Looking for plant strong or plant based diet people

2»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    I just start pullus, equus tied to evo pescatarian strong based plants and weak based plants diet. It is the best of the land, ocean, fowl, and ponies diet available. I do not like labels though . . . .can you sense the sarcasm?

You kill horses, don't you? :cry:

Somebody saw the Latin; and no, but the labeling just makes my eyes roll. Though horse is eaten in some countries. And I get the need for labels, people need them :bigsmile:

As an anarcho-communist, feminist, freshly minted vegan, I concur!

Edit. Forgot a hyphen. Also, humanist. Except when I'm being a misanthrope. Hey, I'm grumpy before coffee.

You two are cracking me up!!!

I want you take note here, giggling, in almost any form for a period greater then 3.6 seconds is a 2 calorie burn. Enter it in cardio. . . .true story. ;) Obviously, body type, weight, body fat, what time you broke the 'fast' and if you have a mild addiction to sugar all play a role in the 2 calories. PS--I just ate 2 large cupcakes and they were lovely. Just lovely.
  • chelsfelt
    chelsfelt Posts: 39 Member
    Oh I'm so very glad not everyone in here is a strictly plant-based vegan. Two years ago I watched all those food documentaries (FoK, Food Inc., Fat Sick Nearly Dead, Vegucated, and Earthlings) and never ate meat again. In a perfect world, I would be strictly plant-based, but I can't do it because it takes too much time and energy. For the past two years I've gone between the extremes of strict Plant-based and junk food vegetarian. I've now for the past several months settled into a healthy veggie diet that includes some yogurt and cheese but I avoid straight milk like the plague (plus almond milk tastes sooooo much better).

I have so many vegan cookbooks. I love Forks over knives, all the Happy Herbivore books (so cheap, so easy, so quick!), The China Study cookbook, and I just got the Oh, She Glows cookbook which isn't no-oil but is freaking amazing. The recipes in there are delicious.

Anyway... Friend me! I don't have enough friends on here and I won't judge you for anything you eat, because I occasionally binge and eat like 4 donuts or something crazy like that and I know i don't want people judging me for that, yanno?
  • sugar297
    sugar297 Posts: 106 Member
    I just started eating 90 percent plant based diet after I watched Fork over Knives. I have been at it for about 1 month. I love it. I am hoping to friend some of you. I eat yogurt occasionally and have had fish a couple times.

I am hoping that this diet will alleviate some of my health issues (asthma, neck pain etc.)

Please feel free to add me.
    :flowerforyou:
  • FruityFabulous
    FruityFabulous Posts: 1 Member
    I am just embarking on a plant based diet- I have done it in the past with fantastic results. Health should be NUMBER 1. Feel free to add me, I am new and would love some friends :)

<3
  • shrinkingfatchick85
    shrinkingfatchick85 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm transitioning into a plant based diet/vegan diet and am looking to connect to others for support as I don't have a huge support system locally.

Also I notice below the mention of veggie burgers...if you haven't tried Hilary's brand they are great. My meat loving husband eats then...in fact he asks for them at least once a week :) which make the beginning of this transition easier for me.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    There is also a group called MFP Vegetarians. I am so happy to see that this thread had made it a month without anyone saying you need meat to survive :happy: Oh wait did I just jinx it :blushing:
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    I'm meatless two days a week and eat meat the other five. I will say that going green towards the kale/spinach greens has helped me a lot in losing weight. I don't think I could ever go full vegan or vegetarian (i just love meat too much) but I welcome your plant-based ideas/recipes. That said, I drive my wife crazy when I tell her that a kale smoothie is what's for dinner. It's just where my tastes have moved to in making the change. I've learned to make a "mean green" kale smoothie and get a lot of nutrition and other benefits from it, including weight loss.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    How do you all get enough protein? Like, at least 100 grams per day? I have no problem eating meat, but my husband bought me a plant based protein powder, and although I LOVED the taste, it blew me up like a hot air balloon. It contained rice protein, hemp protein, pea protein and chia seeds. I have talked to other people who said the same thing about that particular brand of plant based protein, so I don't know if it is just that brand, or if it is one of the ingredients causing that problem.
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Lacto-ovo vegetarian for 18 years. Feel free to add me. Everyone else at home are omnivores.
  • Very interesting post! I had no idea about most of what is talked about on here. I actually thought vegan and vegetarian were one in the same, I will never make that mistake again! haha. I am very interested in the plant based diet. I was an avid mean green smoothie every morning girl for a few months. I am trying to get back into it but looking into new smoothie options and I don't think I can go total smoothie all day every day so finding a plant based diet is ideal. Please add me if you would like, I would love to see everyone's food diary :smile:
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    How do you all get enough protein? Like, at least 100 grams per day? I have no problem eating meat, but my husband bought me a plant based protein powder, and although I LOVED the taste, it blew me up like a hot air balloon. It contained rice protein, hemp protein, pea protein and chia seeds. I have talked to other people who said the same thing about that particular brand of plant based protein, so I don't know if it is just that brand, or if it is one of the ingredients causing that problem.

I'm curious about this too. I am just now making the switch to ovo-lacto-pescatarian and definitely going to be more plant based than anything. But I had a hard enough time getting enough protein when I was eating meat.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Very interesting post! I had no idea about most of what is talked about on here. I actually thought vegan and vegetarian were one in the same, I will never make that mistake again! haha. I am very interested in the plant based diet. I was an avid mean green smoothie every morning girl for a few months. I am trying to get back into it but looking into new smoothie options and I don't think I can go total smoothie all day every day so finding a plant based diet is ideal. Please add me if you would like, I would love to see everyone's food diary :smile:

There are also sub-categories of vegetarian...
    ovo-still eats eggs
    lacto-still eats dairy
    pescatarian-still eats fish/seafood
    I'm all of the above. So, basically, I just don't eat meat or foul.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    My favorite group is Eating to Live...it's a group for those following the basic principles of Dr. Fuhrman...there are some who are very hard core and others who just like the idea of a plant based diet. So it is very friendly and welcoming...no bashing of people who don't eat 100% plant based. Everyone is basically working on their own version of that diet, doing what works for them.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    I was vegetarian for 20+ years, about 7 of which were vegan. Still eat mostly vegetarian but do eat chicken, beef and fish on occasion. I find I get really tired without a big dose of protein. It would be great to have some support. Go ahead and add me.
  • musiclover103
    musiclover103 Posts: 4 Member
    wait, me too!! i've been a vegetarian for a year and a half, and i would love some non-judgmental support!

(because let's be honest, i still have a weakness for oatmeal creme pies and mini butterfingers :happy: )

ETA: feel free to add me!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    I am against the killing of defenseless plants who have no way of fighting back.

I stick with meat as the animals can at least fight back or run away...
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member

You can get protein from dairy such as cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and cheese as well as beans, peanut butter, quinoa, and protein powders.

Chia seeds are known for swelling up which is why some people like them because they make them fuller. They give me a stomach ache. You just have to find the balance that works for you.
  • chelsfelt
    chelsfelt Posts: 39 Member
    As a vegetarian athlete aspiring to be as vegan as possible, I get my protein mostly from plant-based protein powder, which I add to my spinach and fruit smoothie I make once a day, or make a chocolate/almond butter/banana protein shake with almond milk. I also eat a container of greek yogurt once a day. Plants themselves have protein, as well. Broccoli has MORE protein per calorie than steak, but it takes a lot more broccoli to make up the caloric density of steak.

I always find that to be an interesting fact... watch Forks Over Knives, which comes at the idea of plant-based eating from a health perspective, and is a very educational watch. Can be found on netflix/ amazon prime
  • Bette872
    Bette872 Posts: 2 Member
    I am a vegan and have been for several years. I eat mostly plant based and occasionally will have some fish as Dr. Fuhrman says you need it occasionally or to take a supplement. I have read all the books out there by Neal Barnard, Dr. McDougall, Dr, Campbell, Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. Esselstyn. I have several cookbooks and am going to be reading a book on Raw Eating this week. I feel plant based vegetarians or vegan is the way to go for good health, but occasionally or on holidays it is good to eat a little meat. Dr. McDougall said he eat Turkey on Thanksgiving in one report that he did that I read. I gained weight on a vegan diet, but I am now testing to see what foods I am eating that have cause me to gain weight. I have 40 pounds to lose and plan to have it gone by May 2016.

Being 100% perfect is too hard. Just be yourselves and be happy and enjoy life.