Can I lose 35 lbs in 10 weeks?

2»

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Honestly I wouldn't do anything with potentially long term health risks for a little bit of cash and some bragging rights. Lots of links between rapid weight loss and heart issues so it seems like playing with fire to me. I would just eat healthy and exercise and shoot for the bigger prize of living a longer healthier life.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    I've been losing almost that fast, kind of by accident (I set myself at 1400 kcal/day and "lightly active", MFP thinks I ought to be losing less than 2lb/week, so I'm thinking my activity level is set wrong as I average slightly less than 3lbs/week). I'm at a sustainable caloric intake and don't have any issues with nutrients or hunger so long as I'm careful, and the nice thing is I haven't had to readjust it lower as I lose (in fact, I have been considering setting it higher), but I'm also considerably younger than you are and that makes it much safer, and I'm still not losing as much as you would like to. I'd aim for slower weight loss, especially if you're not up for strength training to make sure you don't lose too much muscle mass.

(I'm also still officially "obese" after losing 22.7 lbs, though you probably wouldn't think that to look at me.)
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    But despite your rapid loss, you say you are losing a little under 3 pounds per week. To increase that to 3.5 per week you would have to do everything you are doing now PLUS AN EXTRA 300-400 calories per day deficit. Losing 3.5 pounds per week is just not a good, sustainable idea.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    It is a big challenge and I'm sure you will be able to make a substantial change in 10 weeks- - if not achieve your goal.

I am also 51/F with lots to lose. As someone said, the first weeks you will see a big difference, it does slow down, but don't get discouraged. The pounds come off if you keep at it and you will see a difference in how your clothes fit. I don't have a deadline, but I am busting everyday to get down to a healthier weight. I also have a sedentary job.

So, some ideas I am doing that might be helpful.

1. Get up early! Before work every day get in at least 30 mins. of Cardio. Cardio, Cardio. Also, I you might try Jillian Michaels 30 days Shred if I can't get to the gym or run outside. Move! don't just phone it in.
    2. Don't snack at your desk. When you have an urge to eat - drink water instead. Any kind of non-calorie beverage, bubbles, plain, zero calorie flavored water. Also Coffees, teas. Green tea, English tea, Jasmine tea. Make it a fun project to try a new tea every day. Avoid the lattes, tho.
    3. At your lunch break - take a short brisk walk. 15-20 minutes.
    4. Evenings/AM - Weight lifting. In particular, start with squats. You can start off without any weight. Just do them with good form to start. There are some other threads that cover starting weight lifting, read them, read the links. There is a ton of great advice on here.
    5. Plan your meals in advance, especially dinner. That also includes any food you will bring to work.
    6. Log everything in your food journal.
    7. Go to bed early. That helps with number 1 and also reduces the late night munchies.

Good luck and keep in touch with people who are supporting your efforts.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    It's possible. But you'll have to carefully maintain your calories and exercise 5-6 days a week.

Each pound is an additional 3,500 burned calories. So you're looking at 122,500 EXTRA calories you have to burn. Which translates to about 1800 a day.

Work hard, and you can totally hit your goal.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    It would be pretty difficult! I eat around 1400 cals a day and work out 6 days a week for a minimum of an hour and it took me 6.5 months to lose 35 pounds.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    I will check these out. I know I need to get moving. I can definitely start walking, and any other ides for beginners would be welcome.

Walking is your best friend. Also, can you take the stairs at work? Instead of using the elevator take the stairs 2 floors? I'm working my way up to taking the stairs to my office on the 18th floor.
  • MommaRou56
    MommaRou56 Posts: 68 Member
    That's an awfully aggressive goal. How is this competition being scored? Is it on total weight loss or on total body fat percentage loss per person? It seems the latter would be more fair than the former, but I'm not in on the competition rules. And if you were to lose that much that quickly, you would likely lose muscle -- not good -- and not really learn enough to keep it off. The better option would be to just use this competition as an incentive to give you a "kick start" and keep losing steadily -- 1 to 1.5 lbs. per week -- and look at a long-term goal, not just 10 weeks down the road. If you think about it, if you lose 1 lb. a week, at the end of the year, that's 52 lbs. And if you maintain a 1.5 lb. loss a week, that's 78 lbs And slow, steady weight loss is more likely to be long-term, permanent loss with a change in lifestyle, etc. Just don't worry about winning the competition. The true competition is within yourself where you CAN be the winner!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    All I can do is smh. What a horrible idea for a little $$

Not only do you risk damage to your heart but you also greatly increase your risk of osteoporosis and hormone imbalance. Then you add the chance of hair loss, brittle nails, no energy, binging, non-ending grumpiness, headaches, light headedness.....
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I think this is pretty drastic, and dangerous. I don't think the competition you're involved in is a good idea. You'd have to practically starve yourself to lose that much in so little time.

Remember how Karen Carpenter died?
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    As others have said, it may be doable to lose that much weight in that time, but what would be the real cost? Even if you win the competition, you will lose your health, which is far more valuable to you. Lose the weight, but please don't lose your health. When you look back in a few years, after losing all your weight slowly, in a healthy way and keeping it off, you will realize that is your real victory.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    No. 1-2 pounds a week is all the more you should hope to lose healthily and sustainably.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Yes you can. I started on January 31st and down 55 pounds. Most of the weight lost was the first 3 months. I started at 235
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    3.5 pounds a week is a lot a week. It might be ok/doable for the first week or two as you lose water weight. But after that, it's not really sustainable, and to achieve it would likely require resorting to unhealthy methods. Watch your intake, eat at a deficit and do some sort of movement. It will be slow, it won't likely be 35 pounds in 10 weeks, but it will be worth it.

^^ this completely. but if you try your best and be healthy about it, you might be surprised. I was healthy and really careful about my weight loss, eating at LEAST 1200 calories, worked out a lot and ended up losing 65lbs since January.
    I think part of the reason I lost so easily though is because I started my new healthy eating lifestyle the day my daughter was born, I think I confused my body a little while it was in the process of my body going through so much healing and physical changes.
    I went from eating 2400+ calories to eating 1200, it's a big change.
    Good luck! losing it slowly will give you the time to develop healthier habits and it will help you keep it off in the future :smile:
  • dectra
    dectra Posts: 3 Member
    Can you? Yup

Question is....will you.

Do you have the will to exercise (even moderately) and pay attention to your portion size and what you eat? That's what decides the answer.

Best of luck; and remember You CAN do it......
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    I started out somewhere in the neighborhood of where you are. It took me 11 months to lose 35 pounds and 2.5 years to lose the 80 you say you want to lose. On the plus side, I've kept myself in a healthy weight range for the past 6 years. The most I ever lost in a month was 6 pounds (and that was REALLY HARD) and the biggest loss I was able to sustain was 3 pounds a month.

My goal was always my optimum health, and I was interested in weight loss that lasts. Drastic weight loss tends to boomerang, and I have to live in this body for the rest of my life.

So begin this for YOU, not the contest. Do it because you're willing to work hard to live in the body you want to live in.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Is it possible to lose 35 pounds in 10 weeks? I am in a competition for $$ and would love to accomplish this.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance for your help!! can
    The bold bit is what worries me. So do you want to do this for yourself or just for the money? The thing is you've been a member since April 2013 so why have you not lost the weight already? Was your health and well being not a great motivator but money is?

From what I've seen most people who lose weight in these competitions end up putting the weight back on. So what is your goal short term weightloss or lifelong health? Yes you could lose that amount of weight in that amount of time just because of the amount you have to lose. It will take work consistency which you've not managed since April last year and maybe you will find that but take a look at the reasons you're doing this and why you've not achieved this before. Don't lose weight for some short term financial reward lose weight and keep it for yourself and health so your family can have you around longer.

Good luck