what the hell is 2 ounces in slices of meat?

Replies

• In another lifetime (that is how long ago it was), I worked at a deli. 16 slices of American Cheese is 1 pound, and it continues like that for full size slices. (Stick bologna, salami are an exception because they are smaller.)

But if you slice 8 thin slices of have, you have 1/2 lb. Roast beef is a little heavier and you get about a pound in 12 slices.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yah its boards head thin sliced cooked ham and cracked pepper mill turkey.

i put 2 slices of each.- 4 slices of meat total.
    boars- sorry

and i got 1/2 pd of each.

if you got a 1/2 lb of each- why did you not just do a conversion?

1/2 lb = 7.9999999 ounces.
  • Indira1017
    Indira1017 Posts: 8 Member
    I have been asking myself the same question.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    I think in general, a good rule of thumb is one piece of meat is equal to one ounce. Then again, depending on how big the pieces are. If they are the really small and thin pieces it could be more like four pieces.
  • spaduke
    spaduke Posts: 13
    i always wondered also, but I just bought a 1/2 pound of low salt ham...there is 16 oz in a pound so this is 8 oz of meat, there is approx. about 16 slices of ham in this half pound so I would say 2 slices is about an oz...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I asked a deli person that question today she said one thin slice was about 2oz but I have no clue if that's right.

they have a scale back there- ask her to weigh the bread and the meat separately- everything else is fudgeable with minimal consequences.

man- didn't realize this was a necro thread and I already commented.

LOL.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    i just made a cold cut sandwich, got the meat from the deli so it doesnt have nutrition info on it, so i look it up in the database and i found it or something close to eat but a serv. size is 2 ounces. what does that equal in slice terms?

i had 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of turkey.

This is why I have a food scale
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    In my experience, 1 slice = 1 oz. If you're going back and forth between logging 2 oz or 4 oz, I'd go ahead and log 4 to be safe.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    I asked a deli person that question today she said one thin slice was about 2oz but I have no clue if that's right.

they have a scale back there- ask her to weigh the bread and the meat separately- everything else is fudgeable with minimal consequences.

man- didn't realize this was a necro thread and I already commented.

LOL.

UGH I didn't notice either!!! :explode: :explode:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Without reading the entire thread

Buy a food scale./
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Like everyone has said get a scale.
    Also you have a 1/2 lb of meat....count slices then... divide 1/2 lb by count slice = Oz per slice
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm pretty sure an oz of meat weighs and oz of meat!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    It depends on the thickness of the slices. I assume you have already eaten it and can't weigh the slices. *edited to add - I would say so since this thread is 3 years old.

Looks like you will just have to make an educated guess on this one. If it was thin sliced, I would say all 4 slices was around 2 ounces.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    You definitely need a food scale to know for sure. If you don't have one, look at how many ounces are in a package and eyeball what percentage you took out. This will not be accurate, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    look at the serving size on the back for the "Daily Percentages". that is a good place to start. usually tells you how many oz's are in each serving. and in parentheticals , how many slices.
  • lasombrs
    lasombrs Posts: 30
    I have a food scale at home so i weight it. It will always vary based on how thick or thin you have it sliced. Best way to guess without a food scale how much did the total package weigh and count the slices inside. Then divide and get your per slice weight (1 lb, 16 slices? 1 oz each for example)
  • moviebuffking
    moviebuffking Posts: 1 Member
    I buy ham at Winco and I determined it to be 1 slice = 1 oz.

1/2 lb = 8 slices. So, 2oz = 2 slices. Keep in mind, these slices are medium thickness.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I hope after 6 years she's worked it out :D
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    How much does a slice of braaaiiiinnnssss weigh?