is 2000 calories a day too much

i usually eat 1500-2000 calories a day. im currently exercising 4 times a week and i push myself during workouts. today i burnt over 500 calories. i find im eating less and get fuller quicker. i had dinner before the gym but when i came back i had an apple and some strawberries. i've had in total around 1800 calories. i feel a bit hungry. i want a frozen yoghurt (162 cals) but is it too much. i sometimes have healthy late night snacks i.e. fruit and a frozen yoghurt but still loose a bit of weight. im not very good at estimating calories so i could have had more of less, i really dont know.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Have you been losing weight at 2000 calories? If so, are you happy with that rate of weight loss? No one can say "yes" or "no" to your question. That said, it's very doubtful that a frozen yogurt is going to hurt you in the long run.
  • alexagia
    alexagia Posts: 37 Member
    If you're really trying to lose weight, 2000 is a lot (in my opinion)

It really doesn't matter how healthy the snacks are if they're high in calories. Also, you should cut out late night eating. I usually stop all eating after 8 or 9PM, and as time goes on you body gets used to it. And being hungry is not always an indication of your body needing more food, it can mean that you're just thirsty.
  • On days you work out a lot no, but any other day I would say for weight loss it's too much. That's my opinion anyways but everyone is different! Do what works for you
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    As long as you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Have you been losing weight at 2000 calories? If so, are you happy with that rate of weight loss? No one can say "yes" or "no" to your question. That said, it's very doubtful that a frozen yogurt is going to hurt you in the long run.
    This. Your profile shows you've lost 3lb already. If you are happy with this pace, keep it up. I get to have 1900 calories today after a jog and you can bet your boots, I am gonna eat as many calories that I can today without going over. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    @alexagia

2000 isn't really a lot, ever, regardless of the situation and you should aim to lose on as MANY calories as you can to allow more wiggle room later down the line. Late night eating does no harm, and neither does the calorie content of a snack so long as the total calorie expenditure over time is less than intake. Though, you are right about hunger sometimes being an indication of thirst.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    2000 calories a day is fine as long as it's a deficit for you. At some point 2000 may be too high and you will maintain or gain weight so I would suggest slowly cutting back on calories. Exercise is good for body composition, but I would try not to eat back those calories (up to 1/2) because a lot of MFP calories burned seems a bit high and you might go over your daily limit.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    " im not very good at estimating calories so i could have had more of less, i really dont know. "

You should not be estimating calories. If you are truly eating 2000 calories and losing then good for you! If you are estimating then you have no idea how many calories you are eating. If that is working for you then good job. It might not always. I would say weigh everything to ensure you are eating at a deficit of your total daily calorie needs. Whatever that number may be.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    It really depends on how tall you are, how much you weigh and how active you are outside of your workouts. Someone 5'2" and mostly sitting at a desk or in front of the computer all day, you might need to cut back a little before too long but if you are 5'7" and on your feet walking all day or doing something active outside of your workouts, you might even have room to spare.

Plus I agree with ironanimal about eating in the evening. I eat before bed pretty much every night and still lose weight.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I have around 90% of my calories within an hour of going to bed, 300 of which are IN bed :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    What is your TDEE?
    What is your BMR?

Timing matters not.. only eating less then you burn matters.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    No it is not.
  • joyma321
    joyma321 Posts: 10 Member
    If you're really trying to lose weight, 2000 is a lot (in my opinion)

It really doesn't matter how healthy the snacks are if they're high in calories. Also, you should cut out late night eating. I usually stop all eating after 8 or 9PM, and as time goes on you body gets used to it. And being hungry is not always an indication of your body needing more food, it can mean that you're just thirsty.

I second that.