The importance of water and sleep...

trustymutsi
trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
I've really been struggling to get my weight off. Been trying to get below 195 for a while now.

Well, about couple weeks ago I finally made a real effort to get more sleep. Now I'm averaging 7-8 hours a night, and I've finally seen a couple pounds go away.

Now I'm wondering if my other nemesis is hydration. I've only been drinking about 2-3 glasses a day. Can not drinking enough water stall weight loss?

Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Well, in my opinion sleep and hydration are both important to weight loss. I know I lose more consistently when I'm rested and drinking water all day.
  • lariskeafval
    lariskeafval Posts: 18 Member
    It's important to drink enough water so your body can eliminate the toxins and it's also good for weight loss. Try to drink at least 3 bottles of 0,5 L a day.. What I do is: one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. (spread over couple of hours of course) just drink every time you look at the bottle. I used to never drink water and barely drink at all and look at me now! You'll get used to drinking water all day very soon
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Sleep is very important. You can water from your fruits and veggies to, and you can count tea as well, I drink a lot of tea.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Sleep, as above, is very important. Neat water is not so important. If you like it, go ahead! But as long as you are getting your water from SOME source, its all good. I get all mine from coffee, fruit, milk etc.

Don't let the old myth about having to drink 583494 cups of neat water a day add to the confusion. As long as your pee is a light yellowish, you're perfectly hydrated :)
  • trustymutsi
    These items though are more fine tuning. I'd look at the big picture first - food choices, caloric intake, exercise, etc.

Okay I took a quick look at your diary... You've got a lot of processed foods, flour, and cheese. I think you're going to need to cut all three of those out, or start with one at a time. Add more natural foods.

This is something I'm working on. You should have seen my diary a month ago! :)

I'm going to try and have veggies and beans with my proteins rather than processed carbs. I don't want to do this half-way.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member

Okay I took a quick look at your diary... You've got a lot of processed foods, flour, and cheese. I think you're going to need to cut all three of those out, or start with one at a time. Add more natural foods.

Reduce, maybe, but not eliminate. Nothing is off limits as long as it fits into his macros.

I'd worry more about logging regularly and accurately. There seem to be some gaps in your diary. Getting a food scale and weighing your portions ensures you aren't eating more than you think.

Also, your calorie count seems really low for a guy. Make sure you know what your BMR is and that you're eating above it. Not giving your body enough calories to complete its basic functions isn't going to make the weight loss process any easier. This is a good calculator to help you figure out your BMR, TDEE, and the number of calories you should be aiming for: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • trustymutsi

Reduce, maybe, but not eliminate. Nothing is off limits as long as it fits into his macros.

I'd worry more about logging regularly and accurately. There seem to be some gaps in your diary. Getting a food scale and weighing your portions ensures you aren't eating more than you think.

Also, your calorie count seems really low for a guy. Make sure you know what your BMR is and that you're eating above it. Not giving your body enough calories to complete its basic functions isn't going to make the weight loss process any easier. This is a good calculator to help you figure out your BMR, TDEE, and the number of calories you should be aiming for: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I weigh all of my food. There are a couple gaps where I'd go to a wedding, or take a day off (which I do VERY rarely), or I just didn't enter it in, but still counted.

As for the amount of calories, I've been trying to do it with more calories, and I my weight loss stalls. It didn't come off again until I went down to 1,300. It might be partly because I sit at a desk all day long.

I will say however, that I've been getting more sleep, which may have contributed to the weight loss stall. Maybe now that I get more, I should try adding some calories back?