Can I donate blood to lose weight?

Replies

• Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    No, but I've had a LOT of success donating fat.
  • ackman2002
    ackman2002 Posts: 69 Member
    I suggest black market organ donation. You can lose weight AND get paid a ton of money, provided you wake up afterward.

Exactly. Two Lungs? Only need 1. Kidneys the same. Spleen and Appendix and Gall Bladder - not really needed.

Plus just think how much quicker you'd get buff if you only had one arm to worry about.

[Of course I'm joking about this, except as donations for those in need]
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Doesn't sound like you would be losing FAT though. Just water weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Well, you can donate blood once every 56 weeks, about 6 times a year.

¿Qué

that should say every 56 days.
  • HannahLynn91

I'm pretty sure there are only 52 weeks in a year. Maybe you meant days? Just clarifying.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

Your body doesn't burn fat directly. It has to be converted to usable energy and this energy must be carried to the parts of the body that do the actual work. Your blood isn't just water, it's made of living cells and carries rich nutrients and oxygen and this fat you're wanting to burn is right there in the blood readily available with carbohydrates and other sources of energy.

You can wait to burn the enemy troops on the battlefield or you can kill them in the train on the way there. The effect is the same.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Great idea! Be sure you donate 5 pints. That is 5 lbs of weight lost easy. :wink: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Best question of the day!!:noway:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I donate bodily fluids once a week to try and lose weight, but it only amounts an ounce each time on a good day. And then I'm sleepy afterwards anyway so my TDEE goes down.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    the body just regenerates the blood it lost so.....wouldn't you just gain the weight lost that same day?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

¿Qué

that should say every 56 days.

I just wanted in on the thread. I wasn't sure if I should tell the story about how me and buddy used to donate blood before we went drinking, when we were poor.
  • iandroid989
    iandroid989 Posts: 62 Member
    I wish I could help with this crazy experiment but.....they wont take my Blood !!!!! , I'm British living in the US and they refused my donation and said something about "Mad Cows"
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    OH, it's you.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    LOL.

Well, you can donate blood once every 56 weeks, about 6 times a year. So if you go regularly you might lose a pound or two per year. Good weight loss plan :drinker:

Oh, and don't forget to account for the cookies and juice they basically force down your throat afterwards!

56 weeks? 6 times a year? 52 weeks in a year...I'm confused.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    But they give cookies and juice after. Wouldn't you just gain it back? I hear if you have a limb amputated that you can lose a lot of weight super fast.

Sabotage!!!
  • HannahLynn91

Your body doesn't burn fat directly. It has to be converted to usable energy and this energy must be carried to the parts of the body that do the actual work. Your blood isn't just water, it's made of living cells and carries rich nutrients and oxygen and this fat you're wanting to burn is right there in the blood readily available with carbohydrates and other sources of energy.

You can wait to burn the enemy troops on the battlefield or you can kill them in the train on the way there. The effect is the same.

hmm. We learn something new everyday! Thanks for sharing :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    the body just regenerates the blood it lost so.....wouldn't you just gain the weight lost that same day?

Regenerates it from what?
  • holmed90
    holmed90 Posts: 21 Member
    :huh:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    DO IT!!!!

http://www.sott.net/article/262305-Why-donating-blood-is-good-for-your-health
    People burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood, according to the University of California, San Diego. A donor who regularly donates blood can lose a significant amount of weight, but it should not be thought of as a weight loss plan by any means.

I wonder if it lowers your blood pressure, ya know because you have less blood.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    The body creates 9 litres each day so it would only be temporary lol