People tell me I'm losing the weight too fast?

Ok...as you can see I have lost 125 pounds...,I am so proud of myself...I lost the weight in 9 1/2 months.....people keep telling me I am losing it too fast? Thoughts......

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Ok...as you can see I have lost 125 pounds...,I am so proud of myself...I lost the weight in 9 1/2 months.....people keep telling me I am losing it too fast? Thoughts......

Well when you are as obese (no offense) as 325 pounds I imagine losing 3-4 pounds a week healthily is a possibility. I'd think though that as you got your weight under control and were starting to enter into just the "overweight" category that that weight loss would slow a bit.

What would you say your current rate of loss is? About 2 pounds a week? If you are at 200 pounds and still losing 3-4 pounds a week that does strike me as being very fast and perhaps not so healthy, but losing that earlier on that might have been fine. I've never been that overweight (again no offense not trying to brag just being honest) so you might get more of an accurate opinion from someone who started their weightloss in the morbidly obese category.

Congratulations though, going from 325 to 200 is a huge accomplishment, you must feel so much better.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member

All you need to answer your own question.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Look at graph of your weight loss - I did the math and guess that you were losing 3 to 3.5 pounds per week. My other guess is that the pace of loss has slowed down. The more you have to lose the more you are apt to lose per week. I have had some weeks when I lost 3 or 4 pounds - not every week but when you start with a lot to lose, there are weeks like that.
    I am going go with your other two responses - you are doing great, keeping steady and very proud. Keep up the good work.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Congrats! I bet you feel like a different person. I started at 319 and it has taken me about 15 months to lose the same amount of weight...but I am 20 years older than you. Without knowing anything about your calorie intake or exercise rountine it's hard to say whether 9 1/2 months is too fast. As long as you are eating at the level that MFP has set for you, doing it in a manner that is sustainable for the long haul, and your doctor is on board, losing at that rate is not unheard of when you are starting at 300+. Best wishes for your continued success!:smile:
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member

"People"do not know what they are talking about. You averaged 3.2 pounds a week, that is just fine for you (or me for that matter). When we are larger we can safely loss more weight a week than someone who does not have much to lose. You should be EXTREMELY proud! Do not let anyone tell you are doing anything wrong, you are doing everything right. Keep doing exactly what you are doing!

Good for you, I only hope I can do as well in such a short time.
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Everybody is different.... don't worry about it. I lost mine pretty fast and sat on a plateau for a year. Lost the last 35 when I least expected it. Great job I know you feel so much better!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Congratulations! That's an amazing accomplishment.

I agree with everyone else that the weight drops off more quickly the heavier you are to start with, then slows down. Anyway, I wouldn't worry unless your doctor told you you're losing it too quickly. Otherwise, keep up the good work!
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    I think that you're doing great. Eventually, your loss will slow down, but as long as you're eating enough to fuel your lifestyle, you're doing fantastic. If you start feeling symptoms like fatigue, you should up your calories.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Do you know your TDEE? What % of a deficit from that are you netting per day?

If Yes and a reasonable percentage then I'd say you know what you're doing and "people" telling you otherwise are spouting nonsense with authority.

If no then figure it out, I use the IIFYM Calculator at iifym.com. (and then make sure you have a reasonable deficit)

Congrats on your loss... awesome!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    You've done SO well and you're proud of yourself - don't let anyone take that away from you :flowerforyou: