Can you lose 20-23 pounds in 3 months?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

I started on here at 155 and I am 5'7.5- I lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and the last 5-8 lbs took me almost 6 months after that.

I did it with regular exercise and watching my calories. I didn't starve myself, I very much adopted the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and ate what I liked in moderation.

Also- she didn't state that she wanted to do it "fast" she just asked if it was possible to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. Yes, it is. Will everyone be able to? No, but if she is staying within a healthy means and limits than there is nothing wrong with a 2lb per week loss.

Thank you! Completely agree.
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    It is possible because I did.

I started Feb 1st of this year and to date I have lost 33 pounds (started around 218 pounds). I didn't do anything crazy. I only changed what I ate, as far as drastically cutting out junk food and fast food. I only drink water, no juices and soda and I exercise 5-6 times per week. I started with a 1500 calorie regimen, went to 1200, now i'm at 1300 calories.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    My best advice at 160? Do you need to focus on "20-23 pounds?" seems like a really definite number of pounds to lose. And even if ou reach it, if you do it only with calorie deficit, you won't like it, I bet.

If I were you, I'll set up my goal at 1 pound a week, eat back my exercise calories and I'd pick up an intense exercise program. This way, even if you don't meet your weight goal, you will definitely feel strong, healthy and will lose lots of inches in 3 months.

I love Jillian so I'll suggest Jillian Michael's 90 day body revolution, but any intense program should do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It is possible because I did.

I started Feb 1st of this year and to date I have lost 33 pounds (started around 218 pounds). I didn't do anything crazy. I only changed what I ate, as far as drastically cutting out junk food and fast food. I only drink water, no juices and soda and I exercise 5-6 times per week. I started with a 1500 calorie regimen, went to 1200, now i'm at 1300 calories.
    You have much more to lose. It's much slower when you only have a little bit to lose.
    Congrats on your loss by the way!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

I started on here at 155 and I am 5'7.5- I lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and the last 5-8 lbs took me almost 6 months after that.

I did it with regular exercise and watching my calories. I didn't starve myself, I very much adopted the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and ate what I liked in moderation.

Also- she didn't state that she wanted to do it "fast" she just asked if it was possible to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. Yes, it is. Will everyone be able to? No, but if she is staying within a healthy means and limits than there is nothing wrong with a 2lb per week loss.
    This is what I suspect will happen. She will lose a chunk (depending on her LBM now) then find the last 5-10 very slow, since she's at a healthy weight now.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

2 lbs per week is healthy if you have 75 lbs or more to lose. It's not healthy the less you have to lose, because you would have to have to continue a 1000 calorie deficit per day even as your TDEE is dropping with your weight loss. It runs the risk of putting you into calorie intakes below 1200, which is why you often see the following recommended on MFP:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week
  • BossBich
    BossBich Posts: 65 Member
    Absolutely !!!!!
  • First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

Out of curiosity how many calories did you eat a day? and how often did you work out??
  • Given your height and your already healthy weight? I'd say no, not in a healthy way, anyway.

Just gonna pipe in with my two cents.
    Saying she is already a "healthy weight" and that she won't be able to do it healthfully isn't helpful.

I was a healthy weight when I started. But I am losing the weight the right way, and reaching a goal that is still good for my height. Wanting to lose weight within a healthy range for your height isn't wrong. Nor is telling someone they won't be able to do it healthfully, when clearly people within this thread have done it.
    '

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    If you cut off a leg, sure. Otherwise you're just going to have to do it the normal way, ie slow and steady.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Lemme think a minute. I started before MFP at about 157.... I went down to 145 ,fighting weight, literally. It took about 2 months without any kind of starving and my normal heavy-duty workouts. So I averaged 6lbs a month. Not too bad

That said, I am told I look very thin at 145. You plan to be our height and 135-140? My oh my that IS skinny!
    IMHO, you're going to be too skinny and possibly stringy looking. The dreaded "skinny fat" could be a problem.

How about you get down to 145-150 and re-evaluate? We are TALL. Almost as tall as men. It is sometimes a mind game for us to feel "heavy" compared to other women who are much shorter.

135-140 sounds good for a woman on paper but for a tall woman not so much in real life. Something to think about. Still, it's better than the 5'9" woman who is planning 125 or less. Bah! She's gunna look like crap.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    If you were like 250lbs, then yes. But at the height and weight your at now, probably not without some extreme dieting. And that usually doesn't go well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    OP, is there a certain reason you are trying to lose 20-23 pounds in 3 months?

I like an earlier poster's suggestion to focus on strength training and toning more than a number on the scale.

Anyhow, just curious to know why you have this specific amount of weight loss in mind?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Sad thread is gonna be sad.

At least we can say we tried.
  • This is very helpful :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Amputate a limb or your head; that's the only way to lose that much that fast. Well, that and starvation, but then you're dead.

Do it slowly and gradually, that's the best way to make a sustainable life change.
  • OP, is there a certain reason you are trying to lose 20-23 pounds in 3 months?

I like an earlier poster's suggestion to focus on strength training and toning more than a number on the scale.

Anyhow, just curious to know why you have this specific amount of weight loss in mind?

I have an event I would like to be in better shape for in late August
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    It makes me sad that the OP is only quoting and responding to posts that agree with her despite the good advice given by others. Two pounds a week is too much for the amount of weight you have to lose OP. Like another poster said, you may make it work for a couple of weeks or a month but you WILL plateau and your rate of weight loss WILL slow down. Focus on a pound a week and next time, plan ahead a little better and start six months before your event.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Amputate a limb or your head; that's the only way to lose that much that fast. Well, that and starvation, but then you're dead.

Oh, you are soooo insightful. And helpful. Congratulations on adding such wit and wisdom to the conversation.