Savory Oatmeal

lily_swenson
lily_swenson Posts: 38 Member
I'm not much of a sweet person.. So imagine my delight when I "discovered" my grandfather eats his oatmeal with a crack of black pepper, some salt and a tiny drizzle of butter (must be a Russian thing), I personally LOVE eating my oats this way and would like to try more savory versions of this grain...do you have any recipes? How do you eat your oatmeal? Also instead of butter I use olive oil

Replies

• brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    I share your sentiments.

Bump for ideas
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Check out this blog: www.theoatmealartist.com She has tons of different recipes, and several savory ones too.
  • lily_swenson
    Thank you this is a very good website! Here are some of the savory recipes I'm interested in:
    Greek Oatmeal
    Ingredients (serves 1)
    1/8 cup of diced red onion
    1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
    1/2 cup unsweetened milk (preferably soy)
    1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
    2 tbsp hummus
    handful of spinach, cut/ripped in strips
    handful sliced kalamati olives (optional)
    handful tomatoes, cherry or sun-dried (optional)
    diced cucumber (optional, for topping)
    crumbled feta cheese (optional)
    salt and black pepper
  • lily_swenson
    Mexican Corn Oatmeal
    Ingredients (serves 1)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup milk of choice (unsweetened and unflavored), water, or broth
    1/2 cup frozen corn
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    the juice of half a lime (~1 tbsp)
    1/8 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
    salt and pepper, to taste
  • lily_swenson
    Oatmeal Risotto
    Ingredients (serves 4)
    1 cup steel-cut oats
    3 cups water
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    pinch of salt
    1 ripe banana, mashed
    parmesan cheese shavings, as a topping
  • lily_swenson
    Pizza Oatmeal
    1 cup milk of choice, or water
    1/3 cup pizza/marinara sauce
    your favorite pizza toppings!
    pinch of salt
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Last week I did eggs scrambled with spinach, red bell pepper, and jalapeño, bacon, cheese and butter on top of my oats. Delicious!!
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    I cook it like usual with water, when it's done and while it's still smoking hot I stir in some cheddar cheese until it's melted and gooey. Then top with a runny egg, salt pepper.
  • lily_swenson
    I cook it like usual with water, when it's done and while it's still smoking hot I stir in some cheddar cheese until it's melted and gooey. Then top with a runny egg, salt pepper.

yum :love:
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    I love to add a little tamari/soy sauce, a sprinkle of garlic and onion powder, and LF shredded cheese.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Had never thought of oatmeal savory...though I suppose it's like me and cottage cheese. I think it's nasty when people put jam or fruit in it-I only like it with salt and pepper!
  • byahbee
    byahbee Posts: 19
    my grandparents are scottish and they just ate theirs with salt which was awful and has probably put me off savoury porridge for life! i don't add any sugar to mine but i do have it with dried apple and blueberries, also i prefer the finely milled powdery oats :)
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    I eat mine with furikake ( japanese rice seasoning made from seaweed ). If you like fish and sushi then you try it out. The stuff is good on everything, on rice, porridge, oatmeal, udon noodles ... :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    I once put hot sauce in mine.

Don't do that. Don't ever do that. :sick:

Sometimes I'll pop a bit of marmite or just a bit of salt n pepper.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'm in for recipes, I do not do sweet food in the morning but find that oatmeal, when I do have it, does fill me up and stick til lunch. I've got a recipe for savory oatmeal slice which has sundried tomatoes and olives, so I'd probably really like savoury oatmeal
  • awebs89
    awebs89 Posts: 53 Member
    I just tried this today and it was awesome:

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 sunnyside up egg
    1/4 cup cheese
    1 cup spinach
    anything else you want to throw in ex. mushroom, avocado, onion
    garlic powder, salt, pepper

Cook oatmeal in water in mix in everything and top with the egg
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Bump. I've never tried savory oatmeal but I'm very interested. Hopefully someone can post some more ideas!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    If I love grits and polenta with salt, pepper, and butter, I bet I will love oats the same way. Guess I have to try it.

Thanks...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    We had some mushroom risotto-style oatmeal a couple of weeks ago. It was delicious and in no way felt like a breakfast food. Instead of water, I partially cooked it in chicken broth in the microwave. I sauteed mushrooms with some herbs in olive oil, stirred in the partially cooked oatmeal and broth, and stirred it around for a minute or so until it was done.

Faster than cooking rice for real risotto. Bill said it reminded him of stuffing but that's probably because I put some sage in it.

Technically, I was using Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Cereal -- but it's basically "multigrain oatmeal." We use it instead cuz it's yummy in multigrain bread and we can get it in bulk from Amazon.

So, my take away is that oatmeal is a great whole grain for supper. Cook it following the package direction but with savory stuff instead of sweet stuff and it's supper not breakfast. So simple. Who knew?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    in my house we say do you want your oats sweet (brown sugar) or scots? (butter and salt)

I had "scots" oats this morning, with margarine. Yum.