Planet Fitness

Replies

• alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    I'm not. But I am a member of the YMCA. I get a huge discount on membership. They won't refuse you if you can't afford it.... you'll still be able to join. ;)

EDIT: I pay $28 for a family at the YMCA, I get free classes with my membership, and get to swim and use all their things. I love it!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    I joined just a few months ago, and quit last month. There was no commitment or contract, no early termination fee or signup fee. It only cost me the $10 per month for the few months that I was a member. It was well worth the price, but I outgrew the gym quickly. For those with more to lose, who want to concentrate more on cardio and lifting only with machines, it's perfect.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    I am a member. It works for me because it is walking distance from my house fits into my tight budget and works for my current needs. I am thinking once my fitness levels go up I will move on but for right now it works fine for me. I ignore the pizza, tanning, tootsie rolls. Mostly I am wearing headphones and in my own world so the vibe of the gym doesn't bother me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm not. But I am a member of the YMCA. I get a huge discount on membership. They won't refuse you if you can't afford it.... you'll still be able to join. ;)

EDIT: I pay $28 for a family at the YMCA, I get free classes with my membership, and get to swim and use all their things. I love it!!
    My Y was pretty good. Then it went up to 40 for one person.
  • Kagemori
    Kagemori Posts: 88 Member
    Wow so many replies. Send like everyone has something to say.both good and bad. I will try going in and checking it out tomorrow I think after work. One of the radio's I was interested in this gym in particular was not only because of the cheap price but also because the gym is literally right next door to my new job so I thought it would be really convenient. Most days I'm stuck waiting two sometimes three hours for my ride to get out from their own job so it would give me the chance to work out at the gym a few times a week waiting on them.

Thanks for all your opinions. If anything interesting happens or stands out I'll mention it here tomorrow.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I pay $34 an hour to use a private gym. (Along with my el cheapo YMCA membership.)

At that price, I make sure I get the value out of my work.

How many people do that with a $10 a month gym? ;) It's interesting to me how the value of a membership is correlated to the amount it's used.

ETA - RE:PF : You'll totally get sweet free pizza nights there, and someone to tut-tut you if you work out too hard.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I pay $34 an hour to use a private gym. (Along with my el cheapo YMCA membership.)

At that price, I make sure I get the value out of my work.

How many people do that with a $10 a month gym? ;) It's interesting to me how the value of a membership is correlated to the amount it's used.

ETA - RE:PF : You'll totally get sweet free pizza nights there, and someone to tut-tut you if you work out too hard.
    I'm TOTALLY getting my money's worth out of my 10 dollar gym. In fact, I'm not using it any differently than I used my last gym. Except that it's close, so I use it more often.
    I DONT believe paying more necessarily equates to better or more use. Last year or so I belonged to an 80 dollar gym. Not much different, except no one's handing me a towel.
    Oh, and it had pool parties with cheeseburgers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Wow so many replies. Send like everyone has something to say.both good and bad. I will try going in and checking it out tomorrow I think after work. One of the radio's I was interested in this gym in particular was not only because of the cheap price but also because the gym is literally right next door to my new job so I thought it would be really convenient. Most days I'm stuck waiting two sometimes three hours for my ride to get out from their own job so it would give me the chance to work out at the gym a few times a week waiting on them.

Thanks for all your opinions. If anything interesting happens or stands out I'll mention it here tomorrow.
    Ask them if you try it and then join can you convert the one day guest pass fee to pay the first month.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    I was a member of PF. I told them in writing to cancel my membership after my 1 year contract was up. I had the $10/month deal. They refused to cancel it. I cancelled the automatic payments myself. They continued billing for 3 more cycles, and then sent it to collections. When I fought it, they told my I breached contract and cancelled early. This happened to several people I know.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I was a member of PF. I told them in writing to cancel my membership after my 1 year contract was up. I had the $10/month deal. They refused to cancel it. I cancelled the automatic payments myself. They continued billing for 3 more cycles, and then sent it to collections. When I fought it, they told my I breached contract and cancelled early. This happened to several people I know.
    This happened to me with a fancy Wellbridge Gym. When I quit PF, it was simple. It's a horrible waste of time dealing with this sort of stuff.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member

I also have the low-income membership to the Y, and I love it. Beside the normal cardio and weight equipment, you've got the big-*kitten* swimming pool and tons of classes (I do Zumba 4x a week, because it's so much fun), included in the membership.
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    YMCA offered me $60 a month which is way too high for me.
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    I feel PF shouldn't have pizza Monday's every month. It's good to reward yourself, but pizza is not generally good for you. Is it so members gain more so they have to come back and continue working out? I love pizza but I always wondered why they would have something that contributes to weight gain there.
  • pgphd1
    pgphd1 Posts: 7 Member
    Watch out for the fees! It's $120 a year plus annual fees which could be in excess of $100
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    I feel PF shouldn't have pizza Monday's every month. It's good to reward yourself, but pizza is not generally good for you. Is it so members gain more so they have to come back and continue working out? I love pizza but I always wondered why they would have something that contributes to weight gain there.

It only contributes to weight gain if you eat too much of it. Every gym I've seen sells protein shakes and bars at the front counter. Those also contribute to weight gain when you eat too much of them. At least the pizza is free.
  • liz_low7
    liz_low7 Posts: 9 Member
    I started at Planet Fitness, and you basically get out of it what you put into it. That being said, they simply don't offer certain things, so if you want to do squats or deadlifts you won't be able to. It's a decent place to get comfortable going to the gym if you're just starting, but I switched once I realized that I wasn't going to be able to take my progress much further without the right equipment.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    There are only two girls at my gym who actually squat at the power rack, so it isn't really a rude thing saying most women wont be affected by their rules.

Just because it is the internet doesn't mean people have to over-crusade everything.
  • rmills22
    rmills22 Posts: 2
    There are no catches with PF. There are no extra costs, however you can upgrade to the $20 membership and gain use of the massage tables, chairs, and other machines. This also allows you to be able to go to more than just your "home gym". This is a great way to get started, I wouldn't say that it is designed for a "gym head" that seeks everything. I love that it is 24 hours, because most of the time if I can't sleep I will get up and go or if I have been running around all day I don't have to try to make it by 10:00, as most gyms in my area close @ that time. The staff is wonderful at my home location and the other that I visit quite frequently. There are other gyms in the area that have the "$10 membership" as well, but I noticed that you also get the $10 treatment after visiting and then later when I ATTEMPTED to join! That being said, I love PF and am there daily and never have experienced the overcrowding that some other members speak of. I know that the evenings after work is usually the peak time at my location and even then, I am always still able to move around as I please and able to get a machine. Also, if you are near a Costco you can go there and purchase a $34 pass for 6 months....can't beat that! (although I later upgraded to the $20 membership, only due to work as I am sometimes ending my day in other areas). $34 for 6 months, and YES at the end of the 6 months you can go and purchase another....$70 for the year=not bad! I know of some that charge more than that MONTHLY!
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    There are no hidden cost. It is a good gym if you are looking to do weights and exercise machines. It depends on what you want out of a gym. I was a member for years but changed gyms once I started training for a triathlon (I needed a pool for lap swimming).