You will lose inches no weight

I keep hearing this! But it makes no sense to me! How can you lose inches if you not losing weight?!?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I'm not 100% sure, but it happens. I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it has to do with retaining and/or building lean body mass and losing fat. Losing weight doesn't equal losing fat. Weight lost is generally made up of fat, muscle, water and waste. I believe that when you work to lose as little lean body mass as possible (very small deficit along with strength training) and cut fat, the scale will move very slowly and sometimes not at all.

That's just my theory.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I'm not 100% sure, but it happens. I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it has to do with retaining and/or building lean body mass and losing fat. Losing weight doesn't equal losing fat. Weight lost is generally made up of fat, muscle, water and waste. I believe that when you work to lose as little lean body mass as possible (very small deficit along with strength training) and cut fat, the scale will move very slowly and sometimes not at all.

That's just my theory.

That's pretty much it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Muscle is denser than fat (that is, 1 lb of muscle takes up less volume than 1 lb of fat). So the scale can stay the same while you become a little more compact, and you "lose inches but no weight." Also, you may be losing fat in some spots while you build muscle in others, and depending on which spots you measure, that will tend to show disparate results on the scale and tape measure. And it's possible that if you're strengthening muscles in some areas, it may affect how much the fat parts "hang out," as it were, and how much of those fat parts are still in the spots that you're measuring (e.g., with stronger muscles, even you're relatively relaxed, it's a little like you're constantly "sucking your gut in.")

I didn't notice how long you've been at this and what exercise you're doing, so I don't know if it applies in your particular situation (building muscle is a slow process, especially for women).
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Its called body recomposition. You are eating at/near your daily allowance of calories with quality exercise. You'll lose some of the fat and gain some muscle. This method can be effective, just not the MOST effective way to slim down.

This is why I preach using the tape measure instead of scale. Who cares what you weigh if you can fit into a size X?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    At my heaviest (245lbs) I was a size 22/24W. I lost a majority of my weight (60lbs) while doing cardio but ended up only a size 18/20. Focused on weight training and even though the weight per the scale slowed and stalled, I am now a size 14. I'm coming close to being able to fit comfortably into 12s so yay :bigsmile:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Muscle is denser than fat. It takes up less volume (space) per pound. For example, I weigh 175 but have a lot of muscle so I look like I weigh 155 if you were to compare me to one of my friends who does weight 155. We look the about the same and wear the same size, but I weigh substantially more.

So if you are doing a workout program, and you will "lose inches" but not weight, what it means is that you are engaging in body recomposition. You are gaining muscle while losing body fat percentage, generally speaking. It's awesome because muscle will burn more calories while you are not exercising.
  • Zbeety
    Zbeety Posts: 2 Member
    Excellently explained :)
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    bump
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Personally .. I truly believe that there is too much emphasis here when it comes to losing lbs on the scale.

Losing inches are in my mind, a much better thing, I know I would much rather lose an inch than a lb.

Gaining muscle and losing fat .. is the most perfect thing ever.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com/ sometime.

Different people at the same height and weight can have a huge difference in waistline, bust, butt... We're not all cast from the same mold, we're not cut out like cookies. :)

I mean, take 5'3", 130lbs, within "Normal" BMI range. Some girls have visible abs, some have cellulite. Some have A cups, some have DD. If you do your squats, lunges, and deadlifts, you'll have a much different body than if you began training for long-distance running.
    (possibly nsfw link http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=160&age=30&weight=59&pantSize=any&shirtSize=any&bodytype=)
    This is why BMI is such a crock of creamy crap. The scale lies, pounds matter less than body fat percentage. Determine your body image goals and then you can meet them. If you don't know what you want to look like, you won't know what you'll need to do to get there.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Muscle is about 5 times as dense as fat. So if you lose a few pounds of fat and replace it with an equal amount (by weight) of muscle, you'll be smaller.
  • Mzcotton78
    Mzcotton78 Posts: 11
    This is happening to me right now. I lost a quick 11 pounds... and then all of a sudden the weight loss stopped but I was still getting smaller everyday. I didn't realize of course that I was still losing weight until I realized I could pull my once tight jeans all the way off now without unzipping or unbuttoning. Before I was completely discouraged because the scale wasn't moving even though I was dieting and exercising, only to find I was definitely still shrinking..... (I'd still like to see the scale go down though) :-(
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    This is because a pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat.

Weight the same, be smaller.

Google "muscle vs fat" to get some images... the difference is more than you'd expect!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Body recomps (where you lose a little bit of fat, gain a little bit of muscle, stay at the same weight but get smaller) are long, slow processes that only happen when you're eating around maintenence and doing some kind of resistance training. Seriously, they can take months to years to produce results.

When people usually say "you'll lose inches but not weight," they're talking about a short-term phenomenon you see while eating at a deficit. I honestly have no clue why, but while you're eating at a deficit, from week to week, you can lose inches, lose weight, both or neither. Over time, while you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose pounds and inches at a fairly consistent rate, but not if you're looking at very small periods of time (a few days to a few weeks). Over a short period of time, you can lose inches but not pounds because your body is a complex biological machine and doesn't respond to changes instantaneously.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I have the completely opposite problem - losing weight but not inches. Bodies are weird.