I have NO ENERGY Help!!

I know if I loose weight I will gain energy but right now I have no energy at all right now I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, I am trying to eat healthier. I am taking Vitamin B every day as well. Any hints or tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• amythax1982
    amythax1982 Posts: 2 Member
    You might try a multivitamin specifically geared toward energy. I think One-A-Day produces one (or at least, they used to!). There are quite a few vitamins that go into our daily energy that you might be deficient in. Vitamins A, C, E... Vitamin B-6 and B-12..... just to name a few.

Also, be sure to drink plenty of water. Most people don't drink enough water. Water helps rid your body of toxins (that are potentially making you sleepy) and, as an added bonus, it help you lose weight! WIN-WIN!

There's also something to be said for the fat content in foods and sluggishness. Think about how tired you feel after eating a big juicy rib-eye! (yum...by the way..) I know that you are trying to eat healthier. Try to make sure that many of the meats you are consuming in a week are lean in fat.

And speaking of food, something that has helped me tremendously is to eat more than 3 meals in a day. I have breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, and then dinner. I try to make sure they are all healthy, but I do splurge every now and again. :-) Eating so often keeps my energy level up all day long.

Lastly, do you drink a lot of caffeine? A little is fine, but, it has been my experience that if I drink too much caffeine in a day, I crash really hard when I am coming down off the caffeine high. If you are caffeine dependent, try to slowly reduce your caffeine (don't want you to get headaches!). You might find that by reducing your caffeine intake, drinking plenty of water, and eating healthier, you will have more energy to take those extra few steps around the block or work out for a few extra minutes at the gym.

Good luck!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    How many calories are you eating? Do you eat exercise calories back?
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    It should also be pointed out that a good thing to do if you have no idea what's going on would be to get your iron tested. Whether you have too much or too little iron, they both make you fatigued all the time.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

^This would be my first thought, too. Lethargy can be a sign that you're undereating or overexercising. It's the first place to start before you run out for tests and vitamins.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382

^This would be my first thought, too. Lethargy can be a sign that you're undereating or overexercising. It's the first place to start before you run out for tests and vitamins.

Yup, this ^
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    If you can go to your doctor. There are a lot of things that can lead to lethargy that might need medical attention (even if you are fine in all other aspects).

I deal with no energy a lot but its a big indicator of me slipping back into my depression.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    I lost 40lbs five years ago, then have yo yo'd here and there since then, so I've been on several weight loss journey's. I found at the first phase of my weight loss journey every time I feel weak and depleted. Then my body get's used to it and it isn't so bad. Also, if you are exercising I found getting more protein in my diet really made a difference on how I felt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I know if I loose weight I will gain energy but right now I have no energy at all right now I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, I am trying to eat healthier. I am taking Vitamin B every day as well. Any hints or tips would be appreciated!
    If you're getting 8 hours of RESTFUL sleep, that's good. What most people don't realize is that they may have sleep apnea which a common symptom is being fatigued or tired in the day even with adequate hours of rest. Have you had it checked?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member

Yup, this ^
    +1 for this, even though it's often the last thing people want to hear or believe when they're trying so hard to lose weight. I struggled a lot early on when I wasn't eating enough. Upping my cals by even just 100 a day helped a lot. Even now, in maintenance, I find that I'm really sensitive to not eating enough for my activity level, and will quickly notice because I feel weak and drained. Vitamins/minerals will help if you're actually deficient in one of them.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I deal with no energy a lot but its a big indicator of me slipping back into my depression.
    Ooh yeah ^that for me too. That's always worth bearing in mind.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    If you're getting 8 hours of RESTFUL sleep, that's good. What most people don't realize is that they may have sleep apnea which a common symptom is being fatigued or tired in the day even with adequate hours of rest. Have you had it checked?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My thoughts, exactly. Get a sleep study.

I have sleep apnea. For 40 years, I thought that I was lazy and depressed. As soon as I was diagnosed and started wearing a CPAP at night, I became energetic, disciplined, motivated and purposeful. (... and after losing 100 pounds, I still require a CPAP, so sleep apnea does not only affect the obese.)
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    There may be several reasons for low energy:

1. Depression / Stress - if you are stressed out and have your mind in 10000 places at once.. you may be mentally draining yourself...

2. Too Few Calories - Count your macros and caloric intake. Also, look at the sources for your calories.... IF you're eating clean with good carbs and proteins you should just increase the amount of calories eaten... 1200 calories of clean food is NOT the same as 1200 calories of cheeseburgers...

3. Sleeping patterns - You may get 8 hours.. but are they deep REM sleep uninterupted?

Also, before your workout try drinking a pre-workout drink (NOT a red bull)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

IDEA Fitness member

This times 100. I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep deprivation. It had made me depressed, anxious, and (obviously) exhausted (among a whole host of other things you'd never guess were related to sleep). Now that it's being treated, I'm a whole new person.

Also, if it's Shark Week here, I have very little energy - but I push forward and feel so much better after exercising. Working out gives me energy (which sounds insane).

Make sure you're eating enough calories, carbs, fats and protein, too. Too little of those (or too much) can negatively impact your energy levels, too.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I agree with what everyone else has said, there are quite a few things that cause lethargy. It wouldn't hurt to get bloodwork done (which would include iron) and possibly check your thyroid. Thyroid is also a blood test, but isn't standard in bloodwork. I had to ask for it specifically since thyroid disease runs in my family and even then the insurance wouldn't cover it unless there were symptoms. Lethargy is a symptom of hypo so I can't imagine they would say no.

Also, I've discovered that what I'm eating has a major effect on my energy levels. If I eat pasta or a lot of bread during lunch time I am down and out right after, like could fall asleep on my keyboard. But if I have an apple and cottage cheese I'm fine (I don't usually eat a formal lunch, I eat breakfast and dinner and snack all throughout the day). This is what works best for me. You might want to change up what you eat and when and see how if affects you.
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    If you can go to your doctor. There are a lot of things that can lead to lethargy that might need medical attention (even if you are fine in all other aspects).

^^ This for me too. May not be an issue. But may be, and lots of times people don't want it to be, so they shrug off the possibility.

If you take a look at undereating/overexercising, iron def., and bloodwork, and don't see an answer, give yourself an honest assessment and check in with your fam. doc. or nurse pract. There are lots of ways depression manifests itself, including achy sore muscles, mine used to kill me every morning when I got up bc I was unable to get deep, restful sleep. I was shocked when fam doc told me that was a common sign of depression.

:-)

hope you find the answer soon
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    There may be several reasons for low energy:

1. Depression / Stress - if you are stressed out and have your mind in 10000 places at once.. you may be mentally draining yourself...

2. Too Few Calories - Count your macros and caloric intake. Also, look at the sources for your calories.... IF you're eating clean with good carbs and proteins you should just increase the amount of calories eaten... 1200 calories of clean food is NOT the same as 1200 calories of cheeseburgers...

3. Sleeping patterns - You may get 8 hours.. but are they deep REM sleep uninterupted?

Also, before your workout try drinking a pre-workout drink (NOT a red bull)

^^ all good advice, lol about the red bull, really good advice ;-)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Cleaning up my diet a bit and cutting back on my coffee boosted my energy considerably. Especially fresh fruit and veggies. (lol as I sip on a cup of coffee)
  • TLContheGulfCoast

My thoughts, exactly. Get a sleep study.

I have sleep apnea. For 40 years, I thought that I was lazy and depressed. As soon as I was diagnosed and started wearing a CPAP at night, I became energetic, disciplined, motivated and purposeful. (... and after losing 100 pounds, I still require a CPAP, so sleep apnea does not only affect the obese.)

great advice, had forgotten about this, had one done too, not an issue then, just plain old depression, but, maybe something I need to reconsider now ... thanks for mentioning it
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    First thought was to ask if you are eating enough.

Everyone has given good ideas as far as medical reasons that it could possibly be.

Personally.. I have more energy if I force myself to get up and do something first. It's easier to stay active when I am active. Getting extra sunshine helps, as well.