swings and suchlike which are the basis are better done with a heavier weight - start with an 8kg, if you are serious about training with KB's you will outgrow the weight quickly

I train with a 16kg for classes but quite capable to lift (push-press) a 20kg now and been training with bells for just over 2 years, is a challenging workout if you challenge yourself....

and also you don't need to buy them in pairs unless you are planning on doing double swings(with 2 kb's) or double press/squat press but these are advanced moves
  • IronSmasher
    There's no such thing as a good 4kg one, apart from the difficult to find and very expensive competition standard ones (usually used for demos).

You're going to be quickly disappointed with an 8kg. I think that with patience or under instruction you'd be find with a 12kg, but I really wouldn't recommend you getting smaller than an 8kg.The 8kg would still be useful for learning techniques (or if you perhaps have a weak press???) but you've not much of a budget for multiple 'bells. Unless you're going to just use it like a dumbbell, in which case you could get a cheap dumbbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVix24GKG0

I'd also recommend you check out the group called Enter the Kettlebell.

To me personally, kettlebells is about patiently learning to tame a difficult task, rather than haphazardly winging about an easy weight from day one.
  • frando
    Thanks for all the replies! As I'm in the UK not all of them are viable but thanks for the thought, guys!
    There's no such thing as a good 4kg one, apart from the difficult to find and very expensive competition standard ones (usually used for demos).

You're going to be quickly disappointed with an 8kg. I think that with patience or under instruction you'd be find with a 12kg, but I really wouldn't recommend you getting smaller than an 8kg.The 8kg would still be useful for learning techniques (or if you perhaps have a weak press???) but you've not much of a budget for multiple 'bells. Unless you're going to just use it like a dumbbell, in which case you could get a cheap dumbbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVix24GKG0

I'd also recommend you check out the group called Enter the Kettlebell.

To me personally, kettlebells is about patiently learning to tame a difficult task, rather than haphazardly winging about an easy weight from day one.

Considering this I may get the 8kg, get technique down and then move along from there to the larger ones. I was worried that if I went to a larger one too quickly without getting the movements right I may be doing more harm then good! I've got and use dumbells as it is, but some kettlebell movements and positions don't work well with them P:

I really don't tend to use the forums on here but I'll pop into it thank you!
    personally I would always buy competition bells they are the same size whatever weight but not cheap

If you are in the UK (which I assume you are shopping at Argos) try these: http://www.wolverson-fitness.co.uk/

And also I would not invest in a 4kg - waste of time, swings and suchlike which are the basis are better done with a heavier weight - start with an 8kg, if you are serious about training with KB's you will outgrow the weight quickly

I train with a 16kg for classes but quite capable to lift (push-press) a 20kg now and been training with bells for just over 2 years, is a challenging workout if you challenge yourself....

and also you don't need to buy them in pairs unless you are planning on doing double swings(with 2 kb's) or double press/squat press but these are advanced moves

I'll have a look in there to buy them ^^ and no I wasn't thinking of doing anything with two it was more of once I was comfortable with the movement to move on to something heavier.
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    I would stay away from the vinyl covered ones. I tried them once and HATED them, they tried to murder my hands. Whatever make you go for the cast iron ones are a safer bet. I've bought cheap (cast iron) kettlebells from eBay and Amazon and haven't had issues with them, but if you can afford the better quality ones they will be worth the money.

I would also rethink the 4kg bell... When I started I was very weak so I got a 6kg for one-handed work and 12kg one for two-handed stuff. I grew out of the 6kg in about a month and the 12kg one needs replacing too.
  • IronSmasher
    Wolverson are amazing but I might try these https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettlebells/cast-iron-kettlebells.html
    They're cheap but look OK.

Ideally if you could get a few goes on someone elses before you're sure and commit to a comp standard one (although I have 7 and they're all cheap iron ones).

I don't think I've used the site before, but they've got lots of stuff I want.
  • vastiris
    vastiris Posts: 56 Member
    Just my two cents - it took me almost two months to get proper kettlebell form (knee and back injury), and although I'm a strong believer in not increasing weight too fast (bc of my previous back issues), I'll tell you that when I finally went up in weight, the form got better. My trainer told me that if they're too light, your form can be all over the place, but if you find that perfect, heavier one, you're almost forced into having good form.
  • marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    I agree that the 4kg is a waste of money. I go to a kettlebell class at my local gym so use theirs. It's a good way to find out about technique and what weight is good for you. I have a pair of 7.5 kg ones that I use occasionally at home. Heavy duty plastic - bought chez Aldi - but I wouldn't recommend them for heavy usage.
  • IronSmasher
    Just my two cents - it took me almost two months to get proper kettlebell form (knee and back injury), and although I'm a strong believer in not increasing weight too fast (bc of my previous back issues), I'll tell you that when I finally went up in weight, the form got better. My trainer told me that if they're too light, your form can be all over the place, but if you find that perfect, heavier one, you're almost forced into having good form.

It's true with 'bells and olympic lifts, you just can't teach heavy.
    However, it takes time to teach confidence.
  • you tube has some great ones, free on fitness blender..from beginners to advance
  • MissB46
    I agree that the 4kg is a waste of money. I go to a kettlebell class at my local gym so use theirs. It's a good way to find out about technique and what weight is good for you. I have a pair of 7.5 kg ones that I use occasionally at home. Heavy duty plastic - bought chez Aldi - but I wouldn't recommend them for heavy usage.

Hallelujah, I see that many women in the classes I do that never move up from a 4 or an 8kg, I very briefly trained with an 8kg when I first started but then just moved on, I am still the only woman that uses a 16kg consistently, I would love to try the 20kg for the class but I think I would probably die lol

There is also powerhouse fitness http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk

oh and if you are looking for good workouts try Myomytv.com....Marianne Kane-Fass is amazing
  • ginatoppi
    ginatoppi Posts: 2
    I think you only need 1 kettlebell, the exercises don't need two. So I would get an 8kg to begin with and then maybe a 12 when you are ready.
  • frando
    When I next go into the gym I'll see if they have any knocking about, it's rather large and sometimes you can't find something unless you go looking for it! I'm positive they'll have some, see how my form is with 8kg and 12kg, it's not like it's my first foray into weights just doing it at home with limited instruction.

Thanks again for all the comments, suggestions and anecdotes <3
  • MissB46
    I'm quite lucky as in our gym a couple instructors also run the local kettlebell club and the classes they do are really good, I do usually two a week