Yoga seen as "Un-Manly"

Replies

• leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    I am an Indian and thank you for this post.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    If you are anything like a male gymnast or ballet dancer - who cares what the guys think- you guys are hot!!
    Jealousy is a curse....

Yep. I don't do yoga. But I do practice gymnastics. Many moves do cross over, though. For instance, when I fail to do a planche, it's like an upside down corpse pose. ;)

- but when you succeed in doing a planch, its a yoga Peacock.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Next up....
    ' Flower arranging seen as "Un-Manly" '

As you suggest, OP, Yoga is seen as "a predominantly female discipline" most probably because predominantly women do it.

Seems reasonable to me. ;)

Hasn't stopped me doing it* and wouldn't mind doing more as could do with being a bit more flexible for climbing.
    (Yoga, I haven't done flower arranging, though as it goes have thought in the past it could be a useful skill to have when trying to woo a lady :P)

To sound horribly feministi - perhaps if you were less worried by gender stereotypes, it wouldn't be an issue?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Only by folks who don't know what they are talking about aye?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    If you are anything like a male gymnast or ballet dancer - who cares what the guys think- you guys are hot!!
    Jealousy is a curse....

Yep. I don't do yoga. But I do practice gymnastics. Many moves do cross over, though. For instance, when I fail to do a planche, it's like an upside down corpse pose. ;)

- but when you succeed in doing a planch, its a yoga Peacock.

Thanks. I spent ages trying to find out what the yoga name was!

Looking at images, it does appear the planche is different to the peacock. In gymnastics, that is the elbow lever. Elbow levers are about technique (balance). Planches are strength. (Gymnastics moves are divided into technique and strength, whilst there is obviously some technique and some strength in every move, they can easily be categorised as some are obviously more about having the body in the right position whilst others require a good degree of brute force!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planche_(exercise)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Yes - looking at the Wikipedia pic, the planch is more extended in the arm, whereas the yoga Peacock has the elbows firmly pressing into the solar plexus as a fulcrum. Either is pretty damned impressive, whether your Yoga is Manly or Womanly!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Yep. I have indeed smashed my face into the ground whilst attempting a Peacock. :laugh:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Who see's yoga as unmanly?

And if they hold such stupid views, why pay any attention to them?
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Why do you care what people think of you? In 100 years, no one will know you existed, or the person who judged you existed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I've tried both yoga and pilates and while they were challenging and I could see the benefit (my lower back is a mess which is why I'm prepared to try anything whether "manly" or not) they just didn't click for me. I would be one of those things I would force myself to do rather than enjoy doing.

Fortunately I found core work on the gym ball was the key to managing my condition, that's probably not as manly as sit-ups either!

Naked yoga sounds interesting - I've got some old friends I'd like to look up....
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    There's nothing more alpha than not caring what other people think.
    My entire immediate family practices yoga, this includes my son (17) and daughter.
    We also lift heavy (for each of us) and could give a rat's @ss what anyone thinks :laugh:

As no one has probably said before...'Engage your bandhas and party on Garth' :drinker:

edited for typos
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

And you don't HAVE to wear Yoga pants if you don't want to...

???? Yoga in the nude? LOL JOKING!!!!

Nude yoga is actually a thing. I kid you not. :noway:

that's called sex silly!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    bumpity
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Before I take any fitness advice from you of any kind...

...I need to know if you're in better shape than I am.

What's your best 5k time?
    What's your deadlift 1RM?
    Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?
    Any relevant fitness-related medical problems I should know about?

I can run a 5k- i had back surgery and can't run without severe pain
    Dead lifts are out for the same reason
    My total cholesterol is around 240
    My BP is 120/70 on the average
    I have chronic back pain 24/7- how's that for a medial problem?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape . I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.

That's a cute little example of revisionist history there. How long did was one expected to follow that thread to get to the back pedaling?

So what you're saying is that if a person is in great shape you WILL follow whatever unpracticed, misinformed, broscience type advice that they spew?
  • Aaron Rogers has been doing yoga in the off season to improve his flexibility and drop some weight. And as much as I can't stand him, I don't think he's unmanly.

In fact, football players have been doing things like aerobics, dance, and yoga for years to improve flexibility, stamina, and their footwork for years. The Cowboys are currently using a barre for stretching exercises.

Whatever works and keeps you healthy...do your thing!

the-most-signature-tom-brady-gifs-the-high-five-fails-are-just-priceless-1.gif
  • YogaJim108
    YogaJim108 Posts: 30 Member
    I practice and teach yoga, and I am a man. That is all.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape. I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.
    It doesn't surprise me one bit that there was only a list of physical features up there...

Sorry what now?
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member

Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape . I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.

That's a cute little example of revisionist history there. How long did was one expected to follow that thread to get to the back pedaling?

So what you're saying is that if a person is in great shape you WILL follow whatever unpracticed, misinformed, broscience type advice that they spew?

You seem like the kind of guy that says what's on his mind. I'm the same way. And yes, I would be more inclined to take fitness advice from someone in much better shape than me. It means they know their stuff. but I'm going weigh said advice against what I know. Its not my fault people misinterpret what I wrote and get offended. Reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. People say its common core, I blame the internets. I don't back pedal. I stand by what I posted. If people feel it was aimed at them, they probably believe the government is watching them too or space aliens are waiting to abduct them too.

And what is Broscience anyway?
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    I've tried both yoga and pilates and while they were challenging and I could see the benefit (my lower back is a mess which is why I'm prepared to try anything whether "manly" or not) they just didn't click for me. I would be one of those things I would force myself to do rather than enjoy doing.

Fortunately I found core work on the gym ball was the key to managing my condition, that's probably not as manly as sit-ups either!

Naked yoga sounds interesting - I've got some old friends I'd like to look up....

I've had lower back problems for most of my life. Core excercises help in so many ways and yoga has a lot of them. If you add a kettle bell or medicine ball to a lot of the poses- it can feel more like regular excercise and combat boredom because you don't have to maintain the pose as long.

And naked Yoga is awesome...