Get a chance to ride this weekend?

Guinness80
Guinness80 Posts: 39 Member
Anyone else get a chance to go out and ride today? We got to enjoy some time at the local trails earlier today and it is just so refreshing to be in the saddle. Makes everything else better.

10336745_10203982889159601_4545675849585578552_n.jpg[\img]

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    I got to ride yesterday and today. Yesterday was the rodeo with a bucking bronco who has learned that he has to listen to ME.

Today was much better when he remembered and he gave me some nice engaged, through and round trot work.

I hope we can keep it up, weather permitting!

Pip
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Couldn't open the link for some reason but glad you got out there!

I did a little - just walking / trotting for a week until she is 100% clear from the vet. yesterday we were out in the big field and we both just wanted to run... but...we just walked. She was pretty bummed! I actually felt bad so naturally she got an entire bag of carrots...
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    I did - I am one happy camper too. I rode Scout. My little 13.1hh gelding. He carried me with no problem. It was my first time on his back and he was a perfect gentleman. My daughter has done a good job getting him started. We just walked and trotted a little.

I had told my daughter if I get on and his legs buckle I would get right off. I got on, he was still standing so we tried a walk, then a trot.

This is the whole reason I have been loosing weight. I can't wait to get on again. Unfortunately it won't be until the weekend, unless my schedule clears up one night this week.

:smile:
  • Guinness80
    Pip - a rodeo is never fun when you aren't wanting one, but glad you got him listening.

MissMissle - the link was just a pic of the trails were were on. Nothing big. Not sure how to post pics here.

Luckypony - how great that must feel! I just started my boy Guinness this spring and its been amazing. My horse is also one of the big factors in my quest for weight loss.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Guinness: so glad you got a good ride on the trails!

MissMissle - hope you get the all clear soon!

Luckypony - I have been wondering how your ride went and was hoping for an update from the other thread. That's great! Sounds like you are on the right path!

Pip - good job on the rodeo riding. I always feel so accomplished when I am actually able to stay on and make them mind me.

My usual lesson horse had an abcess on his mouth burst open, so I hacked him a little, then rode a different horse for my lesson. He was wonderful! I am now scheming on how I can do a part-lease on him. I jumped an entire course of crossrails for the first time, and it felt awesome!!! And I only almost fell off once. :blushing:
  • epiphany29
    Ladies, I was actually SO very proud of the rodeo. It's a huge victory for me not panicking, and pushing him through it. My trainer and I knew this was coming (he's been being recalcitrant for a couple of weeks) but the hope was that it would happen next weekend when the clinic master came in. I did it alone, we came to an understanding and NO one got hurt :)

I hope everyone continues to enjoy their summers with the horses. They are the best thing in the world for sanity.

Pip
  • luckypony71

Luckypony - I have been wondering how your ride went and was hoping for an update from the other thread. That's great! Sounds like you are on the right path!

Pip - good job on the rodeo riding. I always feel so accomplished when I am actually able to stay on and make them mind me.

My usual lesson horse had an abcess on his mouth burst open, so I hacked him a little, then rode a different horse for my lesson. He was wonderful! I am now scheming on how I can do a part-lease on him. I jumped an entire course of crossrails for the first time, and it felt awesome!!! And I only almost fell off once. :blushing:

That is great! Good for you, you should be very proud. I love the way I feel after a good ride. They talk about exercise endorphins, I have never felt those, but the endorphins from that perfect canter, or riding through a rodeo, or jumping a full course...those just can't be beat.
  • luckypony71
    Ladies, I was actually SO very proud of the rodeo. It's a huge victory for me not panicking, and pushing him through it. My trainer and I knew this was coming (he's been being recalcitrant for a couple of weeks) but the hope was that it would happen next weekend when the clinic master came in. I did it alone, we came to an understanding and NO one got hurt :)

I hope everyone continues to enjoy their summers with the horses. They are the best thing in the world for sanity.

Pip

You have every right to be proud. That is a great accomplishment.
  • MissMissle

Woohoo for jumping! I REALLY hope I can get to a full course of some bigger jumps by summer's end...but I'm also not getting my hopes up - taking it day by day, it depends on where my horse is, I feel like I scared her a bit from my lack of confidence jumping....so, I can only expect her to give me what i give her....just got to keep working!

I have a ten mile breast cancer benefit ride (google MA Ride for the Ribbon if anyone wants to donate LOL) that I'm doing with my BFF - a 2 year cancer free survivor next Sunday - I'm pumped!!! Shy will be getting some entiinflammatories the day before and the day of, just in case her back gets a little sore... trying to build her up day by day till we get there!

We should do a little riding challenge for the month of June! Screw planks... anyone in for a half seat challenge...add 30 seconds a day? The kids at my barn do full 1.5 hour lessons jumping non stop with no stirrups, i'd be lucky if I can make it around the ring twice in a half seat with stirrups!!
  • Guinness80

Pip

So glad you were able to handle it yourself! It helps build more confidence in the future, doesn't it?

I'm waiting for my upcoming rodeo. My mustang has just started saddle training this spring and there always comes that time when they feel the need to test and I'm just waiting for it.
  • luckypony71
    Half seat would help me with my lower leg issues. I just don't have time to ride everyday.
  • luckypony71
    Guinness80 - I was thinking the same thing. I wonder when he will buck. He is young, I am expecting it.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    My daughter and I got to get out this weekend for a trail ride. It was a nice ride....except when Sox saw the horse eating donkey in the neighbors yard... he danced around and survived luckly (and I stayed on) :laugh:
  • epiphany29
    Those darn horse eating things out there! I am so looking forward to this weekend and a bunch of horse related fun. My horse's girlfriend is no longer lame, so I am hoping in a couple of weeks she is fit enough that we can go back to trail riding. I am enjoying our arena progress, but it is really better for the horse if he cross trains.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    My daughter and I got to get out this weekend for a trail ride. It was a nice ride....except when Sox saw the horse eating donkey in the neighbors yard... he danced around and survived luckly (and I stayed on) :laugh:

We had a broodmare who was so afraid of donkeys she jumped out of the fence to get away from them!

I haven't gotten to ride in the last week plus until yesterday, and didn't get to jump b/c I don't trust that horse (my usual is still not doing well). He got a little spooky on me, but I got him through it.

I am envious of those of you able to ride and jump without stirrups--I am nowhere near ready for that, but my legs are slowly getting stronger. Tip for the day--don't take a 7 year break from riding! After 9 mos I'm still struggling...but getting better. If I could talk my husband into letting me buy or lease one, then maybe I'd improve faster!
  • MissMissle

I am envious of those of you able to ride and jump without stirrups--I am nowhere near ready for that, but my legs are slowly getting stronger. Tip for the day--don't take a 7 year break from riding! After 9 mos I'm still struggling...but getting better. If I could talk my husband into letting me buy or lease one, then maybe I'd improve faster!

Do I hear a "No Stirrup Novemeber" in July coming on? I did it last year for lent....bailed out this past November...and then again this past lent :-(. I'd like to do it again because even though it sucked and it hurt and my rides were shorter and i felt like i was going to fall off...i felt really, really good at the end of the month.... I just need some accountability partners!
  • Guinness80
    Fingers crossed about going riding tomorrow at the trails. I tried to ride my mustang the other day and he bucked me off something awful. Not typical for him at all, but he is still green. My back is starting to feel better so I'm trying again tomorrow if the weather permits. Lets hope for no repeats of the rodeo!
  • luckypony71

Do I hear a "No Stirrup Novemeber" in July coming on? I did it last year for lent....bailed out this past November...and then again this past lent :-(. I'd like to do it again because even though it sucked and it hurt and my rides were shorter and i felt like i was going to fall off...i felt really, really good at the end of the month.... I just need some accountability partners!

I would like to try "No Stirrup November"
  • epiphany29
    I can only do" no stirrup 20 minutes in a lesson" HMMM, I guess I need more core don't I?
  • MissMissle
    Hmmm... I can probs do no stirrups for an hour...BUT i'd just be walking and sitting trot haha!!! Maybe we could start a challenge group. Day 1, 5 minutes no stirrups at a trot...then move up? I was riding yesterday and I felt really weak - I'm hoping its just from my sun poisoning.... but even cantering in my half seat was pretty difficult. My legs also have been feeling very weak - I know "no stirrup work" is the way to go! But its so haaaaard - even yesterday i was screaming at myself in my head "why don't you practice your damn halfseat!!!" Did I? nope....