Fussy Eater

Hi,

So.. Ever since childhood I've been a really fussy eater. Now it comes to being older and wanting to diet/lose weight/get fit the fussy eating side of me is proving to be troublesome.

Half the recipes for healthy food contain stuff I will instantly turn my nose up at. I've nae eaten veg for 4 years until recently when I've started ocassionally adding peas and carrots back to my food.

I eat a lot of chicken and rice.

It's rabbit food and fish that are the two things that are always in any nutrional information I read and other than tuna and beetroot I don't like any of it!

I've just started doing the T25 and reading the food diet for that I was nearly sick!

Any of you fussy eaters out there? How do you cope? Have you ever forced yourself to become accustomed with something just because it's healthy?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    weight loss = deficit of CALORIES

Most of us know this, and eat what we enjoy so it's never a problem, at least if you don't fall for all the Dr.Oz bull**** and believe eating worm **** or something will make you shed 232323 lbs in an hour.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I guess you would class me as a fussy eater. Never thought of it like that before...

I dont like any veg either, and idd most meals i see in books etc just arent feasible for me to have. The point is are you trying to get healthy, or just lose weight and become healthier? I was the latter, so with lots of exercise, hitting my macros, taking supplements to get at least nearer to my micros, making a calorie deficit, and after those were done eating whatever i liked, it worked! :)
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    I have pretty immature taste buds and I don't do salads beyond lettuce and grated carrot. Eating stuff on it's own is difficult. However, I eat a lot of other vegetables by adding them into other foods I like to mask the flavours. You can try chopping them up very small before you add them to recipes too.
    I make chicken curry with rice, and in that I can eat stuff like spinach, beans, or broccoli cos it disintegrates really small and I can't taste it. Also in soups and smoothies I put gross things with things I like and find a balance where it tastes nice. Sometimes I make mac n cheese with chicken and add frozen peas carrots and corn to that. If I have no other choice, all I do is take a fork or spoon full of whatever is nice on the plate, with some of the gross stuff and then it sort of makes it more tolerable-like I used to hate berries because they were sour to me, but I combine them with yogurt, honey or sweeter fruit and it's do-able.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    I used to be a very picky eater in my youth/teen years, but then in my twenties I decided to try new things....

now there are very few foods I won't eat.

I would like to encourage you to explore a little ... let your taste buds grow. You'll probably surprise yourself.

In the meantime, you could try adding veg to sauces you do like, or a little cheese with veg like broccoli or cauliflower, make soups or sauces that you can puree extra veggies into then you likely won't taste (eg. I add mushrooms, onion & green peppers to tomato sauce ... add puree it for my daughter, cuz if she sees the chunks she won't eat, but she doesn't notice them when they're pureed)

Happy eating :D
  • I've put a stone on in 6 months working where I do because of the subsidised canteen.. Having said that it is helping me to learn new foods...

I've just had Panko breaded fishcake with lemon mayo for the first time ever. Wasn't too bad.

For those asking...

I'm trying to lose weight, eat healthy and just be a healthier person in general.

The problem I always have is I can choose a meat for tea but then I'm always stuck what to have with it unless I have the same thing over and over again. Personally I think it's just a case of keep trying new things. As much as eating for a change is making me put on weight it could be better for me in the long run.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    weight loss is calories in v calories out. As long as you stick to your calorie goal, you should lose weight.

As for health, you need to ensure you're getting all the nutrients your body needs. Those are: protein, fat (it should include fatty foods that are high in essential fatty acids), carbohydrate, vitamins (including fat soluble vitamins), minerals, fibre and water. How you get these doesn't really matter, so pick foods that you like to eat that contain them. Some foods contain more than one of these, for example mackerel contains protein and fat (and it's the kind with lots of EFAs) and fruits and vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, fibre and carbohydrates.

So basically, 1. stick to your calorie goal, and 2. ensure you're getting all the nutrients you need. You don't have to eat any foods you don't like, and you don't have to give up foods you do like (although foods that are very calorie dense you do need to be careful about portion control so you stay within your calorie goal). That's it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I'm a picky eater, but luckily the things I don't like are butter, white sauces, fried foods (except french fries), anything greasy and anything that doesn't look appetizing. I was fortunate to have a mother who didn't overcook vegetables and who cooked most of her meat plain. That being said, It was still not hard to gain weight that had me come to MFP. My biggest problem now is I tend to under eat and not get enough protein, but I'm working on it. I work with a nutritionist usually and I don't weigh myself often so I don't focus on the numbers.

Have patience. Changing your eating habits takes time. I think the best thing people can do for themselves is to not overcook vegetables.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    1) Try new things. Not all vegetables suck.

2) Learn how to cook properly. Canned vegetables are the least tasty, in my opinion. Buy fresh, but even frozen vegetables are okay if you season them up.

3) Vegetables are only this: fiber and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals). If you take a multi-vitamin and get plenty of fiber elsewhere in your diet, there's very little that you're missing.

4) But even while keeping number 3 in mind, there are some really tasty vegetables, so try something out and broaden your horizons. You may surprise yourself.
  • vix0r
    vix0r Posts: 1 Member
    For most of my childhood and a good deal of my adult years, I was also picky. I "hated" vegetables, dishes with any amount of complexity, most "ethnic" foods, and anything that had a texture I didn't like (eg: steak = good, ground beef = not so good).

I've found the biggest and most important thing for me has been to actively work myself into trying small new things. At one point I tried spinach (as a bed of greens underneath things I liked--citrus, strawberry, craisins, nuts) and found it wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be. Eventually I tried green peppers. Hey, they're pretty good. Then garlic, then onions, then zucchini, then broccoli and mushrooms. All things that I never really expected to "warm up" to, but now I routinely buy them in my grocery trips and find myself looking at healthy recipes online and thinking they look quite good.

It's a long, slow process to retrain your food associations and your psychology around eating, but it's totally possible. You have to want to change and be willing to step out of your comfort zone with some baby steps. You also have to be willing to recognize that some things are a bridge too far (for now), and pushing yourself to try them will only cause you to recoil and possibly give up.

Don't give up. Food is awesome and most of the recipes you're coming across were put together in large part because they are delicious. People have been eating and enjoying vegetables for centuries, and you can join in the fun. If you get to the point where you see kale chips or zucchini fries as being equally desirable as potato-based chips and fries, you'll find yourself in a position where controlling your calories is MUCH easier to do.

This seems a little self-serving, but your post/question is closely enough related to a blog I recently started that I kind of feel compelled to point you at it. I started writing it because I am/was a picky eater and had never really come across something written from that perspective. I'm attempting to lose weight AND become a more adventurous eater simultaneously. It's an ongoing process. I post a little bit about myself and post two recipes a week to give my feedback on them. Check it out if you like: http://chewingintensifies.tumblr.com/

Good luck!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    OHHHHHHH fussy eater.... carry on.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    OHHHHHHH fussy eater.... carry on.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    OHHHHHHH

I don't think oxygen has a high enough valency to attach to that many hydrogen atoms.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    You spelled p**** wrong.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    You spelled p**** wrong.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bremca28
    bremca28 Posts: 21 Member
    Lmao love it!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    I thought this said something completely different lol.