First Time Playing WoW

xxghost
xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
Finally broke down and bought it yesterday. I guess I couldn't outrun it forever.
I've been watching Sword Art Online, and I'm in the mood for a fantasy MMORPG.

I played SW:TOR, but I'm still mostly clueless in this whole WoW thing.
Any pointers from veterans?

Replies

• lazydanthaman
    lazydanthaman Posts: 182 Member
    Best advice I can give...

runaway2.jpg
  • carisone
    carisone Posts: 31 Member
    Explore and enjoy the levelling. I played from vanilla and it has changed so much since then but it is still worth doing the quests and exploring the maps.
  • RoxyDisaster
    RoxyDisaster Posts: 112 Member
    Best advice I can give...

runaway2.jpg

Basicallly!!!!

jk i still have fun with it! =)
  • TheGirlWhoWaitedToRun
    TheGirlWhoWaitedToRun Posts: 15 Member
    Enjoy lvling and start pvp and dungeons when they become available to you (lvl 10 and 20 respectively). I played WoW for a few years and loved it.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Like t'was said before, explore and enjoy leveling - WoW is one of the few games I wish I could play for the first time again.

I've played off and on, and my be back "on" again in a few months when WoD comes out (with the huge cosmetic upgrade!)

Have fun!
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    Like others said level and dungeons. Explore get to know the maps. And I would find you a guild. Don't be afraid to leave a guild if it doesn't fit you it took me several tries to find the right guild for me. :) guilds usually help a lot when you are first starting out and offer to help if they are a social guild.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Try to make friends, if you can! Or put a party together if you know anyone who plays. It'll be a lot easier than PUGing it out every time you want to run an instance.

Find a good, small, sociable guild. Makes everything so much better.

Only roll what you want, and ignore anyone who *****es about your class. Everyone *****es about every class, it's unavoidable. You wanna be a night elf hunter? Do that thing.

Have fun and take tons of screenshots!
  • Alchemagician
    Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
    Have fun! I've been playing since Vanilla, and am still finding new things to do and enjoy. A good guild can help a lot; if you've got friends who play, start your own guild!

Wowhead is an invaluable resource. Add-ons and mods can be a lot of fun too- best ones I've found are over on Curse gaming's site.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    As people have said, find a nice friendly guild. Try and find one with all (or mostly) adults. A lot of the fun of WOW is just goofing off with your guildies.

I love raiding, so I would always recommend finding a raiding guild :) , but that's not everyone's thing. As you level, you'll figure out what you like doing. (dungeons?, pvp? just exploring and completing achievements?)

If you would like to find a guild you would eventually raid with, try looking up your server on www.wowprogress.com , and tell them you would just like to join as a social. Once you hit max, you can try joining a raid group.....
  • alodiaa
    alodiaa Posts: 22 Member
    Slightly off topic but SAO is SO DAMN GOOD. I love you on principle <3

I quit playing WoW when Pandaria was introduced (trust me it started out rubbish) but I'd say a guild is for sure the way to go, and raiding is amazing.

Find a race and class which appeals to you (or multiple) and get playing!
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member

I quit playing WoW when Pandaria was introduced (trust me it started out rubbish) but I'd say a guild is for sure the way to go, and raiding is amazing.

Alodiaa, what did you dislike about Pandaria? As far as story and zones go I really think they've outdone themselves with this expac. The only issue I have is them dropping new content patches too quickly and then going a whole year without new content.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Alodiaa, what did you dislike about Pandaria? As far as story and zones go I really think they've outdone themselves with this expac. The only issue I have is them dropping new content patches too quickly and then going a whole year without new content.

I personally dislike Pandaren lore - it's just a little to silly for me to take seriously? But I will freely, happily agree that the Pandaria zones are the most beautiful, impressive zones in the game. The whole area is breathtaking.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I never understood why people objected to Pandas.

Why are wolves (Worgen), bulls (Tauren) and Drenai (?) ok, but bears? NO!

Pandaria was a huge upgrade after the Cataclysm (Firelands and after, I mean. I loved the first tier of Cata).

Having Valor gear depend on finishing so man Dailies was an early problem, but they fixed that pretty quickly...
  • alodiaa

The lore was a little off for me, but the worlds were stunning. My biggest issue was (on the servers I played anyway) the influx of players and the sudden lack of updates. I found my servers crashing a lot and found the pandas a little gimmicky. I have since played on a friend's account and love what they've done with the whole game but for me it was ruined after BC, and I now don't want to be forking out money when it's not the game I knew and adored. Diablo 3 and MOBAs are now where it's at for me, but I can understand the appeal of WoW now with the updates, was just a huge letdown for me when it first came out.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member

The lore was a little off for me, but the worlds were stunning. My biggest issue was (on the servers I played anyway) the influx of players and the sudden lack of updates. I found my servers crashing a lot and found the pandas a little gimmicky. I have since played on a friend's account and love what they've done with the whole game but for me it was ruined after BC, and I now don't want to be forking out money when it's not the game I knew and adored. Diablo 3 and MOBAs are now where it's at for me, but I can understand the appeal of WoW now with the updates, was just a huge letdown for me when it first came out.

That's cool. Diablo 3 is fun. Have you tried Torchlight 2?
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Pandaria was a bust for me, felt too grindy somehow.

However I cannot freakin' wait for the xpac. I'm the only person I know ( of my friends who played ) who loves outland so I feel like this xpac was made for me :)
  • alodiaa
    That's cool. Diablo 3 is fun. Have you tried Torchlight 2?

I adore Torchlight :heart: TL2 was less fun (for me anyway) with the removal of gem transmuting as I'm a bit of a hoarder. Any grindy game and I'm pretty much sold.
  • Alchemagician
    Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
    Pandaria was a bust for me, felt too grindy somehow.

However I cannot freakin' wait for the xpac. I'm the only person I know ( of my friends who played ) who loves outland so I feel like this xpac was made for me :)

I freakin LOVED Outland, so I am really excited about this one, too! BC was my favorite Xpac and I've got high hopes for this next one.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    I cannot wait to see everything undestroyed even if it is all wonky alternative timeline!
  • Just take your time leveling and really explore the world :) Try to find a leveling guild, people tend to be nicer.