Backhanded compliment ....

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    [/quote]

me too... I drive by compliment complete strangers- would definitely not be doing that about their figure.

[/quote]

"drive by compliment" I never put a name to it. I do that too. "nice boots!" is one of my favorites to give.
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    One that cracks me up... "you look good today" as opposed to yesterday when evidently I looked like crap :happy:
  • pfeif21
    pfeif21 Posts: 27
    are ya freakin kidding me to the -- "you former cow" fb comment. defriend that co worker NOW. they're envious i'm sure.
  • Jovette42
    Jovette42 Posts: 280 Member
    When my Nana was alive she told me "Aye no Jovette you are getting too fat!" My response was "Yes that's usually what happens after having a baby Nana" My son was 6 mos old. :laugh:

THEN I came home on leave again and got "Aye no Jovette you are getting too skinny." My response was "Nana make up your mind" :laugh:
    She passed away at 94 1/2 years old and I would LOVE to hear her tell me something :love:

NOW my mother is taking her place "Aye no Jovette you can't get down to 122 lbs that's too skinny" My response is "Mami I was that before I got injured." Then she comes back with "Yes but that was when you were younger." :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Typical Hispanic families don't like "skinny" that just means your family isn't feeding you enough. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    "You look good for your age." Ughhhh.

I don't know. I guess everyone is different. I would love to get a compliment like this.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    i got one once that was super. my weight has fluctuated over the years and i had someone whose know me for a while go "you were super hot when you were thin, are you hoping to get back to that with the diet and exercise youre doing now?"
    that was so super.

This made me really LOL!
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    My mother used to call me her 'cow -girl' and said it was a good thing I was so sweet tempered or no one would put up with me - Now she calls me her little cow - and tells me that I am not nearly as sweet as I was when I was heavier, but its okay because now that I was not AS fat I could get away with it - Unfortunately this is a compliment from my mother so I smiled and say "awww thanks mom"
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Well you don't have to be cocky about it!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    My mother used to call me her 'cow -girl' and said it was a good thing I was so sweet tempered or no one would put up with me - Now she calls me her little cow - and tells me that I am not nearly as sweet as I was when I was heavier, but its okay because now that I was not AS fat I could get away with it - Unfortunately this is a compliment from my mother so I smiled and say "awww thanks mom"

:noway:
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    last week when posting a pic on fb of a before/current, a coworker said to me 'wow you former cow'

OMG!! Who says that??

Here are a couple of my favorites:

From a cousin that was always petite- "Don't lose to much weight because then you will be skinny too and have big boobs and that wouldn't be fair." lol ok?

From my doctor when I was pregnant with my first child and losing weight from being sick so much- "Don't worry about it, you could stand to lose some weight anyway." I lost 40 lbs with that pregnancy...... then gained it back.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    My favourite is "you will never be skinny. Your body is happy this size!"

1) I don't want to be skinny, I want to be strong and healthy and
    2) I'm the one in this body saying I'm not happy but thanks for your insight! LOL
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    I haven't lost that much yet (total of almost 30 pounds) and I have heard...

"Were you sick-you don't look well" ---people at work
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    I wear a lot of black. I'm colorblind, so it's the most appealing to me.

I had this coworker who would always gush when I wore an actual color. "Oh, what a PRETTY color. That color looks LOVELY on you."

I wouldn't have thought much of it if she hadn't told me how she dealt with our very poorly-dressed coworker. Instead of telling that coworker she shouldn't be wearing sweats at work she would shower her with ocmpliments if she wore something nicer. o_O
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    "You're so....eccentric."

"It's neat how you don't care what anyone thinks of you."
  • Mine is of course this old favorite, "You have such a pretty face". That one never gets old...NOT.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    "It's neat how you don't care what anyone thinks of you."

Let's be fair. Anyone who says that to you, doesn't really know you at all. *hugs*
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    "You look good for your age." Ughhhh.

I don't know. I guess everyone is different. I would love to get a compliment like this.

Meaning, it shouldn't have a qualifier. You can stop with "You look good." When you add on "for your age" it sounds like "Wow you're really old, I can't believe you don't look as ugly as I expected." :laugh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    You're not nearly as big as you used to be.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member

And occasionally, "You're really feminine for a lesbian." <-- Taking a look at this one. These are from people who barely know me, who talk to me in class or school, and have no idea that I'm straight. They assume I'm a lesbian. It's like a doulbe-wammy and really insulting to actual lesbians.

I get this one and I AM a lesbian! So insulting!
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 237 Member
    "I always thought you were a b***h but you're actually really nice". Seriously?! Don't judge until you know me!!