Cups, tablespoons, etc. Question:

jvaughn1031
jvaughn1031 Posts: 38 Member
So I just came from weight watchers so forgive me but I'm already getting frustrated with how I can enter food. For example. Let's say I need to log in a chicken breast at 3 oz. It only gives me an option to enter a serving at 4oz. Is there a way I can adjust the portions?

Also this morning, I had a 1/4 cup of blueberries but there are only options for a cup.

One more example. Let's say I had a teaspoon of maple syrup. There are only options for a tablespoon.

Is there a way around all of this?

Replies

• Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    In the portion section for a 3 oz chicken breast measured at 4 oz in the database, put the serving as .75

1/4 c = .25 cups

1 tsp of syrup = .33 TBLSP

You can make the serving size any number you want. Same as if I ate 8 oz chicken breast, I would just put 2 as the serving.

ETA: whatever the serving size you are having divided by the database size equals the serving size you enter. 3 divided by 4 = .75
  • jvaughn1031
    Thank you. This is going to make me sound dumb but is there a Food converter somewhere? Math is not my strong suit. Once I have them in my head for a couple weeks, I'll be ok. I just want to make sure I'm not overeating or not eating enough. If there is one thing I learned from WW, portion sizes make a BIG difference.
  • jvaughn1031
    Nevermind. I think I have it. 100 (1 cup) divided by 4 is .25 for a 1/4 cup.
  • Chickee8586
    If you have a calculator on your phone or computer, you can do it that way. But if you are looking for say, how many teaspoons in a tablespoon type of converter, then...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=food+conversion+chart+for+measurements&id=946EC18914AA71850FBFC04E232EA02655101C07&FORM=IQFRBA
  • Chickee8586
    Also, if you are not weighing your food, you could be eating more than you think. A 1/4 cup may be a different serving size than an ounces or grams measurement of the same food.

I eat Bran Buds, if I went with a 1/3 cup of it, I would be eating more than the grams per serving amount. Even though the serving size on the box says both, 1/3 cup (30g), it doesn't exactly add up to both by just using a 1/3 cup serving. It's more like 35-40 grams.

Don't get overwhelmed, it's a learning process when you start. Once you get a handle on it, it will be a lot easier to log and measure.
  • jvaughn1031
    Great, Thanks so much for your help.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Nevermind. I think I have it. 100 (1 cup) divided by 4 is .25 for a 1/4 cup.

You're doing too much math here. If you want 1/4 cup, just divide 1 by 4. Example: 1 / 4 = .25

You always take the size you're eating and divide it by the serving size given on the label. So if you eat 3oz chicken and the serving size is 4oz, the math is 3 / 4 = .75

If you eat 5oz chicken, it would be 5 / 4 = 1.25

A lot of the entries allow you to change the measurement from a total number of grams or ounces to single grams or ounces. Those are always nice. Example: I use the USDA banana option because it allows me to enter the weight of my banana in grams without having to do any calculations.

(Edited for grammar)
  • jvaughn1031
    Ah. cool...I've got it now. Super easy :)
  • tildastwistedlife
    tildastwistedlife Posts: 85 Member
    I have an app on my phone called Convert which has been very helpful.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I wouldn't use measuring cup/spoons, they tend to be way off. Get a digital food scale and weigh your foods and only use a measuring cups for liquids. Weigh everything, condiments, peanut butter, fruit, pasta, single servings, meat, etc. etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    This is actually one of the reasons weighing may take people less time, even apart from the increased accuracy. The good entries generally have a 100 g option, so you weigh, get 45 grams, and just plug in 0.45. No calculations required. There are some exceptions for packaged items (say something is one serving for 28 grams) but then you either do 20 g (for example) divided by 28 or just try to hit the exact number. Much less need to convert units of measurement, which is a pain. I even typically weigh my meat in grams vs. ounces these days.
  • Chunkhotep
    Chunkhotep Posts: 16 Member
    I feel your pain jvaughn. I also came from WW and it was nice how they had so many foods with multiple measuring options: Cups, TBS, g, oz, lb, etc...

I've come across many food items here that are only in grams. Definitely have to do a lot more math, which in my opinion, may deter some from tracking all the time
  • jvaughn1031
    Yeah, but when you work full time or are out and about weighing is not always an option.
  • jvaughn1031
    Chunkhotep...seriously. That is my only complaint about this site. They should have more options for entering foods.
  • ElliTree
    ElliTree Posts: 23 Member
    You aren't ever gonna be 100% right, but you do the best you can.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    If you get the correct entries, they usually have a whole list of options,

For example carrots -raw gives you 12 size options. Dry ingredients like rice and quinoa give you 2 options (1 cup and 100g)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    You are always going to have to estimate some stuff. I usually use cups/tbsp/tsp for restaurant estimates, since I can eyeball better that way(my lunch places mostly have calorie counts), but when I pack food for work, like today, I weigh it when I prepare it.

I agree that the good entries typically have all sorts of options.
  • I just joined myfitnesspal yesterday, and maybe it's just me, but I find it easier to just add up the calories I'm eating and use the quick calorie entry option for each meal. It helps to keep me accountable as far as sticking to the actual serving size, too. Then in the daily notes I keep a record of what is was that I actually ate for reference. I know this won't be helpful for people trying to track all their specific nutrients, but seems easier for those who have their macronutrients pretty well down for meal/snack times. Best wishes to all!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Folks, if you haven't seen this, take 3 1/2 minutes and watch it. There is a reason to use and/or get a scale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

good luck everybody
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I just joined myfitnesspal yesterday, and maybe it's just me, but I find it easier to just add up the calories I'm eating and use the quick calorie entry option for each meal. It helps to keep me accountable as far as sticking to the actual serving size, too. Then in the daily notes I keep a record of what is was that I actually ate for reference. I know this won't be helpful for people trying to track all their specific nutrients, but seems easier for those who have their macronutrients pretty well down for meal/snack times. Best wishes to all!

Yes that works as far as calorie counting goes. But by using the quick add feature, you won't be able to see if your hitting your macros. For example, if I log Greek yogurt using quick add it puts in just 140 calories. But if I use the database, or barcode scanner, then I'll be able to see how much protein I'm getting from that yogurt and see how many carbs it was, and see there's no fat in it, and so on.