Son wants Mandarin Chinese Buffet for his Bday

2»

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Take your own food. I do. I took a purse full of oranges and grapes and apple slices to a BBQ cook off - and a serving of vegan burger patty. Also - begin to speak up when people are choosing things that are difficult for you - seriously! your child (or man? even more so) can eat mandarin anytime - how many more meals does he want with his Mom?

If the above advice works for you, cool - my goal, though, was to lose weight by making new habits that I could sustain forever so that I could life a healthier, happier life. My healthy, happy life includes indulging on occasion, and it definitely includes letting my son choose where to go for a birthday dinner and not guilt tripping him and teaching him to associate food with shame. My method worked for me - 133 pounds down, and I've been maintaining my loss for almost two years. And I've never once brought my own food into a restaurant. I'm living the healthiest life I can *enjoy* and I gotta say...it's pretty damn great.

OP, your plan sounds absolutely solid and what I'd do myself too if I were sticking to my calorie goal. You will have these events for the rest of your life, and learning how to navigate them is part of learning to lose weight and live a healthier life. Fit people occasionally eat at a Mandarin buffet; things even out.

One thing...your sodium will be off the charts so please, I'm begging you! Don't weigh in for a few days after this birthday dinner. I don't want you to think you gained weight and regret celebrating with your son. It will be water retention!
  • Chunkhotep
    Chunkhotep Posts: 16 Member
    What Shannon said! Perfect!

:smile:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Cut up your food into really small pieces and then use chopsticks to eat it. Also lift before. Get those calories going to building muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Personally I'd just go have fun...get out of the minutia of the day to day and start taking a broader look at your overall diet. One day is just that...it's one day of many days. None of us became fat because of someone's birthday or a holiday or a vacation, or whatever...we became fat because we treated every single day like it was a special occasion.

I had a massive pit BBQ over the weekends with loads of ribs, slow smoked brisket, pulled pork, all the sides, and kegs of beer...It was awesome and I had a great time...then I woke up the next morning and did my regular nutrition and fitness thing like I do...it's all good.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    This is fine. Celebrate and eat!

Realize that you're going to have to deal with events like this for the rest of your life. You must incorporate them into your daily and weekly calorie goals to be successful long term.

Can't agree with this more. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Go and enjoy yourself...just don't eat until you want to burst and you will be fine. Just make sure to try and hit your weekly targets.

Yes and yes.

I'm planning on taking my mom to Mandarin for her 86th birthday next month just because she loves it. I also plan on having a bit of this and that, but not eating until I'm stuffed. Key is to indulge without overdoing it. Balance and moderation. :smile:
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Personally I'd just go have fun...get out of the minutia of the day to day and start taking a broader look at your overall diet. One day is just that...it's one day of many days. None of us became fat because of someone's birthday or a holiday or a vacation, or whatever...we became fat because we treated every single day like it was a special occasion.

+1
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Take your own food. I do. I took a purse full of oranges and grapes and apple slices to a BBQ cook off - and a serving of vegan burger patty. Also - begin to speak up when people are choosing things that are difficult for you - seriously! your child (or man? even more so) can eat mandarin anytime - how many more meals does he want with his Mom?

As a few weeks have progressed into months and years, I am really aware that 1) never give up spreading the message or at least awareness to others that there are alternates to the "provided" fare and you have opted out of mainstream choices. 2) that I can never assume people will act in my best interests no matter who they are - it is very difficult for most to comprehend the fact that a weight loss lifestyle needs to become a habit, and habit require repetition, consistently. 3) that you are worth it - the altered plans, the slight inconveniences - you are worth it.
    Buffets aren't the devil and they aren't going to put OP in her grave. It's a novelty, a delicious spread that can be healthy if you make the right choices. Speak up for what? You make a healthy lifestyle sound like martyrdom.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    You can always eat less the rest of the day in order to save some additional calories for the buffet. It's easy to overdo it if you eat normally the rest of the day and then try to fit a Chinese buffet into a normal sized dinner, but if you eat sparingly the rest of the day and perhaps do some cardio, you can likely eat a big meal at the buffet and fit it into your calories. Find a way to eat what you like to eat and have fun.

personally, having tried it this way and also eating normally for the rest of the day........... being hungry is far more likely to lead to overindulgence than not being hungry.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Thank you, a very timely post as my daughter's birthday is coming up soon and that is her favourite place to eat. I wasn't sure how to handle it either. One day out of the year won't ruin my progress - probably just give me a stomach ache. Enjoy your celebration and the next day just pick up where you left off.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    I just wanted to update that although I was up half a pound this morning I didnt blow up overnight lol. I made healthy choices that I am proud of and now know that I have made the big step into understanding that I can go out an enjoy, I dont have to eat everything and anything, that you need to be able to deal with life's events and although you dont have to throw your new way of eating out the window you can certainly enjoy yourself once in a while. Today is a new day and back on track. No stress. Thanks for everyones wisdom
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Mandarin is awesome. I miss being in Toronto.
    I would say eat something satisfying before you go. Like a Greek yogurt and protein bar or handful of nuts. It'll be easier to pass on the creme brulee then.
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    mmm...Mandarin

When I go, I drink water, and fill my plate with veggies and lean protein (seafood!). I skip the rices, noodles, etc. Empty carbs.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Eat lots of veggies and if you want fried foods just limit yourself to small portions. Also their soups are pretty yummy!