anyone else with a meat intolerance?

2»

Replies

• lolliemonsta
    lolliemonsta Posts: 8 Member
    I have Crohn's Disease (CD) and one of my triggers is meat. I can't eat beef, lamb or pork in ANY form. I can't eat turkey, but I can occasionally eat chicken (but only breast meat) although if I eat too much I'm in trouble.
    I have no problems with fish, but I can't eat seafood, like calamari, crab or any shellfish really.
    Although this is an autoimmune problem for me, humans just aren't meant to eat so much meat. The digestion problems that it causes are just not worth it. You can still get all the protein and nutrients you need from plenty of other foods :)
  • Princ3ssj
    Princ3ssj Posts: 25 Member
    Your body knows what it wants and needs, I really wouldnt suggest trying to coax your body into accepting something it doesnt want.

Ill leave that at that.

Im vegan, if you have any questions or need help with getting your protein and vitamins etc into your diet, feel free to message me. And yes I get all the protein necessary.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    I wish I knew what triggers this sort of meat rejection. I also have is. Perhaps this is a common trend amongst ibs suffers.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    You said you use to be a meat eater. I heard that it takes time for your body to adjust back to a meat diet. Google says probiotics will help
  • BrittBrat1787
    BrittBrat1787 Posts: 136 Member
    I do! And I went vegan because of it. Best decision I made-- my stomach feel soooooo much better, my skin looks healthier, I don't feel as tired, and I lost a few pounds. But my favorite part? My stomach feels better!! That's whats worked for me.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    I had a food intolerance test done awhile ago and it came up that I'm intolerant to beef, horse and other horse like creatures including sheep. Luckily I'm okay with chicken, fish and pork for the most park, so I am lucky in that respect.

I do have to make sure things aren't made with beef broth etc. but other than that I'm fine except for some pretty awful gassyness as a result of eating those types of meat.

I'd make sure that you're actually intolerant to meat as opposed to just having difficulties with disgestion as a result of being a vegetarian. You can get lots of protein from things like Lentils and quinoa.

To me, being peanut/almond intolerant is the bigger issue. I can eat them, but.....
  • Have you tried digestive enzymes? They might help. NOW makes a good one.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    You said you use to be a meat eater. I heard that it takes time for your body to adjust back to a meat diet. Google says probiotics will help

I would try this. Probiotics are great. See if you can find Kefir at a health food store, it's even better for you than yogurt and also try to add the meat back slowly as said before. Try one type of meat at a time, some may be ok and some not.

Just noticed you said you cut out milk for financial reasons. Not sure if that means you won't have keffir, yogurt or other probiotics or not..
  • Princ3ssj
    Princ3ssj Posts: 25 Member
    I do! And I went vegan because of it. Best decision I made-- my stomach feel soooooo much better, my skin looks healthier, I don't feel as tired, and I lost a few pounds. But my favorite part? My stomach feels better!! That's whats worked for me.

this.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    I have kidney issues which get worse if I were to eat meat.
    Kidney problems = pain. I don't want to go there again!
    I'm actually over the idea of meat now anyway. It's like a non food to me.
  • You are definitely not alone. I developed IBS a little under 19 years ago. I developed intolerance to meats, poultry, fish, and shellfish at the same time, but we did not figure it out until a little under 16 years ago.

No amount of reintroduction or probiotics helped with this for me. Sometimes, it is best to just accept it instead of putting yourself in pain. Hopefully, that is not the case with you. I hate to see other people have to go through that.

If you are going to try to reintroduce meat, keep very detailed notes and a food journal.
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Not sure if anyone is still checking in on this topic but you are not alone!

I cannot eat red meat or poultry. Fish I'm fine with but any form of meat, even things like thinly sliced ham is a no go. If I do eat it, I get horrid stomach cramps and feel like throwing up but I can't. I tried to get answers about 6-7 years ago but really didn't get anywhere. I've been eating only fish for quite some time now as I literally cannot have any meat any more, the symptoms are too severe. I just went back to the doctor today to get more tests done as not only do I get pain from meat now but in general my stomach gets upset or I get bloating and pain but I don't know what from!

I would definitely get things checked out if you can. I was super worried I had some other disorder and didn't want to be doing damage to my body, especially if not being able to eat meat was only a by-product of some other problem. It has been so hard and I don't think I'm getting enough iron but the doc is going to check that out as well.

I hope you find answers and if anyone still checks in here, I will keep you updated.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I suppose I could try one teaspoon at a time. Would be very tempting to just stop at a teaspoon
    Why eat something that you know makes you ill that makes no sense.

N>B. just realised it's a resurrected thread my comment still stands though
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    I was having all sorts of problems with meat and dairy the last 3 or 4 years. I was constantly bloated, had stomach pain, was always constipated.... I cut back the Meat about 1 and a half years ago and the problems seemed to go away. But i found like most vegetarians i increased my dairy intake to account for the missing meat. Shortly after my problems came back! I think it might have been portion control and another part that my body truly can't handle it.

Now i eat am eating a plant based diet that is about 98% Vegan. If i am out of town like i was last weekend at the Music Festival and can Eat Vegan, that is cool.. the festival had a few vegan places. So the first day i ate Vegan. however, the second day for dinner we hat bought a 100% Veggie Burrito that had Cheese and Cream in it and it wasn't the end of the world. When I am at home i tend to lean more on the vegan side and all my bloating, constipation, stomach pain problems are gone. A little bit of dairy and meat don't seem to bother me... Still thinking about going Pure Vegan though because of the Environment, Animal Cruelty, and health reasons. About to make the jump!
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    I have kidney issues which get worse if I were to eat meat.
    Kidney problems = pain. I don't want to go there again!
    I'm actually over the idea of meat now anyway. It's like a non food to me.

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD).... I wasn't having pain yet because of my food choices but my protein was always too high in the urine. So that was another reason i switched off meat into a plant based diet.
  • LunaZuriel
    LunaZuriel Posts: 77 Member
    I don't get stomach pain, but I vomit...O_O Does that count? Only thing my stomach can handle is Chicken, Turkey(Small amounts), and Eggs(Also small amounts, as it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth). Anything else I upchuck. I wish I could eat normally..=-/
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    My wife seems to get a meat intolerance and a headache more and more often these days :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • Me! I never had a problem earing all sorts of meats until these recent 3-4 years. Every time I eat more than 3-4 pieces of chicken, I get excessive gas, bloating and stomach pains ^.=. Red meats are the worst though. A tad too much fish and eggs trigger it too :( Milk seems fine somehow (But then again I rarely drink milk soooooo yeap)