I have a skinny boyfriend

I am 216 pounds at 5'6". My amazing other half is 145 pounds at 5'5".
Sometimes I feel myself being completely uncomfortable with this.
I love my boyfriend more than ANYTHING. He has always been there to support me and will love me no matter what size I am at.
I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue... and do you have a problem with it.
I know all of this is probably just in my head but I feel huge next to him and I find myself being totally self conscious of this in public..... HELP!

Replies

• paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    I am 5"6' 180 pounds now and my boyfriend is 6"2' 145 pounds so yes I know the feeling! He doesn't care how much I weigh but due to gender roles I am always feeling inadequate. Also my goal weight will still be 10lbs heavier than him so I'll never win. However, being that skinny has many health risks too, my boyfriends lung collapsed for no reason besides being too skinny and lacking muscles.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    If he loves you no matter what size you are, he's a keeper.
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    My boyfriend wishes he was 145 lbs. I am 5'6 and currently 154 lbs (started at 196 lbs) and he is 6' 125 lbs (started at 115 lbs). We don't care though, we both love each other and find the other incredibly attractive :D
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    My boyfriends always used to be skinnier than I. The one I have now is only 15 pounds heavier.....and really really bad at guessing weight. I take solace in that lol
  • vvvalentines
    vvvalentines Posts: 151
    I've got a huge weight gap between me and my fiance. I'm about 270 and 5'4", he's only about 160 and 6'0". I joke that my weight loss goal is to "lose one fiance," because his average weight is also roughly the amount that I want to lose from my high weight.

There are definitely times when I feel insecure about how much I weigh, and our weight difference, but it's more an issue of how we look in public (which I know is a dumb thing to worry about, but anyway) than how he feels about me. I weighed 40 lbs more when we met than I do now, and he didn't have a problem with my body then and he doesn't now. It helps me a lot that he is vocal about complimenting me and very clearly is attracted to me not "in spite of" my weight, but irrespective of it.
  • lemur933
    lemur933 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm 191.8 (as of last weigh in) and 5'6 my boyfriend is 134 and 5'8 or 5'9 or so. Yes, I feel this way sometimes, but I love him and he loves me and I push it aside. I know I will never be as skinny as him, as my body isn't really built like his, and I'm okay with that. As long as I'm healthy. He can eat anything he wants and not gain a pound, though some day that may catch up with him, who knows?
  • mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    my boyfriend is 6'2 and 165. looks super skinny. lost 22 pounds since we've been together
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    I am 5"6' 180 pounds now and my boyfriend is 6"2' 145 pounds so yes I know the feeling! He doesn't care how much I weigh but due to gender roles I am always feeling inadequate. Also my goal weight will still be 10lbs heavier than him so I'll never win. However, being that skinny has many health risks too, my boyfriends lung collapsed for no reason besides being too skinny and lacking muscles.

6'2" and 145lbs? You gotta make him a few sandwiches! :)
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I have been married for 24.5 years. My husband and I, in our bare feet, are the same height. For many years, he weighed less than I did (10-20 lbs), not much. But it always bothered me. His family would call him "Flaco" ("skinny" in Spanish - I wonder what they called me in their heads). But, age is the great equalizer - he's gained weight and I've lost a wee - bit, so now he does weigh about 20 lbs more than me. But he's not super healthy - he's gained it all in his tummy and doesn't exercise much. So, I would have to say, that, for health reasons, I'd rather he be "Flaco" again, even if it meant I was "bigger" than him.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    I'm 5'10 255, my husband is 6' 165. It's not that big of a deal for us, he doesn't seem to mind. I don't worry about it as much as I did when we first started dating. I used to be scared to sit on his lap, afraid I'd smoosh him. Not so much anymore. When I learned he wasn't as fragile I as I thought he was and when I gained a ton of self confidence somehow it stopped bothering me as much.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    I am 5'4", started at 210, CW 190, and working to get to 140-I know it will take time, my fiance is 5'8" and 155-160 depending on the day, so I know the feeling, I would like to just weigh less than him and I know in time with perserverance I will, and so will you, just keep up what you are doing!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Just work on improving yourself and be glad he doesn't care about the size difference. Stop worrying about it because if it continues to bother you a lot, it will eventually start to bother him, if only because you are so preoccupied with it.
  • NinjaUnicornPirate
    NinjaUnicornPirate Posts: 43 Member

6'2" and 145lbs? You gotta make him a few sandwiches! :)

Those were my same stats till I hit 25 or so. Then BAM!!! Hit me like a truck full of twinkies...
  • HJoy91
    HJoy91 Posts: 6 Member
    Well, I kind of know the feeling. My boyfriend's a personal trainer. He's not skinnier than me, but obviously we are on way different ends of the physical fitness spectrum. It's my motivation to be healthy and happy, and feel confident when I'm with him and his co-workers. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the weight difference if you truly care about each other.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Me, I don't mind a guy shorter than me. But, I like us to be at least somewhat equal. I don't like being taller AND fatter. But that's me, a single person who is always single.

I wonder why
    thinking-gif.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    My husband weighed less than me when we got married (In spite of being 6-7 inches taller than me) Never bugged me because that's the man I married and wanted to be with. Didn't bug him because I was the woman he married and wanted to be with.

See what I'm saying here?

No?

Well.

Get your mind right. If it was a problem he would have left already, so relax before he gets it in his mind that maybe he should leave.
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    I have it totally opposite. When I re-started back on MFP in January, I was 215 pounds (I'm 5' 4"). My boyfriend is 6' 3" and 350 pounds.

Neither one of us is shallow in any way. I believe that's the way it should be!

He's been very supportive of my weightloss journey, but in no way does he make me feel like I NEED to lose any weight.

:smile:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I couldnt date a guy skinnier than me :(

geuss I am shallow

Is it shallow or your preference in men? We all have a preference of what is attractive to our eyes.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    My husband weighed less than me when we got married (In spite of being 6-7 inches taller than me) Never bugged me because that's the man I married and wanted to be with. Didn't bug him because I was the woman he married and wanted to be with.

See what I'm saying here?

No?

Well.

Get your mind right. If it was a problem he would have left already, so relax before he gets it in his mind that maybe he should leave.

Yeah. That right there.