New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Hi Bob - thanks for the warm welcome and your support - it is very much appreciated. I did do the diabetic education class but it wasn't very helpful - I mostly learned stuff from the internet. So I am hoping that this group can help with the questions that come up from time to time. I look forward to getting to know the group and working together with it's members.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Thanks Shelly, most of the knowledge I've gained has been through trusted sites on the internet for solid information too.

This is a fantastic community of experienced people living with T2D successfully.

Wishing you the best this group can offer.
  • JTennor
    JTennor Posts: 1
    I was diagnosed this morning with Type 2. I'll find out in a few days if it's Adult onset type 1.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    I was diagnosed this morning with Type 2. I'll find out in a few days if it's Adult onset type 1.

Welcome to our group JTennor!! I was diagnosed about a month ago with Type 2 diabetes. How do they find out if you are adult onset type 1 in a few days. I just thought if you were diagnosed with type 2, then that was it.

In general, people with diabetes either have a total lack of insulin (type 1 diabetes) or they have too little insulin or cannot use insulin effectively (type 2 diabetes).

Type 1 diabetes (formerly called juvenile-onset or insulin-dependent diabetes), accounts for 5% to 10% of all people with diabetes.1 In type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system destroys the cells that release insulin, eventually eliminating insulin production from the body. Without insulin, cells cannot absorb sugar (glucose), which they need to produce energy.
    Type 2 diabetes (formerly called adult-onset or non–insulin-dependent diabetes) can develop at any age, but most commonly becomes apparent during adulthood. But the incidence of type 2 diabetes in children is rising. Type 2 diabetes accounts for the vast majority of people with diabetes—90% to 95%. In contrast to type 1 diabetes, insulin resistance is the main characteristic of type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance refers to the body's inability to respond properly to insulin. Resistance develops because of many factors, including genetics, obesity, increasing age, and having high blood sugar for a long time.
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/diabetes_differences_between_type_1_and_2-health/article_em.htm
  • mona532
    mona532 Posts: 1
    Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group! :smile:

Hi, my name is Bob. I'm living a happy, healthy and complication free lifestyle since my T2 diagnosis in 1982.

I'm treating my T2D condition with Lantus long acting insulin, Metformin 2x/day, along with Novolog mealtime insulin to cover my mealtime carbohydrates. It's also important for me to incorporate a weekly exercise routine whenever possible-to help me reduce the insulin resistance issues associated with having Type 2 diabetes.

Have a look around the various thread topics within this group, and ask questions when you feel comfortable. There are many kind, supportive and knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their experiences with you on what works for them-and what hasn't worked for them too.

Sharing your contributions and experiences with this very supportive community is strongly encouraged and warmly welcomed.

One of the foremost frustrating issues living with a condition of diabetes is, each of us is unique in how we approach our self management of this condition. From the medications we take, our food choices, blood sugar management goals each of us has-and how the food and exercise choices we make effect our individualistic blood sugar target and management goals-just to name a few.

The good news is, the myftinesspal program, when applied honestly and correctly is a powerful tool, to help you reach for your goals, by tracking the food choices you make and how those choices effect your blood sugar testing results.

If you're newly diagnosed-I strongly encourage you to seek out the recommendation of a diabetes education course in your area-from your healthcare provider, as many newly diagnosed with this condition find these classes to be very beneficial.

Best wishes for your good health and success!
  • bdubya55
    Welcome mona, Thanks for bumping this! :smile:
  • Hello I am Jackie and T2. I need to loose 25 pounds in order to be given a new Liver Transplant . I am also a diabetic with a A1C of 9 as of yesterday. I need to get my blood sugar under control also...so I am looking for some ideas and support to loose the weight and lower the blood sugar too. Looking forward to new friends and suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Hello I am Jackie and T2. I need to loose 25 pounds in order to be given a new Liver Transplant . I am also a diabetic with a A1C of 9 as of yesterday. I need to get my blood sugar under control also...so I am looking for some ideas and support to loose the weight and lower the blood sugar too. Looking forward to new friends and suggestions.
    Thanks,

Welcome Jackie! 30-45 carbs per meal and 15-30 per snack is what the doctor told me. I've been trying to follow that. Log ask your food on MFP. Are you on medication? Friend me. :)
  • stobin68
    stobin68 Posts: 17 Member
    hi. Steve here. I've decided to move beyond the lurker stage. : )

I just turned 46, and 2014 has been a wake up call for me.

After a 2 year gap, i went in for a check up and blood work in March, but mostly to pick up some altitude sickness meds for a trip i was taking...only to discover that my blood sugar AND cholesterol numbers were off the charts. BS tests had been random tests up to that point, and approaching pre-diabetic levels. cholesterol had been a little high, just over 200. but nothing alarming. This time, my random BS was 278, AC1 was 10.5, and cholesterol was 451! For some reason, my HDL, LDL and triglycerides were not recorded/tested but with a 451 total, i knew none of it was good.:noway:

I think my doctor was ready to put me on Metformin and a statin right then and there, but i told him i wanted to see what a better diet and exercise ALONE could do first before i would consider any meds. He agreed to that, but based on my then current diet/exercise (not a super healthy eater, but not terrible eater, light drinker, and 2 hours of tennis a week) and family history, he seemed to think genetics were more at play and meds would likely be needed for both BS and cholesterol. bummer.

so that's when i downloaded the MFP app, and with cautious optimism, started my "healthier lifestyle."

diet-wise, i'm doing a low-ish carb plan. Not like Atkins, which I did once years ago. Lost a good 30 lbs back in my late 30s but found Atkins hard to sustain in the long haul, and didn't like how ketosis made me feel. then again, i also remember eating lots of beef jerky on that diet, and bacon and eggs all the time, so i'm not sure how balanced my diet ever was. Now, with so many low carbers and Paleos and gluten-free peeps on the Web, i'm finding lots of good recipes, ideas and products to try. But what I'm doing now is a 25% carb, 25% protein, 50% fat diet, (give or take) and with exercise factored in, I budget about 2400 calories a day. So i end up eating about 130-140 carbs throughout the day. I'm eating veggies and fruit, some whole grains, lean meat, nuts, eggs, dairy, and mostly just avoiding added sugar, and white flour and heavy starches like pasta and potatoes. Still enjoying the occasional wine and cocktail, with no sugar mixers.

for exercise, i do elliptical 5 days a week for 35 minutes, and 2 hours of tennis on the weekend. I've also just started a very light weight training routine in my garage. 2x a week, for maybe 20-25 min.

So i had my 3 month re-check this week.

WEIGHT: Down 20 lbs, from 240 to 220 lbs, so at 6'4", i'm getting close to the weight i want to be
    BLOOD SUGAR: fasting = 93 A1C = 5.9 (from 10.6!)
    TOTAL CHOLESTEROL: 140 (this was the real shocker for me! From 451 in March!
    TRIGLYCERIDES: 141 LDL: 72 HDL: 40 (up 12 points since last reading in 2012)

My first reaction was that maybe my March tests were skewed high, or incorrectly tested, or someone spilled their frappuccino in my blood sample. But considering my other blood work for thyroid, liver function, complete blood counts, iron, uric acid, etc, were all in normal range and in line with previous readings, i decided to take credit. :smile:

So i'm thrilled that my diet/exercise efforts have paid off thus far, but the fact remains that I've crossed the diabetic threshold. I also know that I lucked out and could have had different results with the same effort.

Now comes the hard part. Keeping it up, and off.

cheers.

ss
  • bdubya55
    Hi Steve!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Many people learn of their T2D diagnosis through routine testing.

Congratulations with the improvements you've made. Fantastic progress. Very commendable!:drinker:

Wishing you the continued success and good health you deserve!

Welcome to this community and all it has to offer.

~Bob
  • bdubya55
    Hello I am Jackie and T2. I need to loose 25 pounds in order to be given a new Liver Transplant . I am also a diabetic with a A1C of 9 as of yesterday. I need to get my blood sugar under control also...so I am looking for some ideas and support to loose the weight and lower the blood sugar too. Looking forward to new friends and suggestions.
    Thanks,

Hi Jackie,

The myfitnesspal tracking program is a powerful tool to help you reach your weight loss goals when applied correctly. If you're currently not using a blood glucose meter to track your blood sugars against your food choices by testing before mealtimes and 2hrs afterwards, I encourage you to seek out a prescription for one from your healthcare provider treating your diabetes, having him/her recommend blood sugar target goals to aim for.

Additionally, seeking out a recommendation to a diabetes education course in your area from your healthcare team has proven to be very beneficial to those newly diagnosed.

Best wishes for your success on your journey to your transplant and beyond.

Have a look around the various thread topics and ask questions when you feel comfortable. There are many knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their experiences and advise.

Welcome!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Hello. My name is Zoe Bevers. I was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, with sugar going down after drastic lifestyle change. I don't like needles, so I don't want to test myself if I don't have to. I am also on Metformin, like another member, as well as harsh diet and extreme exercise. I love myfitnesspal to let me know how many calories are left in each day. The hard part is that I am in a wheelchair, limiting my exercise options to horse riding and hand biking, 1 hr weekly and 30 mins-1 hr daily, respectively. I also must eliminate ALL flour and sweetness (BOOO!) from my life.
  • bdubya55
    Hello. My name is Zoe Bevers. I was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, with sugar going down after drastic lifestyle change. I don't like needles, so I don't want to test myself if I don't have to. I am also on Metformin, like another member, as well as harsh diet and extreme exercise. I love myfitnesspal to let me know how many calories are left in each day. The hard part is that I am in a wheelchair, limiting my exercise options to horse riding and hand biking, 1 hr weekly and 30 mins-1 hr daily, respectively. I also must eliminate ALL flour and sweetness (BOOO!) from my life.

Hi, Welcome Zoe!

Glad to hear your blood sugars have come down as a result of the new lifestyle changes you've made. Being diagnosed with a condition of diabetes for many people brings with it a wide range of emotions at first.

As T2D's we're carbohydrate intolerant. The myfitnesspal program is a powerful tracking tool when applied correctly in helping us track the carbs we eat. Each of is unique in how the various carbs we eat effect our blood sugars. Testing before meals and 2hrs after is an important part of the learning process of how the choices we make affect the blood sugar and the target goals we set for ourselves with the help of our healthcare providers.

By eating to your meter you'll quickly learn, what effects the food choices you've made had on your blood sugars. I can empathize with your dislike of needles. Testing can and will be somewhat uncomfortable at times. I've found ways to reduce this discomfort by changing out my testing lancets before each test. I also found more comfort by using the sides of my finger tips instead of my finger pads. Rotate your lancing sites too. Most lancing devices give the ability to dial back the depth. I'd recommend starting at the lowest setting and dial up until you are able to produce a large enough sample for a test result.

It's great you have an interest in riding and hand biking too given your limitations. Google is your friend when looking towards adding additional exercise routines to your temporary or permanent wheel chaired lifestyle.

This community is very eager to help and support your efforts through sharing knowledge and advise whenever possible along with offering genuine encouragement too.

Best wishes for your success and good health!
  • VitaNew2014
    VitaNew2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Travita and I recently found out that I have T2D and of course I was shocked. But when I really thought about it, I wasn't because I was going to school (online) so I was not moving much. It seemed my life revolved around sitting at my kitchen table with a stack of books. Now that I know, I have been making a change for the better. I am aware of myself and it actually feels good. I am watching what i eat and exercising more (a lot more) and I am even attempting a Color Run 5K next month. My levels have been good because of the changes that I have made, but can anyone offer any advice that a newbee should know.

Travita
  • bdubya55
    Hi Travita!

It's great you've made some changes already proven by your better blood sugar levels. One of the most frustrating issues of having this condition is, each of us is unique in our management, blood sugar target goals, the various oral and injectable medications we take along with how our bodies react to our food choices.

The good news is, the myfitnesspal tracking program is a powerful tool when applied honestly and correctly. As T2D's we're carbohydrate intolerant. Meaning carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels. Some more than others. Suspect carbs to avoid would be breads, rice, pasta, potatoes and most processed and refined foods.

Eating to your meter is a good guideline to follow. Test before mealtimes and 2hrs after to learn the affects of the food choices you've made. It's all trial and error. Perfection doesn't exist.

I strongly encourage you to seek out the help of a diabetes education course in your area from your healthcare provider. Many newly diagnosed individuals find these classes very beneficial.

bloodsugar101.com is a great place to start if you haven't already visited. It's packed with a lot of invaluable information designed to answer your questions and ease frustration.

This is a wonderful community eager to share our experiences with what works and doesn't work. Have a look around the various thread topics, ask questions if you have any. Your contributions and experiences are warmly welcomed too. We're all here to help each other out whenever possible.

Best wishes towards your success and good health.

Welcome!

~Bob
  • ila1941
    ila1941 Posts: 7 Member
    I was diagnosed with T2 July, 2002. As with a lot of diabetics, I got by with being lax, but as I got older it started to catch up with me. I was on Metformin but the doctor became concerned about my kidneys so I was taken off Metformin and started Levemir. The breakthrough came several months ago when I switched from injecting in my thighs to my stomach. Since then I have started the days with good fasting numbers, and have been able to keep them low the rest of the day. I started using myfitnesspal app about then too and discovered how many carbs I could eat at a meal, and that some of the foods I had been denying myself I could eat in a small serving, about 15 carbs. My latest A1C was 6.9, down from 7.8 three months ago.
  • bdubya55
    Hi ila!

If we're at all honest with ourselves, I think we all can relate to your being lax. I certainly can, having been diagnosed in 1982.

Your breakthrough in switching injection sites is cool, as the stomach area provides the best absorption rate for dosing.

Glad to know you've been able make improvements towards your blood sugar control based on the changes you've made.

Equally wonderful is your discovery on how the carbs you eat effect your control and making adjustments to meet your target goals.

Congratulations on your improvement from 7.8 to 6.9. Not an easy task.

Welcome!
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Hi! New to the group and new to diabetes. I just got diagnosed last Tuesday. I've been fighting the pre-diabetes for years. And even though I'm not overweight and very athletic, it has caught up with me. All of my siblings have it, my father had it, and now I've got it.

For the next three months, my doctor and I are treating with diet. I'm down to 50 carbs a day. I'm kinda liking that I'm starting to lose weight again, because I've put on about 15 pounds from my goal weight. I'm looking forward to losing those. But this diet is hard for me because fruit was my favorite food. I didn't eat sweets and ate very few unprocessed foods before since I've got Celiac disease and I'm allergic to eggs and dairy.

As I said before I'm very athletic and I run half-marathons and 10Ks for fun, and am looking to do run first marathon in July 2015. I also swim, do lots and lots of hot power yoga, hike, and walk. I'm also running Ragnar next month.

My numbers:
    A1C: 6.7
    Fasting blood sugar: 113 (after at 3.5 mile run to the doctor)

I could really use some help on how to do this low carb thing while long-distance running...so if anyone can help or friend me, I'd super appreciate it.

Andrea :-)
  • bdubya55
    Hi Andrea, Welcome!

Thanks for sharing.

Adding a second chronic condition to your lifestyle plate surely must be challenging. Eliminating the foods we've enjoyed is oftentimes very challenging. Best of luck achieving your 3 month goals.

It's wonderful your so athletic and active too. Very impressive, and clearly debunks the theory promoted that being diagnosed with T2D stems from being overweight and inactive.

A 3.5 mile run to the doctor? Now I'm super impressed!

I'm not a low carber, and definitely not a long distance runner. Hopefully someone else might offer some tips and advise. If not you may want to create a new topic.

In the meantime, best wishes towards your success!

btw, great pic!
  • bdubya55
    Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group! :smile:

Hi, my name is Bob. I'm living a happy, healthy and complication free lifestyle since my T2 diagnosis in 1982.

I'm treating my T2D condition with Lantus long acting insulin, Metformin 2x/day, along with Novolog mealtime insulin to cover my mealtime carbohydrates. It's also important for me to incorporate a weekly exercise routine whenever possible-to help me reduce the insulin resistance issues associated with having Type 2 diabetes.

Have a look around the various thread topics within this group, and ask questions when you feel comfortable. There are many kind, supportive and knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their experiences with you on what works for them-and what hasn't worked for them too.

Sharing your contributions and experiences with this very supportive community is strongly encouraged and warmly welcomed.

One of the foremost frustrating issues living with a condition of diabetes is, each of us is unique in how we approach the management of this condition. From the medications we take, our food choices, blood sugar management goals each of us has-and how the food and exercise choices we make effect our individualistic blood sugar target and management goals-just to name a few.

The good news is, the myftinesspal program, when applied honestly and correctly is a powerful tool, to help you reach for your goals, by tracking the food choices you make and how those choices effect your blood sugar testing results.

If you're newly diagnosed-I strongly encourage you to seek out the recommendation of a diabetes education course in your area-from your healthcare provider, as many newly diagnosed with this condition find them to be very beneficial.

Best wishes for your good health and success!