Jobless and fed up! Don't want it to affect my diet too.

Hi guys,
So yesterday was my fresh start and i ate well yesterday but today, day 2 i have already given in :( As the title says, i'm jobless and fed up and really don't want to use this as an excuse to emotional eat and gain even more than i already have. I HATE not working but left my job of 4 years for a job as an overseas rep which i found that working as an 18-30s rep wasn't for me sadly but that's another story. Desperatly looking for work now but while i'm not in work i want to take advantage of the spare time i have to exercise but when i'm feeling really down like today (had some bad news as well which didn't help) i end up in self pity and feel like eating makes it all better but in the long run it doesn't.
I really really want to get healthy now and back on track, not end up in that emotional eating rut so please, if anyone has any advice/inspirational stories or just any words of wisdom, please send them this way. Charlotte x

Replies

• Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Anybody?? ...No? :(
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Hi Charlotte, I'm just off a weekend of the blahs and ate what I wanted and now feel like I've lost good progress. But, it isn't true. I worked out yesterday and realized that it made me feel better in that 1 hour than I felt all last week and weekend. Keep going. Do what you know you need to do to reach your objective. Looking at your profile picture I'd say it's not too far off. Just focus on you and how you want to feel. Not how you want to compensate for how you're feeling at the moment.
  • Charloo1990
    That's really good advice, thanks Chikee, appreciate it :smile:
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Exercise releases endorphins which help elevate your mood. When you're down (or at least when I'm down) it's really hard to get out for that long walk or bike ride, or go to the gym, but once I force myself to get out and get moving, I find that I feel much more positive. Also, while walking or riding my bike I have a chance to do some serious thinking. In fact, my best thinking comes at those times. And the exercise "high" seems to last through the evening and at bedtime, when I am most susceptible to the blues, and I fall asleep quickly when I get into bed. And sometimes when I'm watching my favorite TV programs. :flowerforyou:
  • Charloo1990
    Thanks for the reply poohbah :) 100% starting exercise tomorrow. Was thinking about that just before I saw your reply lol but you're so right about the endorphins, I feel great when I work out so gunna force myself back into it and stick on a Jillian Michaels DVD tomorrow.
  • Hi guys,
    So yesterday was my fresh start and i ate well yesterday but today, day 2 i have already given in :( As the title says, i'm jobless and fed up and really don't want to use this as an excuse to emotional eat and gain even more than i already have. I HATE not working but left my job of 4 years for a job as an overseas rep which i found that working as an 18-30s rep wasn't for me sadly but that's another story. Desperatly looking for work now but while i'm not in work i want to take advantage of the spare time i have to exercise but when i'm feeling really down like today (had some bad news as well which didn't help) i end up in self pity and feel like eating makes it all better but in the long run it doesn't.
    I really really want to get healthy now and back on track, not end up in that emotional eating rut so please, if anyone has any advice/inspirational stories or just any words of wisdom, please send them this way. Charlotte x

I'm in the same boat. Here's my advice: Life gave you a lemon so turn it into lemonade. This is the perfect opportunity to get the ball rolling. It's harder when you've got the stress of a new job and a new lifestyle simultaneously. Take advantage of the situation and rock it!
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    I would kill to have time off so i could exercise. Take advantage of the situation!!! it's harder to fit in it when you're working/schooling full time! you may have to force it at first, but once you get into the groove, you'll be on your way!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Whether you want to or not, go exercise - it will make you a) feel like your on track, and b) feel better in general as exercise boosts good pheromones which make us happy :)
  • I have been looking for work for 4 months. The stress will kill you and add a ton of pounds. I just made the decision to utilize this time while unemployed to dedicate myself to gaining some good food and exercise habits. I have lost almost 30lbs doing so and now that I have a new job starting next week I have really good habits that will keep me on track so I can continue. I know how hard this time is for you right now. But try to see the silver lining. Start a training program, work on learning to cook tasty healthy food, and try to develop good habits that will stick when you move on to the next big thing. Keep your chin up and use this time to better yourself. Time to sit and dwell is not a good thing. Keep busy and improving your health is the best way possible. :flowerforyou:
  • Charloo1990
    Thanks for the replies, great advice and I vow that I am going to start exercise tomorrow and aim for 5 times a week. No more excuses. I may be jobless but being fit and healthy doesn't cost anything.

And well done girlytech, that's really inspired me :)
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I would kill to have time off so i could exercise. Take advantage of the situation!!! it's harder to fit in it when you're working/schooling full time! you may have to force it at first, but once you get into the groove, you'll be on your way!

Completely agree with this. Take advantage of the time for working out and cooking good food. Perfect opportunity!
  • gspero72
    gspero72 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi Charlotte,

That is quite the combo or I guess trifecta. Definitely could put you in a tough place, if you let it. A couple of my secrets:

1. Every morning when I wake up, I tell myself I'm going to have a great day. I know, sounds corny, but every day I have a great day.

2. I am careful how I word things like goals and desires. ie. I'm going to lose 5 pounds, I would say "i'm going to weight 5 pounds lighter.

3. Exercise, exercise, exercise. I take my dog for a walk every evening, brisk and long to point where I'm dragging him home! When I watch TV, I do sit-ups, plank crunches, etc. See how many I can do in a commercial break.

4. I avoid negative people. I want positive people, who support me and my goals (whether they agree with them or not).

i believe in the power of words, and that how the use those words affect our sub-conscious mind. Use positive words to frame your thinking, and you'll be surprised at the impact.

Good luck with your journey, I'm positive that it will work out in your favour. I log every day (even when I'm bad), and I track everything, so if you need a friend, you can add me!

Cheers,

Geo
  • Charloo1990

Completely agree with this. Take advantage of the time for working out and cooking good food. Perfect opportunity!

Am on it! :happy:
  • Charloo1990
    Hi Charlotte,

That is quite the combo or I guess trifecta. Definitely could put you in a tough place, if you let it. A couple of my secrets:

1. Every morning when I wake up, I tell myself I'm going to have a great day. I know, sounds corny, but every day I have a great day.

2. I am careful how I word things like goals and desires. ie. I'm going to lose 5 pounds, I would say "i'm going to weight 5 pounds lighter.

3. Exercise, exercise, exercise. I take my dog for a walk every evening, brisk and long to point where I'm dragging him home! When I watch TV, I do sit-ups, plank crunches, etc. See how many I can do in a commercial break.

4. I avoid negative people. I want positive people, who support me and my goals (whether they agree with them or not).

i believe in the power of words, and that how the use those words affect our sub-conscious mind. Use positive words to frame your thinking, and you'll be surprised at the impact.

Good luck with your journey, I'm positive that it will work out in your favour. I log every day (even when I'm bad), and I track everything, so if you need a friend, you can add me!

Cheers,

Geo

This is great advice and i'm going to take it on board, thankyou :) friend request also about to be sent your way :)
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    I'm out of a job as well. I had the same fear but managed to turn it around. I started biking in the beginning of May. With the increased amount of time on my hands, I managed 320 miles in May. I got absolutely hooked. I used the time to take long walks with my wife and kids. Check my diary for the details.

Take the negative and turn it into a positive.

To all of us here in this situation, good luck in finding that next job :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Stick to a good routine. Don't fall into the trap of getting parked on the sofa in front of the tv.

Set your alarm every day, get up work out, do a job search/fill in applications. Don't let one day merge into the next keep focused & good luck!

Adding! As you're in the UK OP most leisure centres do a reduced rate for the unemployed. Just a thought.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    hey Charlotte. welcome back on the wagon! i work from home and often during the night so im free all day - well i say free what i mean is single mum of 3 - same difference in my eyes lol. im not working a 9-5 or anything like that. i promised myself this year i would focus and quit quitting! by working on improving the person you are now... setting yourself goals for healthy eating and exercise you are gunna feel so much better about yourself, leaving that self pity at the door eventually! and you never know that new found confidence and pride in your *kitten* kicking abilities could shine in your future interviews. add me if you need some motivation good luck x
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Thanks for the reply poohbah :) 100% starting exercise tomorrow. Was thinking about that just before I saw your reply lol but you're so right about the endorphins, I feel great when I work out so gunna force myself back into it and stick on a Jillian Michaels DVD tomorrow.

Why put exercise off until tomorrow ? As you said you want to take advantage of that extra time you have....and there are still quite a few hours in this day.....:o).
    So why not start NOW ?
    Good Luck !

ETA: I just realized you are in the UK....so your day is almost over. But still, don't put off that exercise.....I know it's an easy thing to do if one is feeling low.
  • ghurl7
    ghurl7 Posts: 27 Member
    hi, i have been looking for job about 18 months total now, it is very very frustrating & difficult, butevery morning, i wake up and tell myself ....one choice at a time ... constructive action vs. destructive, trust vs. doubt, faith vs. fear .... so far, blv it or not, working out 2x/day helps me feel better ..... i do 10min. abs routine in the morning, then house chores, then a 30-45 min. abs+aero+yoga inthe evening ... as for job search, it has been 18 months of rejection, though this week, i have a pending interview with a job that i really have been aiming ... and i am aiming to get that job! ...... just make one better choice at a time ....