Healthy Traveling - Festivals & Camping, ideas & help

Hi All! I just hit over 160 days tracking on MFP and not planning on stopping anytime soon. I feel great... I have lost 14 lbs since I started (and looking to lose about 10 more although it's taking forever). Next week I am heading to a music festival for 4 days and will of course be thrown off my normal schedule that allows me to fit in my workouts and healthy meals without too much effort. I am looking forward to the time off from work, relaxing, and listening to some great music. I will not be doing my workouts because I will be walking around a lot and it's just not practical. I am hoping for some of your tips and suggestions as far as staying on track otherwise. I will of course be drinking & eating out of the norm but hoping to keep things under control. I tend to allow myself some room for treats on the weekend with eating out at restaurants and going to bars, and I dont want to treat this as a full on cheat vacation....

So far I made a list for food shopping so I can have some healthier options for meals and snacks - bagel thins, pb, bananas, apples, 100 cal packs of almonds, rice cakes, veggie burgers, wheat wraps/pitas, boom chicka pop, quest bars

Just looking for any suggestions for food to bring or other tips to stay on track while thrown off of your normal schedule. TIA!

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Protein bars/protein powder are convenient and will keep you full longer so I would plan on keeping those quest bars close by. The snacks you picked look like they will do the job. I suggest lots of water, your body can mistake thirsty for hungry, especially if you are going to be drinking. I think they suggest 1 glass of water for every glass of alcohol. I'd even up that if you are going to be in the heat.

When eating out, try to pick foods with more protein or fiber to keep you full longer. A hot dog instead of kettle corn type of thing. Pick food that you will still enjoy but will keep you satisfied longer so you aren't going back for more quickly. Those festival foods can get expensive fast.

I went to a convention for 4 days on Memorial Day weekend. I ate out all my meals and drank alcohol with sugary juices every night. Seriously the only healthy thing I had the entire weekend was 1 quest bar and 1 pear. I walked a bunch though and when all was said and done, I gained 1.5lbs. That's it. I could have easily had a healthy breakfast and snacks all day and kept the eating out to smaller portions while picking diet options for the mixers in my alcohol and I probably wouldn't have seen a gain. However, I didn't really care, wanted to really enjoy myself and was frankly lazy. So it's easy to keep your weight the same and enjoy yourself, especially if you are getting extra cardio in. Just be prepared for the extra water retention that will stick around for a few days.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    great suggestions - thank you! the group I am with is all about saving $$ and eating at our camp site as much as possible which will be helpful. the tricky part will be resisting the doritos and late night grilled cheese and opting for something else. I am pretty good at never traveling around without snacks so hoping to always sneak in a quest bar or almonds into the festival each day... I am hoping all of the walking back and forth will help too
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    When I'm trying to eat healthfully on the go, I always cut up and bag some fresh veggies to take with me. It seems like you'll have some kind of refrigeration (for the veggie burgers) so this may work for you too! Cauliflower and snap peas hold up to travel really well. I usually also take cucumber, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes. Cut it all up before you go so it's easy access while you're away.

P.S. I sneak veggies into movie theaters too!
  • kelliehaley
    kelliehaley Posts: 9 Member
    When I'm trying to eat healthfully on the go, I always cut up and bag some fresh veggies to take with me. It seems like you'll have some kind of refrigeration (for the veggie burgers) so this may work for you too! Cauliflower and snap peas hold up to travel really well. I usually also take cucumber, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes. Cut it all up before you go so it's easy access while you're away.

^^ YES^^ I always have hummus with me, too.

Enjoy the festival!
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    I too will be at a festival next week, Telluride Bluegrass. Only doing two days and we are hotelling it. Snacks and lots of water
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    love sugar snap peas - great idea!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    It sounds like everyone in your group is interested in cooking at the campsite. Are they all health conscious as well? You guys could all choose one day that you will be there and each bring the main course food for that day. When we camp I always do chicken. It might just be chicken breasts in marinade (put the chicken and marinade in a bag and freeze it, then stick it in the cooler- when it thaws the chicken marinades) on the grill or I might chunk it and make kebabs with veggies. Take peppers, onions, and squash and grill them up. Even small potato chunked up cook fairly quickly on a grill.

Most regular breakfast items are pretty easily packed.

Bars, nuts, veggies, and cheese would all be options to carry with you during the day.

Try to do as much prep ahead of time as you can and bring lots and lots of water!!

Have fun!