Does anyone do step aerobics??

KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
My mom has always been into fitness as I was growing up. She worked out just about every day of my growing up life. She is addicted to step aerobics and swears by it. She tells me all the time that I need to do it. She is 51 years old and still does the old school Reebok videos on youtube. I have rarely seen her lift heavy weights EVER. Mostly ankle weights and small hand weights. She has the best calves I have seen, awesome tight thighs and a perfectly round tight booty!

She left me her step when she moved to Australia and I was thinking of taking it out of the garage today to give it a try. She messages me daily to tell me she is getting ready to do her 45 min to over an hour step routine. Anyone else doing step aerobics and loving it as much as my mother??

Replies

• skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    I do!! And I am her age so that explains it :tongue:

Just started again actually last week as I had not used it for years after a back injury. So I am being a little careful now in the beginning , not jumping as much as they are doing. It is HARD CORE and legs will be of steel after doing step for some time.

The one I love is the Gin Miller dvd, just ordered it last week, still had my step sitting around so I was lucky not having to get one again. She gives super instruction throughout the workout which I love. She is the one doing the Reebok original step aerobic videos so I assume that is what your mother use as well :smile:

I love it!:happy: :happy:
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    I do Zumba Step, so it's not a traditional step class. It's ok, I have fun with it and it does seem to be effective in burning calories.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    I've done it twice so far and I don't love it as much as your mom, but it's decent haha. I can feel it today in my hamstrings and calves a bit. I'm not very good at it yet, which might be why I don't "love" it. I miss 30% of the steps lol. Fun to be at the front of the class like that :ohwell:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member

Just started again actually last week as I had not used it for years after a back injury. So I am being a little careful now in the beginning , not jumping as much as they are doing. It is HARD CORE and legs will be of steel after doing step for some time.

The one I love is the Gin Miller dvd, just ordered it last week, still had my step sitting around so I was lucky not having to get one again. She gives super instruction throughout the workout which I love. She is the one doing the Reebok original step aerobic videos so I assume that is what your mother use as well :smile:

Which Gin Miller dvd did you order.

I have Kathy Smith: Step Workout and Great Buns & Thighs Step Aerobics Workout.

Both give a good cardio workout.
  • KylaDenay
    I do Zumba Step, so it's not a traditional step class. It's ok, I have fun with it and it does seem to be effective in burning calories.

I do Zumba as my main workout, just about every day or other day. Do they have Zumba step on dvd or a wii game?? I need to look that up!!
  • KylaDenay

Haha I watched a few videos on youtube and thought to myself "ugh can I do this." My mother loves intense crazy cardio. Me not so much. I think I will give it a try today though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    My mom has always been into fitness as I was growing up. She worked out just about every day of my growing up life. She is addicted to step aerobics and swears by it. She tells me all the time that I need to do it. She is 51 years old and still does the old school Reebok videos on youtube. I have rarely seen her lift heavy weights EVER. Mostly ankle weights and small hand weights. She has the best calves I have seen, awesome tight thighs and a perfectly round tight booty!

She left me her step when she moved to Australia and I was thinking of taking it out of the garage today to give it a try. She messages me daily to tell me she is getting ready to do her 45 min to over an hour step routine. Anyone else doing step aerobics and loving it as much as my mother??

When I feel like choreography I do step. Also in my 50's. They do have new DVDs - not as common as other workout types, but out there. Don't feel like you need to settle for "big hair" and leg warmers.

Some ideas here:
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/190.htm
    http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=step

Step is great for low impact while still getting your heart rate up.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member

Which Gin Miller dvd did you order.

I have Kathy Smith: Step Workout and Great Buns & Thighs Step Aerobics Workout.

Both give a good cardio workout.

I have the one from Gin Miller called "The Video", it is my favorite.
    Her instructions, and the steps are very easy to follow.
    Figured I will get some more after I get into it a little more. Needed a change from my elliptical as I think my body was getting "used" to the one exercise , and I wanted a switch.
  • KylaDenay

When I feel like choreography I do step. Also in my 50's. They do have new DVDs - not as common as other workout types, but out there. Don't feel like you need to settle for "big hair" and leg warmers.

Some ideas here:
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/190.htm
    http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=step

Step is great for low impact while still getting your heart rate up.

Thank you for the links!! I actually saw Kim Kardashian's step video on youtube. Told my mother about it and she said she might try it. I would love to see more new videos.
  • tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    I do it at the Y sometimes. Its good cardio. Watch your knees, though. Don't start on a high step. Also don' give up after the first time. It takes a few times to get in the groove.
  • KylaDenay
    I do it at the Y sometimes. Its good cardio. Watch your knees, though. Don't start on a high step. Also don' give up after the first time. It takes a few times to get in the groove.

Thank you so much for the tip!!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member

I do Zumba as my main workout, just about every day or other day. Do they have Zumba step on dvd or a wii game?? I need to look that up!!

I'm not sure! I do mine as a class at my gym (24 hour fitness).
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I did it back in the early 1980's. I was in great shape but I was also running cross-country and lifting weights. I was 98 lbs of super lean,strong muscle!
    I wore the leg warmer's and leotard,too!ugh!
    I don't think I could do it anymore. My knees are pretty messed up from something unrelated.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    I like step. Not quite as much as zumba and old-fashioned hi/lo aerobics, but I like it.
    I much prefer classes over videos, though.
    That said, I like Christi Taylor's videos. Also Cathe Friedrich's.

My old gym had both step and zumba, so I could do one class of each every week. I did step 1-2 times a week for about five years. My new gym only has zumba (as well as other cardio classes, of course). I do miss my old step class and sometimes even think about re-joining just for that one class, but I keep telling myself that would be crazy.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Look up Jenny Ford Step Aerobics on YouTube. She has a series of step videos on there. I do advanced step class at my gym once a week. I've only been doing it for a few months. I like the way the advanced classes keep your brain so busy trying to follow that the class goes by in a flash.
  • KylaDenay
    Look up Jenny Ford Step Aerobics on YouTube. She has a series of step videos on there. I do advanced step class at my gym once a week. I've only been doing it for a few months. I like the way the advanced classes keep your brain so busy trying to follow that the class goes by in a flash.

Yes that's who it is JENNY FORD! That is who my mother told me to look up!!

• KylaDenay
    I did it back in the early 1980's. I was in great shape but I was also running cross-country and lifting weights. I was 98 lbs of super lean,strong muscle!
    I wore the leg warmer's and leotard,too!ugh!
    I don't think I could do it anymore. My knees are pretty messed up from something unrelated.

Haaa I am big on the 80's and am a 80's baby. I love the leotards and leg warmers. I would wear them now if I looked great in it!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I do step aerobics, but I do them in my own home to CDs I've bought for my own personal use. I took a step aerobics class when I was deployed in the Middle East, and the instructor I had was around 35 years old, and she made it HIGH intensity. None of this Jane Fonda stuff.

I do my own routine modeled after hers. It includes a lot of jumping jacks with weighted gloves, punches/kicks, and plyometric-type stuff, like jumping up on the step. I burn about 600-700 calories in a one hour workout.

If you do a workout that's as intense as you can handle, step aerobics can be a very effective full-body cardio routine.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member

They have Zumba for Wii. I enjoy the class at my gym more, but it's good if you can't get to a regular class.