Can you build muscle with just bodyweight exercises?

I know that lifting heavy is the ideal for building muscle but can bodyweight exercises at home also increase muscle? Or does it just improve strength without increasing muscle mass?

Background: I am not eating at a deficit and I run three times a week. I don't want to lose any weight, but am interested to know whether I can increase muscle mass without lifting heavy.

Replies

• popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Yes. Any type of strength training can build muscle.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    If you have a progressive strength training program, you can certainly build muscle with only bodyweight exercises. Resistance is resistance. There are some members here on MFP that train almost exclusively with bodyweight exercises, Waldo being one of them.

You can also check out:

Frank Medrano
    Hannibal for King
    The guys and girls from Barstarzz

As some examples of people who train with bodyweight and calisthenics.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    to build muscle you need the following:

a calorie surplus
    a progressive load lifting program.

Bodyweight exercises esp if you can do them now will not build muscle even at a calorie surplus. You have to tax the muscle with a progressive load to build muscle, get in adequate protien to help repair the muscle after working them and eat above maitenance.

to build something you need excess materials (calorie surplus)

Esp as a woman...building muscle requires a lot of hard work and dedication.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    It will improve endurance.

To build muscle, you need constant/growing resistance as your muscles get stronger. This is called progressive overload. Bodyweight exercises (unless you're doing calisthenics) get easy too quickly, which means that your muscles aren't challenged for long, leading to no muscle gain.

Eating at a surplus (or at least at maintenance) is also needed to build muscle.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Check this guy out: http://youtu.be/Zk9jp9rJ3Ss
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    I just started my strenght training with using body weight only.
    I´ll exercise 3x a week strenght and 3x week cardio...
    I´ll continue doing this for 100 days and then I will look at the progress

For my part I can say... HELL NO IT´S NOT TOO LIGHT OR EASY FOR MY MUSCLES!
    I´m so bad in pain when I´m done... Can´t imagine that it will get a lot easier during my 100 day challenge....

Try and Error... That´s how those things work...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Check this guy out: http://youtu.be/Zk9jp9rJ3Ss

Well, this guy looks like he's having no problem doing it. :happy:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Yes, you can.

To build muscle you need progressive overload of muscles by means of resistance being applied to them. Your own bodyweight can provide that means of resistance. This is some obese people can experience muscular hypertrophy in their legs simply by walking more.

The problem is the "progressive" part. With barbells / dumbells that is fairly easy as you can whack some some weight on the bar. With bodyweight that becomes a little trickier.

If you want some decent bodyweight exercise then check out Ross Enamait's stuff.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Hi all,

Thanks for the good information and ideas. For now the bodyweight exercises I'm doing are challenging but we have also got some equipment at home like a pull-up bar that I can work with. The tip about calisthenics is a good one, thanks to those who mentioned it - gives me something to work with.

Cheers
  • nauner
    nauner Posts: 15 Member
    The Military has built many strong soldiers with just using bodyweight exercises.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    The Military has built many strong soldiers with just using bodyweight exercises.

strength <> muscle building

I am very strong (ex military) and have been doing heavy lifting for 9 months but I have not built any muscle in those 9 months...
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Sparta comes to mind, as well.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    You can add progression with bodyweight by adding ankle weights, weighted vests, and sandbags. bodyrock.tv is another example of this. Love the Barstarzz guys too. Makes me wish I was light enough to bust out even one good pull up lol.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Does airbrushing count as muscle building? :wink:
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Yes, you can.

To build muscle you need progressive overload of muscles by means of resistance being applied to them. Your own bodyweight can provide that means of resistance. This is some obese people can experience muscular hypertrophy in their legs simply by walking more.

The problem is the "progressive" part. With barbells / dumbells that is fairly easy as you can whack some some weight on the bar. With bodyweight that becomes a little trickier.

If you want some decent bodyweight exercise then check out Ross Enamait's stuff.

I'll 2nd Ross Enamait as well. Should of including him, in my 1st post on this thread. The man knows his bodyweight exercises, and minimalist training. I have and read several of his books. Never Gymless is a good one.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Indeed, however that's a very functional size and strengththat's developed. One doesn't want to be excessively bulky as it has little purpose on operations.

Essentially yes one can build both strength and size using progressive bodyweight training, but it's a slow process.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member

Does airbrushing count as muscle building? :wink:
    Shoulda put a disclaimer about that movie. :laugh:
    One of my professors explained how the ancient philosophers understood the connection between healthy body - healthy mind and described Plato or Aristotle as Hawking in Hulk Hogan's body (it was awhile ago obviously).
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Also - Al Kavadlo. Google the name and you will come to his website with loads of tips and programs.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member

Indeed, however that's a very functional size and strengththat's developed. One doesn't want to be excessively bulky as it has little purpose on operations.

Essentially yes one can build both strength and size using progressive bodyweight training, but it's a slow process.

Because adding a barbell makes it quick.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Yes.

As long as you are doing the right exercises on a progressive schedule, getting enough food and getting enough rest/recovery and sleep.

Same as with barbell work. Or kettlebell work. Or dumbbell work. Or sandbag work....