It's Been A Long Hard Road, and I'm only partially there!

Geekygal85
Geekygal85 Posts: 37 Member
Normally I am not one to post anything on forums, but I’ve read a lot of support and encouragement from people on this site and I think deep down that is what keeps me going. So here is my story (sorry it’s a little long).

As early as I can remember I have always been on the chunky side. I look back at pictures of when I was a kid, and I am not joking when I say I looked like the Michelin tire man. I had rolls like no tomorrow. Fast forward to middle and high school. Like most overweight teens, I was constantly made fun of but I never let it get to me cause guess what? My friends didn’t care and that’s all that mattered to me. Fast forward again about 5/6 years ago. I finally started to go to the doctor on a regular basis because I have an extensive family medical history that includes several forms of cancer, heart problems, diabetes (just to name some). I complained about fatigue a lot so my doctor had me go through a sleep study where she established that I have sleep apnea. Along with that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was prescribed medication for it. After constant visits I received the same remark: you need to lose weight.

It wasn’t until 2 years ago that I started to realize how much my weight has affected my life. So I love going to theme parks and riding pretty much every ride. So when my birthday rolled around 2 years ago my friends and I went to Universal Studios. Now I absolutely love Harry Potter, so I was beyond excited to finally be able to walk around the world of Harry Potter and ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (the one inside the castle). I had been reading nothing but amazing things about it, and the pictures do no justice. So we got to the park as soon as it opened so we could get in line. After about a 2 hour wait, we made to a short distance from getting on the ride. That is when one of the ride attendants pulled my friends and I aside. They simple asked us if we had ever been on this ride. Naturally we said no. So they informed us that we needed to try the tester seat before we could go on. Just a side note on this, 3 other people in my group are also overweight. I tried with all my might to get that bar to click all the way in place and it would not. On top of this, this was occurring right in front of the rest of the people in line (talk about humiliating). Out of the group of 5 of us, only 2 of them could ride it. So while those 2 got on, we were taken through a secret door that led to the ride exit. So while 2 of my friends were on the ride, I was in the corner crying my eyes out. I had waited and longed to ride this ride for so long and here I was too fat to ride it. My whole life I have never been turned away from being able to ride a ride and here I was not being able to ride the one that meant the most to me.

After that day I decided I needed to change my life to a better and healthier one. I didn’t want to be another statistic in my family medical history and I wanted to eventually ride that Harry Potter ride. Then tragedy struck my life that I am still trying to deal with. My older sister passed away a couple days before Christmas 2012. My whole world seemed to shatter right in front of me. I tried to continue through my first year of teaching, which was hard enough already without this going on. Somehow I made it to the end of the summer but my life still felt like it was broken into millions of little pieces. How could I possibly lose this weight when my sister was my biggest supporter ever? One day I had a serious talk with myself. I knew that my sister would not want me to sit around and sulk over her. She knew that I was trying to lose weight and I knew that she would not want me to just sit around doing nothing. That is when my journey started to live my healthier life and here I am a year later 50 pounds lighter and still going!

NewMe01_zps930c05fc.jpg

NewMe02_zps13f390dc.jpg

Replies

• Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Amazing work so far, I admire your dedication! So sorry about your sister.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Awesome progress, thank you for sharing your story. It always helps me to hear that I am not the only one who struggles. Keep fighting the fight, you are doing wonderful. I fully expect to see a Harry Potter picture when you reach goal :)
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Awesome progress! I can really see a huge difference!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Great achievement! Kudos to you for persisting in spite of the loss of your sister, which must be very difficult to deal with!
  • midnightjogger
    midnightjogger Posts: 45 Member
    What a nice job! I really see the difference! You can do this! Sorry to hear about your sister.:smile:
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Nice job!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    You look great!!! So sorry about the loss of your sister. When are you going back for your ride? Please post when you do. Wishing you all the best on your journey.
  • Omoe11
    Omoe11 Posts: 235 Member
    Great progress! Keep up the good work.
  • ReneeIsReady
    ReneeIsReady Posts: 97 Member
    your story made me tear up a little...so glad you decided to push through!
    You look amazing:smile: !!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Thanks for sharing, I had to take a deep breathe so I wouldn't cry. You are doing a great job and your sister would be proud!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • RJenxi
    RJenxi Posts: 31 Member
    Very emotional post please keep going and post a pic when you rude the Harry Potter Ride!!!!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Amazing. It is wonderful to hear that you used this to motivate you instead of continuing to harm yourself. When are you planning to go back to the Harry Potter ride?
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Good work!!! You just keep it up!!! You are worth it!! Feel the strength that is in you. You are able to do this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Dumping70
    Dumping70 Posts: 18
    Great job! It certainly goes on much easier then it comes off. I hope I have your ability to stick with it.
  • knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    You're looking great, and I hope you are feeling great too! We look forward to your Harry Potter ride photos. Big hugs re your sister -- hold on to the good memories and the love.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    So sorry about your sister. But she must be smiling at you from where she is. Good job on your progress!!! Keep at it and you will be where you want to be soon!
  • fatkidonadiet
    fatkidonadiet Posts: 45 Member
    You look awesome! way to go!
  • AidaCarla180
    AidaCarla180 Posts: 6 Member
    OMG! I can relate. I went through the same experience but unfortunately, I was the only overweight person among my friends so it was more than embarrassing but we'll get there some day. Cheers! :bigsmile:
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    job well done
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Great job! Such a big difference already! Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!