Does anyone do step aerobics??

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I do Zumba Step, so it's not a traditional step class. It's ok, I have fun with it and it does seem to be effective in burning calories.

I do Zumba as my main workout, just about every day or other day. Do they have Zumba step on dvd or a wii game?? I need to look that up!!

They have Zumba for Wii. I enjoy the class at my gym more, but it's good if you can't get to a regular class.

Oh I know, I am doing Zumba on my Wii now, I just wanted to know if they have Zumba Step for Wii. I looked it up and the closest for at home is the Zumba Incredible Results DVD set.
  • KylaDenay
    I do step aerobics, but I do them in my own home to CDs I've bought for my own personal use. I took a step aerobics class when I was deployed in the Middle East, and the instructor I had was around 35 years old, and she made it HIGH intensity. None of this Jane Fonda stuff.

I do my own routine modeled after hers. It includes a lot of jumping jacks with weighted gloves, punches/kicks, and plyometric-type stuff, like jumping up on the step. I burn about 600-700 calories in a one hour workout.

If you do a workout that's as intense as you can handle, step aerobics can be a very effective full-body cardio routine.

OMG its sounds scary, but I would def love to do your workout!! That sounds like fun to me. I want to get used to it, so I can do my own step workouts without videos.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    i don't think I'm on par with your mother, but I do agree that step aerobics is excellent exercise. I used to have a Jane Fonda step aerobics VHS that I loved and did regularly. I got back into when I got my Wii Fit.

I'm very fickle with exercise so I don't do it regularly any more. But, I still keep my step in the living room behind the couch and pull it out on a semi-regular basis to do step aerobics with I watch TV.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I do Zumba Step, so it's not a traditional step class. It's ok, I have fun with it and it does seem to be effective in burning calories.

I do Zumba as my main workout, just about every day or other day. Do they have Zumba step on dvd or a wii game?? I need to look that up!!

Yes, the latest set of Zumba DVDs use a step. You can check it out at www.zumba.com
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    I love it too! I am very out of shape, so I use the lowest level of step (5" I think) and just pace myself accordingly. You can make your work out more challenging by raising the level of step, as long as it does not bother your knees! I alternate with swimming a few times a week until I get my weight back down. Good luck and have fun!
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Oh, also The Firm has some great step DVD's.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    I love step!! One of my circuits uses it!
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    I love step!! One of my circuits uses it!
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    I DOOO!!!! AND I LOVE IT!! It's fun, a great workout... and gotta admit, I got killer calves as well.... And I'm only 18!! It's the best and you should try it!! XD
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    My mom has always been into fitness as I was growing up. She worked out just about every day of my growing up life. She is addicted to step aerobics and swears by it. She tells me all the time that I need to do it. She is 51 years old and still does the old school Reebok videos on youtube. I have rarely seen her lift heavy weights EVER. Mostly ankle weights and small hand weights. She has the best calves I have seen, awesome tight thighs and a perfectly round tight booty!

She left me her step when she moved to Australia and I was thinking of taking it out of the garage today to give it a try. She messages me daily to tell me she is getting ready to do her 45 min to over an hour step routine. Anyone else doing step aerobics and loving it as much as my mother??

Yep, I love it. I too do the original Reebok classes with Gin Miller (I am 46!). She is awesome! I would say do it! However I would also say as a supplement to other w/o routines, like lifting weights.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    I have and I loved it until my knees started to get worse. It is great cardio and honestly fun. I have a (watch out) VHS that is from the early 90's with Nadia Comalique (Russian Gymnast) and it is honestly one of my fav's. Wee used to do it in my College Gym class.

Oh and I'm 31!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I do a step class at my gym and it's a really good workout. Sometimes the instructor has us using weights too, and there's always an abs workout at the end of the class.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Ohh this brings back some lovely memories. Step classes - 2 blocks please and no break for 60 mins of stepping. After doing it 3 times a week - you bum and thighs were really firming up. I see there is a step class at gym I have just joined - just 1 session a week. Maybe it will be like fashion - come round every 7 years.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    I used to go 4-5 times a week. It was fun and a class that I really enjoyed. My current gym doesn't offer classes, and I miss it.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    lol This reminds me of the old "Buns of Steel" step aerobics VHS my mom used to own... Sometimes I'd do it with her. It was fun. I'd actually probably enjoy doing this again! I'll have to see if I can find an inexpensive step of some sort and check out what's on Youtube.
  • KylaDenay
    Oh man I honestly didn't even know they had step classes at the gym until you all just said so!. I'm not a member of any gym though, so I have to stick to youtube or dvd's. I also thought my mother was the only one doing it and that it was so old school no one does it anymore haha. I'll definitely listen to her now and not let it go in one ear and out the other! Thank you for all the input. I love reading what you all have to say!
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    bump to reply later!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    lol This reminds me of the old "Buns of Steel" step aerobics VHS my mom used to own... Sometimes I'd do it with her. It was fun. I'd actually probably enjoy doing this again! I'll have to see if I can find an inexpensive step of some sort and check out what's on Youtube.

Try thrift stores.....Goodwill, etc. Craig's List..... or do they still have Play It Again stores?

The cheapest (new) I found was at Wal-Mart. My Gold's Gym step was $27 in store, but the price on those has gone up.

Looks like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-40-0005-Aerobic-Step/dp/B003QT53RM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403548300&sr=8-5&keywords=step+bench

Sturdy bench with skid proof top.....but 8" is not an option. The extra width comes in handy, I'm not the most coordinated.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I do Group Blast at my gym by mossa and it is awesome. It is my fave class. They took out all the dance and funky choreo and made it purely athletic set to !music. Tons of squats, lunges, burpees, knees, running, plyo, push ups, etc. Such a fun and great workout!
  • KylaDenay

Try thrift stores.....Goodwill, etc. Craig's List..... or do they still have Play It Again stores?

The cheapest (new) I found was at Wal-Mart. My Gold's Gym step was $27 in store, but the price on those has gone up.

Looks like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-40-0005-Aerobic-Step/dp/B003QT53RM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1403548300&sr=8-5&keywords=step+bench

Sturdy bench with skid proof top.....but 8" is not an option. The extra width comes in handy, I'm not the most coordinated.

Yes they do.have Play it Again Sports! Love that store. I get my weights from there.

Great info!