What's your go-to low cal snack?

Replies

• runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    okay, this will sound really strange, but it works for me. In the baby food aisle, I found flavored puffs... the finger food that is generally one of baby's first intros to solids... looks like cereal puffs. There are 25 calories per 1/2 c serving.... and about 5 servings per container... that means if I really wanted to, I could eat the whole container for only 125 calories. The puffs come in both fruit and vegie flavors... haven't ventured into the vegie flavor yet, but really like the banana flavored. Plus this "snack" has vitamin packed....

on a side note... also saw toddler servings of mac/cheese in small portions for like around 125 cal or so a serving... am tempted to try it to quench my random pasta craving...

GERBER GRADUATES or PLUM ORGANICS cereal puffs.
    AMAZING.

they also make apple-sauce pakcets that are about 60 cal, each and since they're squeezable, they dont require spoons!
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    Wish this site had a "like" button. hahaha!
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    You're all trying to be so healthy but then there's me and my go-to snack is Orville Reddenbacher pop up bowl (half of it). It's only 170 or something like that (if you're simply looking at calorie number, which I am)
  • Rhi_rhi1
    Rhi_rhi1 Posts: 4 Member
    okay, this will sound really strange, but it works for me. In the baby food aisle, I found flavored puffs... the finger food that is generally one of baby's first intros to solids... looks like cereal puffs. There are 25 calories per 1/2 c serving.... and about 5 servings per container... that means if I really wanted to, I could eat the whole container for only 125 calories. The puffs come in both fruit and vegie flavors... haven't ventured into the vegie flavor yet, but really like the banana flavored. Plus this "snack" has vitamin packed....

I also eat these, I developed a taste for them when my Little boy used to eat them (years ago) and now I use them as my go to snack when out and about :)
  • Ldrogers85
    Ldrogers85 Posts: 13 Member
    Moon pops (sort of like a rice cake, only thinner and looks more like a puffy DVD) with 1 or 2 tbsp of greek yogurt herb spread (tastes just like cream cheese). The moon pops are about 16 calories each, and I believe it's 60 calories for 2tbsp of the spread.

Dill pickles. 5 calories for a spear, but a lot of sodium. Helps with my salt cravings though, and I drink an extra water with it.

Air-popped popcorn. For when I just want to mindlessly reach in a bowl and nom. My grocery even has some really nice gourmet flavored ones that don't do too much damage, and are very good roadtrip snacks.

1 egg "omelets". Cooking spray a pan lightly, mix an egg. Add some baby spinach or red onion on top for extra flavor and crunch.

Low-sodium V8s. 11.5 can is 70 calories

mini-salad - baby spinach, red onion, fat-free feta crumbles, and a dash or two of fat-free balsamic.

"lemonade" vitaminewaterZERO and bowl of mixed berries
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member

on a side note... also saw toddler servings of mac/cheese in small portions for like around 125 cal or so a serving... am tempted to try it to quench my random pasta craving...

lol...i do the same thing. i like the cheddar puffs (these are in a little tin), but i know what you are referring too...there is banana, vanilla, strawberry, etc. The puffs i am referring to look more like small cheese puffs and come in cheddar and maple syrup (that i know of). also, the yogurt and fuit/veggie melts. (note, these items are in the MFP food database...so apparently others are doing the same (or logging in their kid's food).

my personal favorite low calorie snack is popcorn. i like the 100-calorie packs.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Really??????? That is awesome! Never thought about this.....Do you remember the name of them?

Gerbers, I believe, if i am thinking the same thing poster is. but there are also generic and organic equivalents. just check out your local baby aisle.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I don't know if mine count as low-cal because I do try to eat enough to get me through 2 hours or so, try to get some fiber, fat, and protein if possible.

Small apple with the seeds scooped out and replaced with peanut butter (usually about a 50-70 cal apple and 1T of PB is 95 cal)
    Serving of crackers with one Laughing Cow cheese wedge (crackers usually around 120-160 and cheese is 35)
    Popcorn gives you lots of bulk with few calories, if you shop carefully or air-pop your own
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Popcorn w/coconut oil!!

Also, pretzels, fruit snacks, or my new favorite, Weight Watchers ice cream bars. They're a nice size & yum!
  • kmestripez
    kmestripez Posts: 7 Member
    Great post, I needed this. :wink:
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    For me, if I need a snack because I'm really hungry I eat a protein/good carb combo.

Banana with 1 1/2 tspn (or 1tblspn if within my cal budget) natural peanut butter,maybe stick some raisins on it or some ground flaxseed.

Cheese stick (my go-to snack) and 1 serving pretzels or baked cracker or fruit.

Greek yogurt.

Cottage cheese with some pineapple (in its own juice) is a good one.
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    I like cucumber by it self.

Or with a cheese stick and a piece of Deli meat. You can use the Cuc as a cracker or sliced long as pretend bread.
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    I like cucumber by it self.

Or with a cheese stick and a piece of Deli meat. You can use the Cuc as a cracker or sliced long as pretend bread.

YUM!
  • cottonta1l
    cottonta1l Posts: 33 Member
    Greek yogurt (sometimes mix protein powder in if I'm really hungry, it's very filling)
    An apple
    Cheese stick
    Cottage cheese - dip carrot in it, spread it in celery, etc
    Sometimes I'll just have a bowl of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, etc
    Ryvitas with cottage cheese or salsa or hummus
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    If I'm hungry, I usually get myself a big old bowl of salad. Romaine lettuce, broccoli raw, red bell pepper, onion, cucumber... and either a lite italian dressing that I found (1/2 the serving size of 2 tbsp) or apple cider vinegar (which has 0% of pretty much everything and no cals so it's great)

I am usually super filled by the end. Today's salad for lunch only cost me 95 calories ( 45 if I hadn't put 3/4 of a low fat hotdog in)
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Besides the usual greek yogurt, fruit, vegetables with dip, etc., this is my absolute favorite end-of-the-day snack:

3 slices Oscar Meyer Hard Salami (100 calories), and
    1 square extremely dark chocolate (around 60 calories depending on brand)

Sounds weird but they go together very well. Often with a pot of oolong tea.

But when all else fails, 2 ounces of Bourbon is around 120 calories. ;-)
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Skinny Pop popcorn and Greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs and bananas
  • cherow123
    cherow123 Posts: 13
    My Fav is turkey deli meat spread with cream cheese and salsa- then roll it up. Super YUM and low carb

second favorite is an apple with some almond butter
  • bashful817
    bashful817 Posts: 8 Member
    When I'm craving something, before I eat, I have some peppermint tea. It works! BTW - totally get needing to be wallet-friendly. It's expensive to eat well!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    I am missing the crunch of a snack. Something I can sink my teeth into. I just had 4 whole wheat saltines and a cheese slice cut into four. 80 calorie cheese and crackers...not too bad...