New to gym, what exercise to start with?

2»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Book to Face Raises and Cross Sentence Finger Follows

My suggestion is New Rules of Lifting for Women. :flowerforyou:
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

I've seriously spent all morning, looking at strength training workouts for beginners. You are all right, I am realizing the weight training is the best way to go. But like some of you have mentioned, it is EXTREMELY intimidating! I only have time to go in the evenings and it's pretty packed. But like you said, I'll just have to push my self and do it. I guess my biggest fear is not knowing what the heck to do. I really want to get in to a routine and scheduled. I found one online I can do the workouts (with dumbbells and barbells) twice a week or 4 x/week. I'm going to start with 2/week. But first I am going to schedule a free session with a trainer.

Good Luck

I would youtube some videos on the exercises so you know the correct form.
    Then start off with light weight til you get the form down.....don't want to hurt yourself.

Thank you, I will most definitely look up videos.
  • XxQueenMxX
    I love push ups, lunges (multiple types), burpees, plank.

I also use dumbbells and barbells, but if it's crowded - don't wait around.. do something - all of the above can be done using your own body weight.

Good luck. Remember - everyone had a first day in the weight room.

You're right!
  • XxQueenMxX

Throughout my internet research today, I've read about that book like 100 times. Should I REALLY invest in it, or can I go without it? For instance, like get a session with a trainer, look up videos?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    The book is like, $9 and you can finish it in a couple hours
  • XxQueenMxX
    Oh, not bad!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    The book is worth it. But meet with a trainer for form purposes.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    I think a lot of gyms will give you a 30-60 minute free introductory time with a personal trainer to get you set up - and then if you want more advanced help later, you can buy a session or two with the trainer.

I just had a strength training tutorial at my gym - the trainer took about 30 minutes and showed me about 10 different machines and told me to get comfortable using those machines (not comfortable as in not using enough weights - but being comfortable with the environment - the intimidating RIGHT SIDE of the gym, as opposed to the left side where the cardio machines are, etc) - comfortable with knowing what my limits are, how much I can push myself with weight lifting, etc. He recommended lifting several times per week for about a month - and then he said to come back to him and he would take me to the free weights and show me how to use those properly and give me some ideas for what I should be doing over on that even more intimidating part of the gym.

Maybe your gym would offer you something like that? - a split 1 hour orientation.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Yes, I'm going to YMCA, it's convenient for my family. One of the trainers there told me I can schedule a 30-45 min session for free when ever I need it (depending on availability). I plan to schedule one soon.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Yes, I'm going to YMCA, it's convenient for my family. One of the trainers there told me I can schedule a 30-45 min session for free when ever I need it (depending on availability). I plan to schedule one soon.

Ooh, good luck!

And NROL is an easy read--broken up in sections that you can go back and re-read when you're ready. That's what I started out with. It goes over form and sets you up with an evolving routine that lasts through about 6 months. I always looked up the exercises on YouTube before starting a new one.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    I'm glad you're taking a more proactive approach than just machines. I have known a few women who I couldn't even convince to step into a gym, let alone do free weights.

Planning a session with a trainer is a great start. Have fun!
  • XxQueenMxX
    Thanks!! I need all the luck I can get haha!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press. No one will even bat an eye if you start out with the bar to get comfortable. I would definitely use that trainer session to get em to show you proper form. These lifts work multiple muscles so its the best way to start a gym routine and gain strength.

Plus! If you are intimidated by the gym, why not attack the most intimidating equipment (at least it was for me!) that way you'll get that stress out of the way haha.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member

Throughout my internet research today, I've read about that book like 100 times. Should I REALLY invest in it, or can I go without it? For instance, like get a session with a trainer, look up videos?

In this case invest is a perfect word for it. YES. Even if it's $20 seriously , yes buy the thing.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying out the gym this week with a 7 day pass. It was all going well until yesterday, my 1 yr old did not want to be at the daycare center there and cried for about 20 mins before they came to get me mid-workout :/
    I really hope he gets used to it, if not I'm screwed!

I'll have to look in to home workouts, NOT my favorite thing to do. UGH!

My fiance has a barbell with some weights, that's a good beginning I guess. I can also purchase dumbbells and other weights.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Good luck!

funny-pictures-website-pic-pics-animated-gif-cool-awesome-lol-megalawlz-megalolz-3.gif

tumblr_m6s3etD0O11rslvvzo1_500.jpg
  • XxQueenMxX
    Good luck!

funny-pictures-website-pic-pics-animated-gif-cool-awesome-lol-megalawlz-megalolz-3.gif

tumblr_m6s3etD0O11rslvvzo1_500.jpg

LOL!!! Thanks, I could use some humor this morning :laugh: