Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    bumping to watch later
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Need to watch this when I get home.

Garcinia WHAT NOW, Mehmet!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Dr. Oz is another sad case of Oprahfication. He was a respected cardiologist until he got involved with her, and her influence negated all of that and he turned into a snakeoil salesman. He has lost all credibility, even in his specialty.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    So glad John Oliver did this. How appalling that a health professional who has the attention of so many people decides to peddle unsafe (or at the very least ineffective) supplements as a magical cure instead of actually telling the truth and helping people understand.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I'll be serious for a change.

I've never been a fan of Dr. Oz, but I think his show probably helped a lot of people when he first got started. I think he has good intentions and started out giving good, sound advice.

Diet Supplements are a huge industry. One of the biggest money makers ever. This industry recognized that Oz's endorsements could be pure gold. Was he corrupted? Possibly. I'm sure he's making millions for his endorsements.

People love to see when people on top topple. Hence, this thread. Now we can judge him. I still don't care for Dr. Oz, but I care even less for the hypocritical judgement by the same people that have, at one time or another, bought "miracle" supplements for losing weight, Most of us have.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    I love John Oliver, every episode I see of his kicks *kitten* and this is no exception. Awesome!! Muckraking at its finest.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member

I've never been a fan of Dr. Oz, but I think his show probably helped a lot of people when he first got started. I think he has good intentions and started out giving good, sound advice.

Diet Supplements are a huge industry. One of the biggest money makers ever. This industry recognized that Oz's endorsements could be pure gold. Was he corrupted? Possibly. I'm sure he's making millions for his endorsements.

People love to see when people on top topple. Hence, this thread. Now we can judge him. I still don't care for Dr. Oz, but I care even less for the hypocritical judgement by the same people that have, at one time or another, bought "miracle" supplements for losing weight, Most of us have.

It's not "hypocritical" judgment. It is critical judgment. There is a difference. He should be ashamed of himself for his actions. It isn't the diet industry criticizing him. It is us. It is comedians. It is Congress (okay, maybe a little hypocrisy on the part of a few who created this mess with the failure to allow the FDA to regulate supplements). Oz claims he isn't endorsing. That's a flat-out lie, and he deserves to be ridiculed for it.

ETA: It isn't hypocrisy to take a supplement and realize it is bullsh1t. It is education. Most of the people who fall for this crap aren't doctors or scientists. Most are seeking help. Without the ability to criticize charlatans, how exactly are we supposed to learn to stop buying into the bs?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Tagging for later
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member

It's not "hypocritical" judgment. It is critical judgment. There is a difference. He should be ashamed of himself for his actions. It isn't the diet industry criticizing him. It is us. It is comedians. It is Congress (okay, maybe a little hypocrisy on the part of a few who created this mess with the failure to allow the FDA to regulate supplements). Oz claims he isn't endorsing. That's a flat-out lie, and he deserves to be ridiculed for it.

ETA: It isn't hypocrisy to take a supplement and realize it is bullsh1t. It is education. Most of the people who fall for this crap aren't doctors or scientists. Most are seeking help. Without the ability to criticize charlatans, how exactly are we supposed to learn to stop buying into the bs?

How many people that have weighed in on this thread would have been corrupted by the new found millions? Oh, I know the answers that will be given. They will include references to integrity, accountability, Hippocratic Oath, etc, but, no one that has weighed in has been offered milions for their favorable opinions.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    bump to watch WHEN I'M NOT AT WORK lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Yes
  • ackman2002
    ackman2002 Posts: 69 Member
    Awesome. Saw it on TV. It's about time someone really tell the truth.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Love John Oliver, love this.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Bump to read later.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member

I see your point Roaddog!
    I have to say though that I would not know what the latest snake oil diet supplement was without the aid of tuning in to Dr. Oz's show. He does offer some good information when not talking about weight loss. I was skeptical of him when a week after his show started, he warned against school kids eating applesauce because apple seeds contain cyanide. With all of the accessibility of children to consume cola, and chips and other foods that are nutritiously light, he picks on applesauce. Gee!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member

How many people that have weighed in on this thread would have been corrupted by the new found millions? Oh, I know the answers that will be given. They will include references to integrity, accountability, Hippocratic Oath, etc, but, no one that has weighed in has been offered milions for their favorable opinions.

And if I am ever offered millions for my opinions, hopefully I will have the right moral character to call bs when I see it.

It's a false dichotomy.