Frustrated with activity level

I would love to be more active but I work a desk job 50 hours a week!!! I work out 60 minutes 5 days a week and am active on the weekends. I don't see myself as a sedentary person and would like to lose more than a pound a week. Am I fooling myself?

Edit: I am a 24 year old female with 21 lbs to lose.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    well to be able to tell you anything besides "maybe," first we need to know some statistics, such as age, how much you have to lose, etc. If you have less than 75 pounds to lose then, while losing more than 1 pound a week is technically *possible,* it's ill-advised. We need more information to be able to give you better answers,.

BTW, hi, I'm (originally) from Bellingham as well :)
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    OP I have a desk job but I consider myself lightly active as I work out every single day and run around a lot with my kiddo. I would mark yourself lightly active at the minimum
  • Depends on how much you have to lose really.

Read this, its eye opening:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1318741-in-5-weeks-you-ll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    I would love to be more active but I work a desk job 50 hours a week!!! I work out 60 minutes 5 days a week and am active on the weekends. I don't see myself as a sedentary person and would like to lose more than a pound a week. Am I fooling myself?

Losing weight is 80% diet. if you can safely lose more, it usually comes down to what you are eating. Having said that, slow and steady weight loss is more likely to stay off longer and will be easier to maintain. What's the rush?
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Hi!! I love Bellingham so much!!! I am a 24 year old female with about 21 lbs to lose.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Are you referring mostly to the MFP activity level setting? If so, it sounds like you're getting hung up on the word "sedentary." I consider myself pretty active, but for accuracy (and because I do work a desk job), I put myself on the "sedentary" setting and log most of my activity--walking more than 10 minutes, commuting by bike, formal exercise--as exercise. My activity level varies a ton from week to week, so the vague "lightly active" makes me nervous. Easier to just start at zero and add everything else as extra!
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Are you referring mostly to the MFP activity level setting? If so, it sounds like you're getting hung up on the word "sedentary." I consider myself pretty active, but for accuracy (and because I do work a desk job), I put myself on the "sedentary" setting and log most of my activity--walking more than 10 minutes, commuting by bike, formal exercise--as exercise. My activity level varies a ton from week to week, so the vague "lightly active" makes me nervous. Easier to just start at zero and add everything else as extra!

Great idea, thank you!!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    You sound like you are at least Lightly Active. If all you do is sit on your bum 24 hours a day / 7 days a week except to go to the bathroom or to the kitchen then sure you are sedentary. Most people though are light active or above (when using mfp settings)