alternative to hot dog/burger buns?

Replies

• Kshillieto
    Kshillieto Posts: 1 Member
    If you want two, try splitting the dogs lengthwise and stacking them on the bun. It would make it very meaty. I often like two if I'm not having side dishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Where do you buy healthylife buns?? Can someone PM me where they find them?

They are just at my Jewel (midwestern chain grocery).
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    My mom started using english muffins recently - if you get the whole wheat, they're relatively healthy and they're much lower calorie than hamburger buns. I think they make great burger buns :)

EDIT: I just checked - the average WW english muffin is about half the calories of a typical burger bun (130 vs 260).
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Yeah, I make my own homemade burgers and replace the bun with giant flat mushrooms. I'm sure you could do the same with hotdogs if you cut them to fit! x

I have never heard or thought of this before but it is brilliant and I must try it!
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Butter lettuce.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I got nothing... lol Why would you not just enjoy the hot dog in its bun and log it and move on..... Some things are just meant to be enjoyed but that's just me.... Best of Luck though.....

Definitely this!

A grilled hot dog or hamburger should be enjoyed with the bun, enjoy it, log it and carry on enjoying the day
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    I put a hot dog on a low-cal slice of bread. I think it's like 45 calories. For burgers I just skip the bun.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Healthy life sells Hamburger and Hot Dog buns both at 80 calories and they are very tasty.
    HLOrigWheatHotDogBuns-350.jpg

HLOrigWheatSandwichBuns-350.jpg

Whaaaaaa? I need to find these.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    How often do you eat hot dogs for this to be a concern, jeez

Just eat the bun. I promise you won't die. And one day every now and then won't ruin all your work. Just put some chili and cheese on it so you get some legumes and dairy in :happy:

and if you eat these soooo much that this is a general concern, there's lettuce. A nice thick, leaf of lettuce wrapped around, mmmm

Good Luck OP :flowerforyou:
  • burtonbrian
    burtonbrian Posts: 2 Member
    For a Hotdog I use a burger slimwhich bun (@ 90 cal) only use half of it for each dog so @ 45 cal
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    My buns, they're delicious :) too bad it's not Wednesday anymore.

But in all honesty, pita bread, tortillas, unsliced fresh bread from your bakery (cut thin slices yourself), or actually move your limbs and do stuff so that a hot dog bun won't cause you stress :P
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    In the winter, I'll often make a hot dog bun out of snow.
    In the summer, some grass clippings mashed together usually work.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Eat a Smartdog (tofu hotdog) - they are 50 calories each; put it on one slice Arnold Whole Wheat Bread - 100 calories; total - 150 calories.

I know, it's not a 'real' hotdog - but I think they're pretty tasty - and you save a TON of calories (and fat, and sodium)!
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Eat a Smartdog (tofu hotdog) - they are 50 calories each; put it on one slice Arnold Whole Wheat Bread - 100 calories; total - 150 calories.

I know, it's not a 'real' hotdog - but I think they're pretty tasty - and you save a TON of calories (and fat, and sodium)!

I don't think I could bring myself to eat a tofu hotdog. That seems terrifying to me.

Side note, though: We eat tacos once a week, and instead of eating the whole hard shell I break it in half, put my meat and stuff on top and eat it like a little pizza slice or something. Another trick!
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    if you cut a slit down the center of the hot dog lengthwise, it can become a meat bun for another hot dog
  • has anyone said grilled, giant, portabella mushroom caps?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Shop around for the buns - the store brand I buy are 90 calories for the hot dogs and 100 for hamburger buns. You could always just use plain old white bread - Wonder White classic is only 70 calories a slice. Or, you could even use the "diet" breads that are 40ish calories per slice. Doesn't appeal to me, but if you really want to cut the calories, that would do it.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    There is non. Skip the bun if you don't want to eat it.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Lettuce
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    None. Eat it, walk/run/zumba whatever an extra mile. Enjoy!!!