People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member

But I don't think I am the only person who has come on these forums, read all the posts about how little people are eating and thought, "why can't I eat that little? am I doomed to be a bloated whale for life" or even tried to eat so little only to binge after a couple of months (and for a couple of months) and end up fatter than they were before.

I am fatter than the first time I came to this site precisely because I tried to compete with some of the calorie levels I was seeing and thinking I was being a pig eating more than that because "if they can do it I must be able to". That sets a lot of people up for failure, I can't believe I am the only one...

no, you are not the only one. at least I am here...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    And on this site I actually find there's a lot of encouragement to eat a lot of calories. I find myself thinking whether I should put mine up pretty often, and I normally eat at least 1500, just because there's so much advocation of high calories, then I think why change what's been working for me for months.
    Yeah, it's like a badge of honor here... how many calories you CAN eat and still lose weight. It's a little caveman-like-- "Me big, go gym long hours, eat bacon, lift, me macho! You bad who do yoga and eat salad! Bad, lazy, old, little female!" :laugh:

hey, there are cave women here as well you know!

(and I can quote you peer reviewed journal articles that contain evidence that neanderthals spoke in sentences, so that would be "I'm big and strong, I lift lots of heavy things. We hunt mammoths, carry them back to the cave and share them with the tribe and we all eat lots of meat.")

Also, most of the people here who promote lifting, exercise and eating lots of food are female.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'll admit I am one of those people who could probably eat 1200 calories a day and feel satisfied. Note the emphasis on could. I ate "clean" for a bit and found myself having to force down that last bit of food to get up to 1500 net calories. Found eating chicken breast and broccoli to a 50/30/20 prot/carb/fat ratio to be extremely filling to the amount of calories.

That said I don't do that anymore because its bad to eat that little and silly to choose a set of foods that has you having to push to get yourself to eat. If you struggle to eat enough, put some more fat or carbs in there and take out some fiber and that will probably fix it for you.

I try to avoid the "if it worked for me it will work for you" type of comments but honestly I think that probably is universal. Less fiber, more fat = more calories, less full.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    I try to avoid the "if it worked for me it will work for you" type of comments but honestly I think that probably is universal. Less fiber, more fat = more calories, less full.

An honest question: have you tried eating that way hence conclusion or did you just assume?
  • Aaron_K123

An honest question: have you tried eating that way hence conclusion or did you just assume?

I tried eating that way to start. Had my net goal set at 1500 and ate very little carbs, lots of lean protein with a lot of veg. My fat intake was very low. I struggled to eat even 1500 doing that.

I mean honestly you don't even have to try it to understand that trying to eat a significant amount of calories from vegetables is going to physically fill your stomach. I've never felt "cravings" for food that people describe so that was never a driver for me. If I felt full then eating more was unappealing. Now I DID force myself to eat to reach my goal but after talking more on the forums I decided to up my calorie goal and ease back on the veg and lean protein and diversify a bit more.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Also, most of the people here who promote lifting, exercise and eating lots of food are female.
    Oh, I know there are plenty of each gender who do it. It doesn't change my feelings about it. I'm glad that there is at least a decent groupthink mentality here, if you have to have one-- that of the bodybuilder school of thought. But does it have to be so 'my way or the highway'?

I mean, go to any diet forum and you see new dieters claiming they fill up too quickly on their new diet. I think the obvious assumption is 'what you pay attention to (finally), changes you', and as the dieters chill out and settle in, they'll go back to being hungry at low intake levels.

But the default assumptions here seem to be that they're lying, they're doing it to annoy people who are past that stage and don't remember it or never experienced it, or they're just idiots for thinking they're full because clearly no human could be full on 800 if we all aren't. :huh:
  • sseale1
    sseale1 Posts: 6 Member
    They are lying. I eat that many calories a day every day and I am hungry and cranky all the time.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    They are lying. I eat that many calories a day every day and I am hungry and cranky all the time.
    So because you aren't satisfied on a small amount of food, anyone who claims to be is lying?
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.

I have always ate like a bird. So far today, I have had a yogurt with fresh strawberries and blueberries for breakfast. Lunch was 3oz of baby carrots and a wrap with ham, cheese, mixed greens and mustard. I have also had 6 glasses of water. Roughly 550 calories and I am stuffed.

My pm snack is grapes and blueberries, weighed to be another 100 calories. It is doubtful my dinner will be more than 400-450 calories. I am not hungry at all if I get protein.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167

What have we got to gain from lying???
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    My main hypocritical question is the weight loss tickers vs join date. If you can't eat more than 1200 calories but joined three years ago, by now you've lost all your weight, right? Hypocritical because in my case my join date is not when I started logging. I'm not even sure I know what MFP was really for until a bit over a year ago. But if that's not other people's reason, then I confuse :ohwell:
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    I just don't buy into the idea that people are perfectly happy eating only the "healthiest" stuff that amounts to less than 1500kcal a day.

If I only have super-healthy vegetables, super-healthy fruits, super-healthy chicken/vegetarian equivalent for two days, I just want to go outside set everything on fire that looks healthy or is green . Then I will see reason and have stuff like Greek Yoghurt, eggs, toast, salami and real dinner.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    And on this site I actually find there's a lot of encouragement to eat a lot of calories. I find myself thinking whether I should put mine up pretty often, and I normally eat at least 1500, just because there's so much advocation of high calories, then I think why change what's been working for me for months.
    Yeah, it's like a badge of honor here... how many calories you CAN eat and still lose weight. It's a little caveman-like-- "Me big, go gym long hours, eat bacon, lift, me macho! You bad who do yoga and eat salad! Bad, lazy, old, little female!" :laugh:

Omg! This made my morning lol
  • Aaron_K123

Omg! This made my morning lol

If you guys seriously consider 1500 calories to be "high" I think you have a very skewed idea about how much energy your body requires and what a calorie is.

People get overweight when they don't pay attention to their calories, in otherwords they don't realize how much they are eating. To get fat most people have to eat something like 3000 calories with a fair amount of frequency and most people can lose weight eating 2000 calories as a result (slowly lose weight). You can try to lose more weight by going lower sure but to those who go to 1200 you are honestly causing yourself more harm than good.

People telling you this aren't being macho they are telling you the truth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

5 - they have other deep seeded emotional and psychological issues
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

5 - they have other deep seeded emotional and psychological issues
    So when my stomach says, "I'm not hungry anymore," it's because of one of those five reasons and it can't possibly be because I just simply have a small appetite?
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    I've found I can get full on about 500 calories (not 'stuffed', mind you). One example would be a big bowl of cereal, a pear, and an apple. Full. I try to keep my meals between 500-800 calories max on average, when at a deficit.

Compare that to fast food where I can easily eat 1500 calories and be hungry again shortly thereafter. I'm guessing it's the high sugar / low fiber combination that has no staying power to keep me full.
  • Goliath1357
    Goliath1357 Posts: 65 Member
    Everyone is different and has different eating habits developed over time. I did not get fat from over-eating, I gained a lot of weight in my early teens from an illness and never lost it. My eating habits have been highly unhealthy my whole life, both of my parents worked so they didn't cook-we ate fast food, take-out, sandwiches, etc. everyday. I also usually ate 1 or 2 big meals each day. That combined with my low activity levels and severe insomnia led to my current weight. I am trying to eat 1200 calories a day and then raise it as I progress. I am now eating smaller meals throughout the day and drinking tons of water so I don't end up hungry at the end of the day. It's something that takes getting used to and is a complete lifestyle change so I can understand some people finding it difficult to consume 2000+ calories early on in their weight loss journey.

I'm not trying to severely pick at you or anything, but you claim you didn't get fat from over-eating, you got fat from illness. Then you say your eating habits have been unhealthy your whole life because you ate fast food, take out, etc.

How else do you think you gained the fat? i'm not really picking up what you're trying to say here.

I wasn't overweight until my I got sick and unhealthy eating combined with progressively lessening activity caused me to maintain that weight .
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    I bet they have room for a wafer thin mint... just a tiny little thin one.

Nicely done, sir...
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    If I eat 800 calories and feel full, it probably was after a 2000 calorie day eating half a watermelon, 2 salads, a huge stir fry and other misc. items that are low calorie but huge volume