Pizza: Love/Hate?

13»

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    5. ...
    6. Profit.

FTW!

On another note, I'm not a fan of any of the national chains. We used to have a Pizza Inn nearby and I loved their thin crust buffalo chicken pizza. I think I'll take a run at making it from scratch.

BTW - Making dough is almost as easy as making waffles. Buying ready made is almost as silly as buying iced tea.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    When I want to make pizza at home, I use Wolfgang Puck's recipe for pizza dough. It has always worked great for me and doesn't need a lot of time to rise.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pizza-dough-recipe0.html
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I love pizza. Napoletana style is my favorite overall, and Papa John's is my favorite of the chains. For toppings, I like a Margherita, you can add some meat, not too much and I'm good with that, too. Anchovies are awesome on a pizza, and I'll try almost anything that doesn't have a topping I KNOW I'll hate. Two of my favorite more unusual pizzas are: fig, goat cheese and caramelized onions w/ anchovies; and pear, arugula, gorgonzola, walnuts and balsamic. Yum.

There's a nice crust recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Neapolitan-Style-Pizza-Pizza-alla-Napoletana-51111000

You may want to increase the salt in the dough. I found it can make a big difference in flavor.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    5. ...
    6. Profit.

FTW!

On another note, I'm not a fan of any of the national chains. We used to have a Pizza Inn nearby and I loved their thin crust buffalo chicken pizza. I think I'll take a run at making it from scratch.

BTW - Making dough is almost as easy as making waffles. Buying ready made is almost as silly as buying iced tea.

I can't seem to get the dough right! I can make a whole Thanksgiving Dinner, roast an amazing chicken, and any number of things. But I keep failing on pizza dough!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Who would hate pizza?

:cry:

Me :( It's utterly disgusting, gloopy, sticky, icky....ugh...

Made losing weight easier that i didnt get cravings for it too! :D
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    I love all the pizza. I have no issue with going for cheap either---picked up two Tony's cheese pizzas for $3.25. No regrets.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    My pizza is gluten free (celiac) but the crust isn't the exciting part! Try Mozzarella cheese, yellow cheese, parm cheese and at least one other cheese. Top it with pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon and regular bacon. Sprinkle the whole she-bang with garlic salt! Mmmmmmmm.... My crazy DH also likes shiracha (sp?) on his. It's a mild hot sauce.

I'm also coeliac and eat gluten-free pizza, I totally second using more than one cheese to give it a flavour oomph, I love adding thin-sliced pepperoni on it too. Pizza Hut pizza can be quite oily but so tasty! I haven't had one for a long time, hate to think of the calories in it..... I'd have to do some serious walking afterwards I think, lol.
  • DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Love..homemade 90% of the time.

Great crust recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com and she has a recipe for Apple Gorgonzola pizza. Have made her spinach artichoke pizza (I sautéed the onion and garlic first) and a similar barbecue chicken pizza. Going to make a buffalo chicken pizza with wing sauce and some bleu cheese. Couple of pieces for under 600 calories and life is good.

Mario Batali has a great pizza margherita recipe. I like to do a backwards one with pesto for sauce and sun dried tomatoes.

Love...love...love
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    English muffin, pizza sauce, cheese and bake in the oven. Yum. I eat it for breakfast.

LoL!
    When we couldn't afford to order or didn't have any frozen, we used to make it using bread...but then I stopped eating bread about a month ago when I realized how many calories were in 1 single slice.
    I just found some low cal bread this past weekend (35 per slice), so this will be a "cheat" way to have some :bigsmile:
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Ehh... I have mixed emotions with pizza. It depends on what kind for me. Overly salty, meaty, oily and/or cheesy pizza makes me nauseous. I love different variations though, like marinara pizza with loads of veggies or jalapeno, chicken, garlic pizza. I also like anchovies and mushrooms and olives!! I used to make my own using flat breads as the dough. I think tomorrow, I'll use the chickpea flatbread I made yesterday and make a "chipotle" style pizza with beans and avocado. :D mmm
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Adore.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    www.dominos.com
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Recipes for bases - Rick Stein, Nigella, Nigel Slater or Sam Stern - all are variations on a theme and work well depending on your preference. All available via google.

Then I either make proper slow-cooked tomato sauce or just use passata, and toppings according to whether I went shopping or am just using up bits.

For a diet- friendly substitute I use a square wholemeal flatbread, passata, red onions, mushrooms, red peppers, red chili flakes, smoked ham & drained cottage cheese. It isn't the same thing but it tastes good.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    I could go for some Mellow Mushroom.........
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    And do you have any good recipes to share?

Start here:

Pizzahut.com
    dominos.com
    Putthedamnpizzainmyface.com

No one who loves pizza would contaminate themselves with Pizza Hut. D:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    If you hate pizza you are wrong and I hate you.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Love homemade pizza (or really good restaurant ones)

HATE with a passion chain store pizza (ie. Domino's, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut etc)

But I don't know if it's the gluten or sodium but I always end up feeling sickly after..
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    tmIsjzC.gif